My First Post, First Mini C&C

Thread: My First Post, First Mini C&C

Default My First Post, First Mini C&C

Well, here is my first mini... (Not sure why, but can only see the full first image if I zoom out to 80%)

Name:  IajWxXy.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  478.6 KBName:  h7CZKwf.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  368.0 KBName:  v8tLChD.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  446.9 KBName:  SLlhyer.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  350.3 KB

I did my base coats and everything looked nice and smooth, I thought about just leaving it that way. Once I started to shade it started going down hill...

The cloak and helmet plume turned out pretty great IMO. A base coat in a mixed runic purple and oceanic blue. I used a purple wash to get the shadows and a lighter purple to get the highlights and then a glazed down base coat to 'blend' them together. Seemed to work well enough. The rest of the model, well, didn't go so smooth.

The cloth was a creamy bleached linen. I wasn't sure how to shade it, really. I tried a light nuln oil and didn't have a great effect. It made the whole thing look dingy and dirty even if I just targeted the folds. I tried to correct it with a glazed bleached linen but it made it look chalky and streaky... I guess too much water was the culprit here? I am not real sure how to correct it.

The armor, a filigree silver, looks alright after a nuln oil pass, but now, at least in the pics, it looks all bumpy/grainy and I am not sure why.
    The shield, weapon, and jewelry are done with blade steel and seem to pop their details well enough but the shading doesn't reflect what I expected. I tried to dry brush with the filigree silver and the base coat after the wash but it ended up getting in places I didn't want and still didn't provide the needed contrast.

The runes on the shield and the eyes are done in a cats-eye green. I though that it would complement the colors used and the shield needed some more contrast. The eyes I wanted to glow green.

By taking a picture it really accentuated my follies. I didn't even notice the eyes were so horrible until I took the picture, along with a slew of other things.

I don't have as many colors as I am sure many do but I have the reaper msp bones palette (below).

My skill could definitely use some improvement but there are some things I feel I did well and there are some definite areas for improvement. All in all, I would say it's a decent attempt for a first model. :shrug:

If anyone would care to offer any comments, criticism, hints/tricks, and/or suggestions I would be happy to hear what you have to offer. Much appreciated, thank you for stopping by, and have a great day! =D

First off, WELCOME!!

For a first attempt, don't be too hard on yourself. As anyone of us will assure you, this hobby has a pretty steep learning curve, certainly if you are comparing your work against the highest level that can be found here and elsewhere. In your first few models, you are learning a lot of different concepts, all at the same time. Am I thinning my paint right? Is this the direction that I should be pulling the brush? How do I represent the right amount of contrast? Does this color palette work? Should I be using matte medium, glazing medium, and/or flow aid? etc, etc.

My advice, (for what it's worth coming from a noob), focus on 1 or 2 things each model that you want to work on...ex. this model, let's focus on base coat and washing. Get the base coat on in the right consistency and in the right places. Washes: maybe thinning down the black shade will allow for the more subtle transitions you were looking for on the cloth, or maybe a gray wash would be better suited for your project.

Others will chime in with some pretty great suggestions; take them to heart. There is some really impressive talent on this forum, and the general attitude is that we are all still learning, so we are all more than happy to help others with what we have learned.

Keep at it! Your work will improve with every new project!

Welcome to painting and nice job for first time. The blue does look pretty good.
    Here are a few pointers (but keep in mind I am still relatively new at this)*
    1. white, it can be a problem to paint anyway as it can easily go chalky, but you can use a grey, yellow, or blue glaze (just add extra water or flow improver to the paint to thin it out more) or other colors depending on if you want it warm or cool appearing
    2. Instead of dry brushing the highlights on to the metal, thin the paint a little more and use a brush with a fine point and use the edge of the brush where you can and the point if it is in small or tight areas. That will work better than dry brushing
    3. If you don't have one, I would recommend getting at least one Kolinsky Sable brush size 1 or 2 (some brands: Raphael 8404, Winsor & Newton Series 7, Rosemary and Co Artist brushes, etc) as it will greatly help with the finer detail. You should be able to get one for $15 or so either from an art supply store or online.
    4. Keep posting here and you will get feedback from better artists than myself, and ask questions as well.
    5. Watch some videos (painting buddha, Vincent Ventura, Next Level Painting, etc) on youtube.
    6. If you have any miniature/gaming conventions around you (or you can get to one) I would recommend going to a painting course or three if you can.
    7. Keep on painting, you will see improvements as you get the hang of things.

*disregard if you have already done some or all of this

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeebs View Post
    First off, WELCOME!!

For a first attempt, don't be too hard on yourself. As anyone of us will assure you, this hobby has a pretty steep learning curve, certainly if you are comparing your work against the highest level that can be found here and elsewhere. In your first few models, you are learning a lot of different concepts, all at the same time. Am I thinning my paint right? Is this the direction that I should be pulling the brush? How do I represent the right amount of contrast? Does this color palette work? Should I be using matte medium, glazing medium, and/or flow aid? etc, etc.

My advice, (for what it's worth coming from a noob), focus on 1 or 2 things each model that you want to work on...ex. this model, let's focus on base coat and washing. Get the base coat on in the right consistency and in the right places. Washes: maybe thinning down the black shade will allow for the more subtle transitions you were looking for on the cloth, or maybe a gray wash would be better suited for your project.

Others will chime in with some pretty great suggestions; take them to heart. There is some really impressive talent on this forum, and the general attitude is that we are all still learning, so we are all more than happy to help others with what we have learned.

