Miniature Survey

Thread: Miniature Survey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Miniature Survey

Hi Guys,

A couple of friends are I are working on a project to create a tool to keep track of all the miniatures we have laying around in the office studio.
    We glue an NFC disk to the bottom of the mini so anyone can quickly scan the ID on a reader and get all the game-specific information needed in games.
    Here's a sample picture of what we got so far...

Name:  StandSample.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  19.8 KB

We really like to know what you think and how everyone uses their miniatures.
    Please take some time to fill out the short survey below, this would be very helpful for us, thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...G1zRw/viewform

8000 + Minis ........ain’t gonna work for me.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Wow, that is quite a number! Even more than what a typical store would have in stock.

I really would like to know how you organize all those miniatures, by the game they came from? the size and dimension of the miniatures? or is there an alternative method a collector such as you would use.

Quote Originally Posted by firewindshadow View Post
    Wow, that is quite a number! Even more than what a typical store would have in stock.
    That’s not all that uncommon amongst ‘veteran war gamers’.
    A couple WW2 players I know have Division level armies of both Axis and Allied powers.

My Sisters of Battle army consists of some 200 figures before vehicles, Original Imperial Guard about the same, Chaos 170-180, Eldar over 500.
    And that’s not taking into account the WW2 British and Canadian, Samurai, Fantasy, Steampunk or D&D sets.
    And then there’s my Rackham collectors pieces.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 05-15-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    And then there’s my Rackham collectors pieces.
    ... those are always large. I really loved the R minis, so from just 4 armies (that I collected) I have about 192liters of it (3x 64l box filled ) + some extras.
    hmm if I add all the others I have to the R ones I'm still under 4000 minis, so the DR collection must take up a lot of space.

as for the idea of a nfc disk or similar and using phones to track / get info: not a really new idea (see ex-illis as one of the first examples) and not a very successful either (see all up to now). I guess the mini using community is pretty much offline.
    Personally I needed something to track what I bought (to protect against buying multiples) and what I painted. But for that a simple online Excel sheet was more than enough.

And a big question is : if it would be just used at home for tracking own figures how would it handle multiple rules, so not just GW, but in general and how would it handle the biggest problem with a rule-showing app: Ip/Tm protection of companies. They'll just send out CnD letters (and then legal ones summoning for trials) super fast.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    And a big question is : if it would be just used at home for tracking own figures how would it handle multiple rules, so not just GW, but in general and how would it handle the biggest problem with a rule-showing app: Ip/Tm protection of companies. They'll just send out CnD letters (and then legal ones summoning for trials) super fast.
    Thanks MAXXxxx, I'll check out ex-illis.

It's important to think from mini's point of view and not game; we want someone everyone can use and not just tied down to one game system.
    Collectors would be interested to scan and see where the mini came from, painted date, painter's name...
    Players would be interested to scan and see the supported game data, squad building, tweak the values, use it in different games.

The big question answer is : There are different templates for different games, and the platform could be build to support multiple templates under each mini. Images and names are copy protected by the company, while game rule is in the grey area.
    If there are a lot of interests in the community, there will be a way to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    8000 + Minis ........ain’t gonna work for me.

Oh your poor suffering wife!

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Oh your poor suffering wife!
    You have NO idea.
    , and proud of it.