Paint Color Question

Thread: Paint Color Question

Default Paint Color Question

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forums so I apologize in advance if this may be the wrong place for the post. I would also like to preface this post with the disclaimer that I a relatively new serious painter. I have played WHFB for a long time before the end and was painting prior only really when forced into it.

Anyway I am currently working on a Gold Dragon for a D&D Campaign and was hoping I might be able to glean some wisdom from all of you. I have attached a reference image I am using for a general look I am going for. Unfortunately I am really having a hard time finding or creating a color that is close to the red, rusty/copper look in the image. Any Ideas on how I might achieve something close to this?

Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To be able to help you more are you wanting to use metalic colors or use non metalic colors to get similar colors?

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Hey K, I am leaning in the direction of metalic. I was thinking of attempting to mix a gold metalic with a red/orange to try to produce this. I was attempting to make a glaze/wash with combination Citadel flesh shade,/feugen orange combo over a base coat but was having no luck. I have not had a chance to mess with my idea of vellejo gold with some orange/brown or red added to attempt to tint it.
    Hopefully this helps, my color theory needs a good bit of work but I am attempting to get better.

If metallic, then you could try the vallejo - liquid metal - old gold. It's a really rich orangey gold. But be aware that it's not really water based, but alcohol based, so no mixing it with other acrylics.

Also a possibility is the Retributor Armor from GW. I find the shade to be a very nice orange-gold.

For the darkest parts... I'd use multiple glazes of the citadel flesh shade (the glossy version so it kills the metallic effect less) or VGC-Dark Flesh + VGC Purple Ink (both as very thinned glazes) + gloss/satin varnish to bring back some shine.
    Forgot, that it works again.

To tint the metalics and still keep the shine of the metalics I would perhaps try to use inks, you can look for companies such as liquitex, dawley and rowney or schminke for good inks, needs to be their artist lines I believe. I do believe most of them are more transparent then normal colors and therfore lets the metalics shine through at the same time that you tint the color. If you do want too play with areas with more or less shine then you can add different colors that are more matt in there structure.

In choice of colors I would say to use a cold golden color as base. If you look at the brightes part it is a colder golden color, then tint some areas with a mix of red and yellow ink to get a good orange (remember that inks have a very high pigment grade and therfore be carful in how strong the color will be, test on a seperate figure to understand what it will do to the golden areas), perhaps a bit of brown in there also. Then there are more colder areas with some cold bluish green color. The darker areas goes more towards burnt sienna in color or even a more darker bornwn perhaps add some raw umber in there.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

scale 75 metal sets are great for getting results with tmm without having to mix or filter with inks. just being lazy though :P
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I am pretty sure Warcolours makes a red metallic paint you could probably mix in with some copper and/or gold to get that color you are looking for

also a nice lazy option
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    also a nice lazy option
    Thank you for adding that as I had forgotten to