Keep at it! Your work will improve with every new project!
    I agree, thank you for the encouragement. I think some medium for the bleached linen would likely improve it a little bit. I will give it a whirl when I get a little bit of time. That's the worst thing about the model IMO, just stands out so much. I tried to stick with just a base coat, a wash, and some minor highlighting. Didn't want to dip into wet blending or anything like that until a little later. Like you say, just trying to get the basics down I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Welcome to painting and nice job for first time. The blue does look pretty good.
    Here are a few pointers (but keep in mind I am still relatively new at this)*
    1. white, it can be a problem to paint anyway as it can easily go chalky, but you can use a grey, yellow, or blue glaze (just add extra water or flow improver to the paint to thin it out more) or other colors depending on if you want it warm or cool appearing
    2. Instead of dry brushing the highlights on to the metal, thin the paint a little more and use a brush with a fine point and use the edge of the brush where you can and the point if it is in small or tight areas. That will work better than dry brushing
    3. If you don't have one, I would recommend getting at least one Kolinsky Sable brush size 1 or 2 (some brands: Raphael 8404, Winsor & Newton Series 7, Rosemary and Co Artist brushes, etc) as it will greatly help with the finer detail. You should be able to get one for $15 or so either from an art supply store or online.
    4. Keep posting here and you will get feedback from better artists than myself, and ask questions as well.
    5. Watch some videos (painting buddha, Vincent Ventura, Next Level Painting, etc) on youtube.
    6. If you have any miniature/gaming conventions around you (or you can get to one) I would recommend going to a painting course or three if you can.
    7. Keep on painting, you will see improvements as you get the hang of things.

*disregard if you have already done some or all of this
    Thank you.

1. I got the 6-pack of shades from citadel and there is no grey glaze in there which is why I tried the nuln oil. Perhaps adding a bit of medium will lighten it up? If not, maybe I can just try another color to get that gradual shade instead of the stark transition?
    2. I will try the edge-highlight on the metals and see how that improves things.
    3. I tried to buy a Winsor & Newton Series 7 #1 and #0, but only one I could get my hands on was a 00. I used it for the small details such as the eyes and shield runes. Other than that, I just have gold taklon 1-4 round brushes which seem to be doing okay. I
    4. That is my goal. I feel outside comments will help point out or direct my attention to things I have overlooked/missed/or am unaware of.
    5. I will have to look into those channels, thank you. I have watched Sam Lens' tutorials, Miniac, and RobPaintsMinis but just so much to digest. Like they say, one can watch all day but until paint meets mini, one cannot learn. So just needed to dive in and see where my initial skills took me.
    6. I live in BFE and nearest place would be about 2 hours away. Though, it might be worth going. I will have to see if I can find anything in Phoenix.
    7. Appreciate the motivation. I will do just that! haha

Welcome
    Regarding the white robes, as the armour is a cold blue I would suggest a warm white for contrast. Instead of trying to shade the base white down try to layer up from a very light tan colour. From your chart maybe a base coat of desert sand then by adding successive spots of skeleton bone of say 4-5 stages leaving a margin of the darker stage in place you will get a graduated layer leading up to pure skeleton bone. Keep each stage thin a build the layers up. Top tip make sure each layer is dry before adding the next. Use a hair dryer.

Keep at it
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Welcome
    Regarding the white robes, as the armour is a cold blue I would suggest a warm white for contrast. Instead of trying to shade the base white down try to layer up from a very light tan colour. From your chart maybe a base coat of desert sand then by adding successive spots of skeleton bone of say 4-5 stages leaving a margin of the darker stage in place you will get a graduated layer leading up to pure skeleton bone. Keep each stage thin a build the layers up. Top tip make sure each layer is dry before adding the next. Use a hair dryer.

Keep at it
    Thank you, I will try that. Would you recommend watering down the layers with water or a matte medium?

I always use just water with a tiny drop of dish soap added.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I am wasn't talking about the GW washes. Glazes act differently than washes. Washes are meant to flow to the low points/recesses of the mini, while glazes are meant to coat the top and not sink in, but best to watch some videos on it first. But I agree with ten ball, that it would be better painting up from a darker color for the white. As for the Winsor & Newton or similar brush, try some online hobby stores (for example https://www.competitionminis.com/, but there are others if you search) where you should be able to get a 1 or 2 brush.

Tip-everyone has given great advice. From my two cent bank- just keep painting and paint bravely- try blending etc. don’t be afraid. If you don’t try things such as the harder more advanced basics you’ll never improve beyond the skills you have mate.
    BaM

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    I am wasn't talking about the GW washes. Glazes act differently than washes. Washes are meant to flow to the low points/recesses of the mini, while glazes are meant to coat the top and not sink in, but best to watch some videos on it first. But I agree with ten ball, that it would be better painting up from a darker color for the white. As for the Winsor & Newton or similar brush, try some online hobby stores (for example https://www.competitionminis.com/, but there are others if you search) where you should be able to get a 1 or 2 brush.
    Ah, I understand now. Thank you. Will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Tip-everyone has given great advice. From my two cent bank- just keep painting and paint bravely- try blending etc. don’t be afraid. If you don’t try things such as the harder more advanced basics you’ll never improve beyond the skills you have mate.
    BaM
    Yes, I agree. Much like video games, I always start on the hardest level and press on. I just felt there was so much going on I haven't tried here before so I wanted to take it in chunks. When I tackle the 'ghosts' of the set I plan to try blending as they have nice long cloaks and such. I figured it would give a 'user friendly' starting ground. Thank you for the $0.02