Can't buy Krylon. Can anyone suggest a good rattle can primer.

Thread: Can't buy Krylon. Can anyone suggest a good rattle can primer.

Default Can't buy Krylon. Can anyone suggest a good rattle can primer.

All,

I used Krylon ultra flat white primer for ages and I was very happy with it. It's not longer for sale in Ottawa, Canada as far as I can see.

Can some one suggest a good quality white rattle can primer that's easy to buy?

Tony

PS I am guessing I will need a new brand of matte varnish soon, too.

Sorry not from Canada so can't really help you with the Krylon issue. What happened they stop selling it up there for some reason? Maybe see if they have the Walmart brand (at least here in the US it is a blue can) but not sure if it is sold in Canada or how about Rustol-eum?

Not knowing which matte varnish you currently use, you should be able to get Testors Dullecote (comes in spray can) or AK Interactive's Ultra Matte (it isn't a spray can, but you could run it through an airbrush if you have one) and the Ultra Matte is really good. I saw the Testor's on the CA Walmart website, you might have to look at online hobby stores or local stores for the AK Ultra Matte.

Thanks.

Have you used Rust-oleum on minis? It sold for exterior use, painting straight over rust. I expected it to be thick and goopy.

they also make the indoor/outdoor versions too. I have used it in the past but it has been quite a while. If I remember correctly I didn't have any issues with it but I did use just the primer one not the paint+primer version. I have since gone to mostly brushing my primer on and use badger Stynylrez.

This is the one I am talking about: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleu...12-oz/37326865 But this is on the US site and can't seem to find it on the CA one

But looking at the CA Walmart site this might work (but have never tried this one and I only see it in this light grey): https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/RUST-OL...RD4UJZLPU3QC07 (but no way this can of paint should be $30 dollars CAN so I wouldn't buy it as you should be able to get GW or Army Painter spray for cheaper than that up there)

One other that I know of is Tamiya primer haven't used it but heard it is alright

Otherwise you could probably pick up some Army Painter spray online up there but that can be hit or miss sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    One other that I know of is Tamiya primer haven't used it but heard it is alright
    No it’s not!. Tried grey and white (fine) totally awful. Granular as hell, like painting over minuscule particles of sand.

Otherwise you could probably pick up some Army Painter spray online up there but that can be hit or miss sometimes
    Army Painter Primer that I’ve tried was a rough as a badgers bum.

General Rattle can primer I used to use was an Automotive grey primer, pretty good but I've switched to priming via Airbrush using Vallejo Airbrush primer, far better results, much smoother results.
    I’ve had Mr Hobby Surfacer 1500 rattle can recommended to me, but not tried it myself.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    No it’s not!. Tried grey and white (fine) totally awful. Granular as hell, like painting over minuscule particles of sand.
    Hmm. Are you talking about Tamiya Fine Surface Primer? I have been using that for years and I love it. It goes on completely smooth, in my experience!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Thanks guys.

I have tried Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (white) and I really did not like it. I found the coverage poor and it was rough and spotty.

But automotive primer is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    Hmm. Are you talking about Tamiya Fine Surface Primer? I have been using that for years and I love it. It goes on completely smooth, in my experience!
    Yes.
    The experience I have with it has put me off it completely.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Strange, never had any issues.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

okay, so maybe don't use the Tamiya

I don't know what the deal is with the Tamiya Primer. I like their dullcote.

I have to agree with ekipage on the Badger Stynylrez. It has never let me down shot through the airbrush but I’ve applied it numerous time with a brush and shows no brush strokes at all. Easily as good as Vallejo in this regard. Can get the standard black, grey and white as well as an increasing number of other colours. Have used Mr. Surfacer with zero problems myself. Vallejo primer in both bottle and rattle can have given decent results too.
    Not sure if I keep getting dodgy batches of Army Painter spray but have grown tired of having issues of paint adhering to it so I avoid it now. Has been applied properly and not too thickly but paint often beads up on it as if I was applying paint to resin that hasn’t had the mould release agent washed off.