Make your own CITADEL GLAZES cheap

Thread: Make your own CITADEL GLAZES cheap

Default Make your own CITADEL GLAZES cheap

Citadel Glazes are sadly going away as you may know. So I decided to show you how you can make the exact same product VERY CHEAPLY. The video includes precise colour matching and dilution recipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRV1y_c6zE

Hope you find it useful!

Nice video, thank you for it.
    At the same time: no need for GW glazes at all. Their choice of colors was weird from the beginning.
    Also they are not going away totally, but are replaced with the contrast + contrast medium. At which point I rather have inks from Scale75 or WnN.

As a bonus you could do a video on "how to GW-contrast". I'll have a look at them next week at the local store, but from videos this "new innovation" looks like inks from old/other manufacturers, maybe mixed with a bit of glaze medium.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    Nice video, thank you for it.
    At the same time: no need for GW glazes at all. Their choice of colors was weird from the beginning.
    Also they are not going away totally, but are replaced with the contrast + contrast medium. At which point I rather have inks from Scale75 or WnN.

As a bonus you could do a video on "how to GW-contrast". I'll have a look at them next week at the local store, but from videos this "new innovation" looks like inks from old/other manufacturers, maybe mixed with a bit of glaze medium.
    Glad you liked it! I personally loved the Glaze colours they had that's why I made the video but yeah, if you use Liquitex, Daler Rowney or Scale75 inks the need for this paints is certainly reduced. I just like them because they are convenient and I'm lazy.

Regarding contrast they are a bit more than inks, as far as I understand they are pure liquid pigment (very hard to get) in a resin medium. Not really things you can get easily to make at home.

The closest you can get to that same effect is just using straight out of the pot Vallejo Inks with maybe a drop of Glaze Medium. If you could get your hands on liquid pigment then mixing them with glaze medium would essentially make the same kind of paint than contrast but the problem we have is that the closest we can get, inks, have the pigment already diluted in medium so you loose the intensity and concentration needed for the effect that contrast has.

So chemically, yes they are an innovation, in fact the medium is something unseen until now but effect wise you can surely get something similar using inks and glaze medium.