The Best Paints For Miniatures & Wargames Models?

Thread: The Best Paints For Miniatures & Wargames Models?

Default The Best Paints For Miniatures & Wargames Models?

Hey Guys.

Here's a little post I wrote after a massive poll, over 18k votes and a lot of research into different brands. Took about 30+ hours to Poll, compile and research.

Would like everyones thoughts. Is there a brand missing from the list that should be on here?

Just a heads up. they are all considered the "Best Paints" for any given reason, the ordering is just the popularity of that brand in the community. It's not saying Citadel is better than Pro Acryl

I agree with your post. Rankings are a false sense of true placing in polls that compare products and why you should take ALL of them with a grain of salt. Sometimes it comes down to dumb luck. Sometimes companies have the capacity to saturate the market with advertising and smart product placement. Sometimes companies throw free samples around and pay or induce leaders in a field to use their product. Sometimes the product is actually that shit hot we all have to have it. Humans in general are sheep. Me included, I’m not trying to be derogatory. If we see so and so using such and such we are more inclined to use it ourselves. Maybe this is why we all use Winsor and Newton’s Series 7 when pretty much the quality has halved while the price has double. Throw any GW product in that group too.
    Paint all comes down to personal preference. It’s what suits your own style. Don’t try to mash that style to suit anyone else. If you are starting out try to get a couple of paints in different brands. Make up your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    I agree with your post. Rankings are a false sense of true placing in polls that compare products and why you should take ALL of them with a grain of salt. Sometimes it comes down to dumb luck. Sometimes companies have the capacity to saturate the market with advertising and smart product placement. Sometimes companies throw free samples around and pay or induce leaders in a field to use their product. Sometimes the product is actually that shit hot we all have to have it. Humans in general are sheep. Me included, I’m not trying to be derogatory. If we see so and so using such and such we are more inclined to use it ourselves. Maybe this is why we all use Winsor and Newton’s Series 7 when pretty much the quality has halved while the price has double. Throw any GW product in that group too.
    Paint all comes down to personal preference. It’s what suits your own style. Don’t try to mash that style to suit anyone else. If you are starting out try to get a couple of paints in different brands. Make up your own mind.
    Wow, you should have written the article!

Yeah, this is everything I was trying to say summed up neatly. Unfotunately I need to use Clickbaity titles to even get an article found on the web. But yeah the inetntion was to bait people win with "Come see what the best paints are" and then answer with, "IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!" stop looking for the best, there isn't one. But here's a load of options for you to consider and why they may be a good fit for you.

I was a GW fanboy for years. Then, on a whim, I bought Vallejo 70.950 Black. It changed my life. I haven't becaome a Vallejo Fanboy. I've become a fan of all paints and want to experiment with as many as I can to find what works best for me.

But like with this tutorial by Brushstroke https://www.fauxhammer.com/tutorials...tutorial-2019/. The main paint is by a company called Decoart. One of the most generic, none-miniature paint brand you could get.