Ability Stacking

Thread: Ability Stacking

Default Ability Stacking

An issue arose last night during a game. I have researched it here, on the forums, but I want to make certain we have a clear understanding to resolve the conversation which ensued.

At issue:
    FLANK BONUS: When a unit makes a Melee Attack while in a Flank Arc of an enemy, that enemy suffers -1 to their Defense Save rolls, as well as a -1 to their Panic Test roll.
    REAR BONUS: When a unit makes a Melee Attack while in the Rear Arc of an enemy, that enemy suffers -2 to their Defense Save rolls, as well as a -2 to their Panic Test roll.

ABILITY STACKING Sometimes a unit will be granted an ability it already had, such as playing a Tactics card that grants Sundering onto a unit that already had Sundering. Effects and Abilities with the same name are not cumulative: a unit either has the Ability or it does not have the Ability!Note, however, that sometimes Abilities might grant similar effects but do not have the same name. In these cases, the effects are cumulative. Example 1: An attack with Sundering (Defenders suffer -1 to Defense Save rolls) hits an enemy on the Flank. The Flank Bonus is Defenders suffer -1 to Defense Save rolls and -1 to Panic Test rolls. Even though these effects are similar, they do not share the same name, so the enemy would suffer a total of -2 to Defense Save rolls and -1 to Panic Test rolls for that attack.

Scenario 1:
    A unit within short rang of a corpse pile was attacked from the flank and took the -2 on their panic test (-1 corpse pile) and (-1 flank). Later, Cersei took the crown and caused the same unit to take a panic test. This question arose: does the unit still suffer the flank debuff (-1) in addition to the (-2 Cersei Influence), (-1 Crown) and (-1 corpse pile)?

I argued no, because the flank or rear bonus applies only during that attack. The contrary opinion was due to ability stacking, all debuffs still apply while the unit is being flanked. Just as corpse piles always apply due to proximity, so should a flank bonus. Each debuff has a different name.

Scenario 2:
    My unit is engaged with an enemy unit on its right flank near a corpse pile and my unit has Cersei’s influence card. I attack the enemy unit with a ranged attack from its left flank. After the saves and the enemy unit’s panic test, I have to make a panic test. Does my unit suffer (-2 from Cersei’s card) and (-1 from the corpse pile) during that test? But, my unit does not suffer another (-2 from my rear attack) because it was not my target?

I believe all of that is correct. Again, the corpse pile is a short-range proximity test. Cersei’s card influence is until the end of the round.

Thoughts?

From my understanding, you are correct in both scenarios. The flank bonus is only in effect during the attack on said flank. Otherwise, it would get crazy as units become progressively more surrounded.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Thank you for the reply.

It makes sense that the flank and rear bonuses only apply to attacks from the unit attacking from the flank or rear. However you could also argue that the bonuses apply due to the panic induced by being attacked in the flank or rear. This panic would presumably still be affecting the unit for subsequent tests.

Ultimately I agree with your reading of the situation, because the flank and rear bonuses are coming specifically from the attacks, but I can understand why the confusion might exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rkesterton View Post
    It makes sense that the flank and rear bonuses only apply to attacks from the unit attacking from the flank or rear. However you could also argue that the bonuses apply due to the panic induced by being attacked in the flank or rear. This panic would presumably still be affecting the unit for subsequent tests.

Ultimately I agree with your reading of the situation, because the flank and rear bonuses are coming specifically from the attacks, but I can understand why the confusion might exist.

The rules state this is a bonus to the actual Attack, not something that passively happens. They are quite clear on this.