Baratheon Starter set? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baratheon Starter set?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    I can't wait for the baratheons to come out...but there's one itch: The Stag Knights

The stag knights look very odd...stag antlers on a full helm belongs to high fantasy more than anything. ASoIF usually doesn't go overboard with fantastic stuff, even though it does have magical creatures, but these guys seems like they are dressed for a joust, tournament or parade, not battle. Antlers, horns, spikes...whatever ornament you put on a helmet will make it less practical. One blow on the antlers and these guys are down with a serious neck injury. I know we're playing games of a fantasy world, but so far most units were remotely "practical" in their means and fashion. Antlers are really off.

Also, why all warhammers? I know it was Robert's weapon of choice but that's a ruler's prerogative, and likely an exception due to his particular strength . Are Stag Knights mentioned anywhere in the books? I could see Robert forming a group of them to "impersonate" his style, but Stannis? Renly? Mmm

That said, i'll still buy the set and all, but the knights might loose the antlers quickly.
    The screen capture of the back of the Stag Knight box seems to only have antlers on the commander miniature. The card art shown there also omits the antlers, so maybe only one guy needs to avoid the nets?

The unit that was shown are Baratheon Wardens, not Stag Knights.

The Stag Knight Noble was on same slide, but it's not part of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    The unit that was shown are Baratheon Wardens, not Stag Knights.

The Stag Knight Noble was on same slide, but it's not part of the unit.
    Oh, OK. My bad!

From what was mentioned in the livestream, I can't wait to see how the two different loyalties of Baratheons will play out in miniature form. Tyrells and knights for Renly and Fire Archers for Stannis?

I do hope most troops will be useable by both (would also make more sense financially...otherwise some unit sets might not be sold as much), i think it's mostly for characters that it'll be seen. Also, i'd like to be able to field Stannis's army against the wildlings...so hopefully he has access to cavalry as well.

The starter set is supposed to be usable by both, and then you'll have certain boxes that will be Stannis only or Renly's men.

I would wish that the most units coud be used for both or there are attachments that give the units the needed loyality. So it could be a question of the point cost/losing attachment options.

It appears that it will be mostly 'neutral' Baratheon troops, with Fire worshippers for Stannis and Reach troops for Renly, much like the Tully shields for the Starks.

This explains why Melisandre is not in the set. They wanted it to be almost fully useable by both kings.

As a side note, i expect the baratheons to be the next faction to get a 2+ defense cavalry.

Based on the other Heroes boxes, I would expect Melisandre, Davos, Loras and Margaery in the Baratheon Heroes 1 box. I'm highly intrigued in the new starter, especially as I'm really getting interested in collecting the game now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMeinecke55 View Post
    Based on the other Heroes boxes, I would expect Melisandre, Davos, Loras and Margaery in the Baratheon Heroes 1 box. I'm highly intrigued in the new starter, especially as I'm really getting interested in collecting the game now.
    I have the exact same list for the Heroes set 1. Since they need to add attachments useable by both, they likely will add Guyard Morrigen (who was part of Renly and then Stannis's army).

I wonder who will be the other commanders for the faction.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 06-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.

he said in the stream that we'll be getting rhllor followers and a azhor ahai stannis, wonder how that will play out in game? Stannis obviously isnt the prince that was promised so I wonder how the "magic" will work, either way sounds really cool, melisandre should have been in the starter box though the girl in the box is so forgettable the guy who made it couldnt even remember her name lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    he said in the stream that we'll be getting rhllor followers and a azhor ahai stannis, wonder how that will play out in game? Stannis obviously isnt the prince that was promised so I wonder how the "magic" will work, either way sounds really cool, melisandre should have been in the starter box though the girl in the box is so forgettable the guy who made it couldnt even remember her name lol
    I actually like the addition of Shyra Errol instead of Melisandre, because she is a Stormlands lady, which makes for use by both factions. The Red Witch is only usable for Team Stannis the Mannis, which kind of goes against the Starter Set's intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    I have the exact same list for the Heroes set 1. Since they need to add attachments useable by both, they likely will add Guyard Morrigen (who was part of Renly and then Stannis's army).

I wonder who will be the other commanders for the faction.
    I was kind of thinking that it might be a NPC of Edric Storm, since he starts the books living in Storm's End under Renly, and after Renly's death, he lives in Dragonstone with Shireen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMeinecke55 View Post
    I was kind of thinking that it might be a NPC of Edric Storm, since he starts the books living in Storm's End under Renly, and after Renly's death, he lives in Dragonstone with Shireen.
    Yeah, though i would wonder at what impact he actually would have in a battle...then again, we do get Arya.

The other idea would be to have him as a 'combat' unit attachment, but have the Hostage trait that Rickon has, but either way, I can't wait to see the entire starting range for the Stags.

The ASoIaF facebook group has a couple pictures of the 'August' releases (the odds of them coming out then...I think we all can make a good guess on that) that include the contents of the Baratheon starter set.

2x Wardens
    1x Stag Knights
    1x Sentinels.

Plus UAs and NCUs. Apparently they are all melee infantry.

Do we have a link to those photos?

Gotta join the facebook group. They don't want people sharing links from inside group.

If you don't want to join, then you will have to trust me! I have very little to gain from making this up haha.

Ok so we have

Wardens - plate, shield+warhammer (weak offense 3+ defense and 6+morale), kind of a more stalwart version of Lannister guardsmen.
    Stag Knights - plate, 2 handed hammer + crazy antlers. We don't know their stats, but i expect something like the Greataxes
    Sentinels - mail armor and 2 hammers.

It's a bit too many hammers and some hammers are slightly over the top for me. It'll be the first faction i must alter models to like. I am sure most people will find them "cool" but so far i had enjoyed a little bit of near-realism away from Warhammer fantasy battle styles. I really hope other units won't have Moar Big Hammers. Robert used a hammer, we get the point. The characters, however, look really fine and i'll still buy 2 sets because it's one of my favorite factions (Stannis).
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 07-04-2019 at 08:19 AM.