Styr's army

Thread: Styr's army

Default Styr's army

This is a don't tested army list, but in theory work well.

Faction: Free Folk
    Commander: Styr - Magnar Of Thenn

Combat Units:
    • Followers Of Bone (6)
    with Styr - Magnar Of Thenn (0)
    • Followers Of Bone (6)
    with Champion Of Bone (1)
    • Savage Giant (7)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    with Raid Leader (1)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    with Raid Leader (1)
    • Free Folk Trapper (4)
    with The Weeper - Cruel Tyrant (2)

Non-Combat Units:
    • Craster - Ally of Convenience (3)
    • Lady Val - The Wildling Princess (3)

How to use that?
    This army is to outlast you oponent and make him pay for every attack he made. Free Folk don't have great armour or good morale, but they best defence is offence. Strike first, use morale tests to bleed out oponent, use horde of units to tarpit and flank enemy, use BIG club ( hello Mr. Giant), heal best units ( Craster, Regroup & Reform, wealth) and when you oponent strke, he bleed too (Styr's ability and tactic, Followers tactic).

Core of this army is two units of Followers . Two units of raides, they are flanking force and give ability (ok, not unit but attachment) to activate (and hit) with to units in one activation. Trappers stay behind, hold obiectiv, shot, use Weeper ability, use trap and give troops to "regroup and reform" core units. Giant Strike last, after all hard-hitting enemy units are activated and finish them.

What is the strategy?

This list is made to use 100% of every strategy card
    - "Swift advance" - great boost to get into charge position
    - "Group assault" & "Distracion tactic" - great card, because in many times you will outnumber and outmanouver enemy.
    - "surrouded and exposed" - good card if you don't want to get hurt by very hard and costy units
    - There's too many! - works well with Followers and Weeper
    - "endless horde" - we don't have strong armour or good morale, but we can respawn one of strong infantry units
    - "regroup and reform" - one of many ways to heal core infantry unit, if you will kill one of insignificant units is great way to use next card
    - "Styr's vengens" - at first look i don't like this one. I must gues which of my units die, and let it die. On second thought I see raides, cheap insignificant unit. If it die doesn't matter. If last rank attack, raid lider activate core unit and then die by "regroup and reform" is pure profit, boosted core unit may strike again.
    - "set for charge" & "final strike" - two defence tactic which will make the enemy pay for attack. First one is made for strong units (and it is not limited to infantry) and can kill or seriously damage enemy before they attack. Second is infantry only and can finish units with weak defence and strong attack.

I think Styr has the potential to be really good, but a few things have kept me from seriously considering him just yet. 1) the Thenn Warriors box isn't out yet and I'd like to see what they add to our arsenal (dare I hope for 3+ defense???), & 2) Styr as an NCU is SO good it almost keeps me from considering him as a commander.

I made a list for Styr, and out of the FFH box so far he has been the best commander. I agree about wanting him as an NCU as well. As far as I can tell, his cards help you retaliate - so I was split between Cave Dwellers and Raiders:

Cave Dweller Savages - Styr (C)
    Free Folk Raiders - Harma
    Free Folk Raiders - Raid Leader
    Cave Dweller Savages - Raid Leader
    Savage Giant
    Savage Giant

NCUs
    Ygritte, Kissed By Fire
    Mance Rayder, Artful Tactician

The idea is to use Harma and the Raid Leader to keep a tight formation in front of (or near) Styr, as his cards work best in Short Range. Harma and Styr as commanders are wonderful for Giants, as their Commander Cards play well with them.

I would definitely recommend dropping the Followers of Bone. They're not going to last long against anything that hits even moderately hard, and are extremely expensive.

It could be worth cutting them and maybe some of the attachments for some Cave Dwellers to help the army deal some damage, as nothing you have right now is particularly scary to face.

Styr is about defense, and those Thenn Warriors will be really useful for him. Good morale (6+!) and decent defense (4+). With protection from charges/flank/rear modifiers, and able to taunt enemies onto them within short range...i think it's a given that Styr will want at least 1 if not 2.

Priced at 6pt iirc, they'll easily push the followers of bone out of the list for me. Followers need a list that can play on morale...horrific visage is really expensive.

horrific visage is really expensive.
    And not very good - Followers should already be getting pushed out of your lists due to how terrible they are haha