Charge, critical blow and weakened

Thread: Charge, critical blow and weakened

Default Charge, critical blow and weakened

Hi,

We had a situation yesterday with a charging unit with "critical blow" and a weakened token.

1. Charge : 8 attacks, 6 hits, with four "6" on my dices. With critical blow, I had 10 hits before rerolling from the charge. I then rerolled, and made a "4", for a total of 11 hits.

2. My opponent decided to use my weakened token. But how many dices should I reroll? 7 from my effective rolls? Or 11, included the 4 hits from critical blow, even if I didn't roll those dices?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ekko- View Post
    Hi,

We had a situation yesterday with a charging unit with "critical blow" and a weakened token.

1. Charge : 8 attacks, 6 hits, with four "6" on my dices. With critical blow, I had 10 hits before rerolling from the charge. I then rerolled, and made a "4", for a total of 11 hits.

2. My opponent decided to use my weakened token. But how many dices should I reroll? 7 from my effective rolls? Or 11, included the 4 hits from critical blow, even if I didn't roll those dices?
    I don't fully follow you comment but I will try.

You do not count hits until rerolls are completed. Rerolls are not additive, they replace the results.
    So e.g. if you had 4x sixes, and you reroll them without getting any sixes after reroll, you lost them all, zero critical blows. (Moral of the story: Do not reroll your sixes).

So, if you had 8 dice, you rolled 8 dice. Whatever the results, you reroll some of them (likely only misses, leaving the hits as they are). Then, if the Unit has "weakened" token, enemy can force you to reroll any of those 8 dice (likely all the hits, leaving misses as they are). Then you reroll the dice your opponent tells you to.

Then you tally up hits, according to those 8 dice that are now showing the result they are showing. What the dice were before any of the rerolls does not matter, as that is was reroll means: you reroll a result, voiding the previous result of that rerolled dice.

I do hope this answers your question, I could have misunderstood also.

I'm not an english native, so I think I did not explain my problem correctly, sorry ^^

Let's try again :

The special rule "critical blow" says : "Rolls of 6 cause 2 hits".

Let's say I charge with 6 attacks on 3+ to hit, with the special rule "critical blow", and a weakened token on me :

I roll 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6, so I have 4 hits, and as I rolled a 6, with "critical blow", I have another hit, so a total of 5. As I charged, I reroll the "1" and the "2", and let's say I get another hit. That's a total of 5 hits + 1 hit from "Critical blow".

Then if my opponent decides to spend my weakened token, do I have to reroll 5 hits or 6 hits? Does the bonus hit from critical blow needs to be rerolled too, even if I didn't throw a dice to get it?

The "critical blow" is not counted until the final results. You ignore the sixes from the dices that you reroll.

In above scenario, if your opponent asks you to reroll all hits, you reroll 5 dice, including your "critical blow" (roll of 6). This nullifies your result on these rerolled dies, and you no longer have a "critical blow" result. Unless you roll sixes in the reroll. The pre-reroll existed "critical blows" from the rerolled dice are gone, as if they never existed Only the end result after rerolls counts.

So as example, your above scenario would continue like this:
    Enemy forces you to reroll 5 of the dices that were hits, leaving the one miss as it is.

A) Your result could be: 2 of them miss, 1 of them hit, 2 of them are sixes: your end result is 3 misses with 3 hits + 2 extra hits from two critical blows.
    B) Your result could be: 2 of them miss, 3 of them hit, but none of them are sixes: your end result is 3 misses with 3 hits, no critical blows.

Numbers before reroll don't matter, only the final result matters.

Umber Greataxes have a special ability that makes this a bit more complex with that Unit involved, but I won't go there unless the question is exactly around that unit.

Nice, thanks for your answer !

The above explanations are correct.

The most important takeaway is that you do not calculate total Hits until the dice are "final". This means all re-rolls and Abilities/effects have been resolved.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

In the same order of question, a dice can be rerolled once by a player.

In the case of a succefull charge, When the charging player reroll his miss, wich die the defender can make reroll by the attacher when using weaken token?

All succes dices or only those wasn't rerolled?

Quote Originally Posted by Benito75 View Post
    In the same order of question, a dice can be rerolled once by a player.

In the case of a succefull charge, When the charging player reroll his miss, wich die the defender can make reroll by the attacher when using weaken token?

All succes dices or only those wasn't rerolled?
    Any dice that player wants to.
    So most common answer is, that the player requests to reroll all the success dice. If they were already rerolled by the other player does not make any difference to that.

Theoretically the player could ask to roll only some, or all (even the failures, but that makes rarely any sense).