storm of swords - does the attacker always go first?

Thread: storm of swords - does the attacker always go first?

Default storm of swords - does the attacker always go first?

As the title says...i wondered if the attacker was always the first player in a siege?

My interpretation, strictly looking at the rules. Main focus on below bolded text.

Rule book Deployment (related to the question):
    • Once the battlefield has been set up, each player should then roll a die (re-roll ties). The player who rolls highest may choose their Deployment Zone or pass this choice to their opponent. The player who does not choose their Deployment Zone will be the First Player when the game begins.
    • Beginning with the player who chose their Deployment Zone, each player alternates deploying 1 Combat Unit to the battlefield, continuing until all Combat Units have been deployed.

Game mode special rules (related to the question):
    • Each player rolls a die (re-roll ties). Whoever rolls highest chooses whether they will be the Attacker or the Defender.

Note how in Game mode image, the Deployment zones are named, separate deployment zone for "Attacker" (bigger zone), separate deployment zone for "Defender" (With the walls). Choosing to be "Attacker" or "Defender" thus can be seen as equivalent to choosing deployment zone: isn't that what in fact is happening and what you are choosing?

Thus the above Storm of Swords special game mode rule should by RAW count as a "choosing their deployment zone": Whoever rolled highest, is the player who chose their deployment zone (by choosing a side), and for that reason is the second player when the game begins (as "the player who does not choose their Deployment Zone will be the First Player when the game begins").

Secondly, to make rule "the attacker was always the first player" is assumption, and thus cannot be right from RAW point of view. The game mode does not say whom goes first, so rule book reader must assume you go by the normal rule book rules.

This is only my RAW interpretation, I do not have any hidden knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronx View Post
    My interpretation, strictly looking at the rules. Main focus on below bolded text.

Rule book Deployment (related to the question):
    • Once the battlefield has been set up, each player should then roll a die (re-roll ties). The player who rolls highest may choose their Deployment Zone or pass this choice to their opponent. The player who does not choose their Deployment Zone will be the First Player when the game begins.
    • Beginning with the player who chose their Deployment Zone, each player alternates deploying 1 Combat Unit to the battlefield, continuing until all Combat Units have been deployed.

Game mode special rules (related to the question):
    • Each player rolls a die (re-roll ties). Whoever rolls highest chooses whether they will be the Attacker or the Defender.

Note how in Game mode image, the Deployment zones are named, separate deployment zone for "Attacker" (bigger zone), separate deployment zone for "Defender" (With the walls). Choosing to be "Attacker" or "Defender" thus can be seen as equivalent to choosing deployment zone: isn't that what in fact is happening and what you are choosing?

Thus the above Storm of Swords special game mode rule should by RAW count as a "choosing their deployment zone": Whoever rolled highest, is the player who chose their deployment zone (by choosing a side), and for that reason is the second player when the game begins (as "the player who does not choose their Deployment Zone will be the First Player when the game begins").

Secondly, to make rule "the attacker was always the first player" is assumption, and thus cannot be right from RAW point of view. The game mode does not say whom goes first, so rule book reader must assume you go by the normal rule book rules.

This is only my RAW interpretation, I do not have any hidden knowledge on the subject.
    The one who rolled the highest can also give the choice of deployment zone to the other player.

It's just that, thematically, it's a rare thing to see the besieged take the initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    The one who rolled the highest can also give the choice of deployment zone to the other player.

It's just that, thematically, it's a rare thing to see the besieged take the initiative.

In Storm of Swords game mode the one who rolled the highest by RAW cannot give the choise of deployment zone to the other player, the rule text is quite definite that the high roller chooses either Attacker or Defender: Whoever rolls highest chooses whether they will be the Attacker or the Defender.

I agree, that there might be some thematical things here that could make one doubt, if there is something missing from the rules.

(And not entirely alone on this topic. E.g. when an Unit destroys walls with melee, they cannot easily pivot away from it as per regular rules the Castle walls are impassable, and they are not removed from the play area when destroyed. The rule book v1.4 helped this a bit with their impassable pivoting changes, but I feel it is still a bit wonky to get disconnected with legal movement from a Castle Wall after it gets destroyed in this game mode. But destroying the Castle Walls is not the main method to win this mode as attacker, so the issue isn't that big. Sorry off-topic.).

In many cases for us, the attacker must destroy at least 1 wall to achieve victory.

One of my primary reasons why i thought the attacker had to get the first turn is the defender's reinforcement rule starting on the 3rd round. If the defender is the first player on 3rd round, they can get a flank charge rather easily. Combine this with siege cards and the wrecking ball can be a little crazy. With the attacker going first on the 3rd round, he can at least prepare for it, or attempt to reach a wall before the path is cut off.

Via the Game Mode rules whomever wins the die roll chooses Attacker or Defender, which will also in turn decide their Deployment Zone. By the rules, whomever chooses their Deployment Zone passes First Player to their opponent.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Thanks for official answer!

This does bring on many tactical thoughts to mind...if i get the higher roll, and want to avoid facing a defender with 3rd round "first player" flank charge, i ought to pick the defender myself. I wonder how many will choose to be the attacker?