Knights of Casterly Rock & Charging

Thread: Knights of Casterly Rock & Charging

Default Knights of Casterly Rock & Charging

Hello, I have a quick rules disagreement I was hoping to have clarified here. According to the Knights of Casterly Rock unit card, the Knights' Lance entry states: "When Charging, this attack rolls +3 dice, and gains Critical Blow (Rolls of 6 deal 2 Hits) and Sundering (Defenders suffer -1 to their Defense Save rolls.)"

One player interprets this rule as "all of these bonuses apply only when Charging" - if already Engaged, the Knights will only make regular attacks with no special abilities.

Another player interprets this description as "The Knights receive +3 dice when Charging. In addition, the Lance attack always has both Critical Blow and Sundering."

Which interpretation of the entry is the official ruling? I have been unable to find a ruling in the FAQ pdf or the forums.

Thank you for your help!

All listed abilities under Lance are gained only on the charge.

Compare it to other units whose attack have Critical Blow and Sundering; such as Umber Berserkers and NW Sworn Brothers. Those units' attack simply lists the abilities. The Knight's Lances specify "gains"... which implies it did something to gain that... which is a continuation of effects gained in addition to the +3 dice from charging.

Yelraek is correct in the above. Critical Blow, Sundering, and the +3 dice are ONLY when the Knights are charging, otherwise said effects would be simply listed under the Ability. As written, they are expressly tied to the Charge.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Hi,

Relative to this question : if player rolls "1" when the Knights are charging, does the "lance" bonus is still valid ? I think so but we had a doubt about this yesterday...

Thanks for any clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommmovore View Post
    Hi,

Relative to this question : if player rolls "1" when the Knights are charging, does the "lance" bonus is still valid ? I think so but we had a doubt about this yesterday...

Thanks for any clarification.
    Lance Ability is not the Charge Bonus. The Charge Bonus, aka rerolls, is a very specific thing defined in the rulebook, nothing else.

Thanks. The doubt did outcome from printed version of rule book that mentions "Charge Bonuses" and not "Charge Bonus". The current version (1.4) corrected that, as I saw a couple seconds ago.

think of it this way, a lance in combat is not good at all! but on the charge it is