Speculation: Greyjoy, Martell, Arryn and Tully factions

Thread: Speculation: Greyjoy, Martell, Arryn and Tully factions

Default Speculation: Greyjoy, Martell, Arryn and Tully factions

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I’m new to the game. Since I can’t wait for the Baratheons and the Targaryens I spend my time thinking about the upcomming factions we don't know yet. Today I listened to episode 37- Rampant speculation of “On the table gaming” podcast. They said that maybe there will be 9 factions in total. We know of 7 factions already: Stark, Lannister, Neutral Faction, NW, FF, Baratheon and Targaryen. If the rumors are true, there are only two factions left. My bet is on Greyjoys and Martells. Why them? Gameplay wise, they could bring new elements to the game. For example:

Greyjoy:
    the Greyjoys are known for their strong naval army and for their raiding and pillaging. We could have a new kind of game based on sea warfare. Think about different ways of deploying your units (On the table podcast talk about it, you shoukd check it!). Furthermore, there could be new bases to represent the ships during sea battles. You can have another plastic base, which will be sold separately, it could regroup up to 3 to 5 units. It’s just an idea but you get my point, adding the Greyjoys is the bext big step.

Martell:
    Then there are the Martells. During the history of Westeros, Dornish warriors have mastered guerrilla warfare. These guys killed Rhaenys and Meraxes during the ambush of Hellholt! They are Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. There are tons of possibilities for guerilla warfare in this game. This factions could introduce different terrains types, such as Elevation and dense forest handicaps. Also, Cmon could make at least two hero boxes of the Martell factions.

With both of them, there will be 9 factions. However, Michael Shinall said at Cmon expo, that they don’t have a limited amount of factions. The Tullys have units with the Starks at the moment (same thing for the Tyrells in the Baratheon faction). That means we could see more than 9 factions, or maybe not. I would love to see an entire faction for the remaining houses.
    The Tyrells could be a political faction with a lot of main power, The Tullys could introduce the concept of alliance and the Arryns could improve the storm of swords game mode.

I know that the Neutral faction will be expanded further with Vargo Hoat and his Brave Companions, Walder Frey and the Freys, Daario Naharis and his Stormcrows and maybe we will see later the golden company and the second sons.
    These will surely reinforce the neutral faction and I can't wait. Also, As a big fan of the Boltons, I will love to have more units for them, like Bolton Archers (Bolton Flayed men are gorgeous!). I’m maybe asking too much.

What do you think about the new possible factions and what kind of units/gameplay for these factions would you like to see in the future? Which ones won't be possible?

I agree that Greyjoy and Martell will be factions of their own, but I believe that Tully will remain with Stark, Tyrell and Arryn will be Neutral forces eventually. Tyrell is tied to Baratheon, Lannister and themselves, so I don't see an actual Tyrell faction, and the Arryns are neutral throughout the novels, which the game will likely not change. I don't see Tully leaving the Stark faction, especially since House Frey is already announced for Neutrals.

As to playstyle, I can see the Martells as a mix of Targaryen and Stark, with a quick skirmisher style, with Poison being a specialty as well. For the Greyjoys.... I can almost see a Naval keyword, that lets you set up a unit either after the battle begins or behind enemy lines? I don't see an actual Naval Warfare concept, but maybe using the theme to give movement tricks.

I see it about the same:

Tully = stay within Starks

Arryn = Neutrals

Tyrell = This is the most complicated to speculate on right now for me. They side with Renly, but the timeline will bring them with lannisters. While they behave a bit like neutrals, imho there is enough material for a faction.

Greyjoy...curious to find out how they'll balance it out. The fleet could be represented by some NCU effects and surprise deployment rules. The fleet itself could be a free NCU for the faction, represented by a ship mini :P

Martel = I hope the game is successful enough to get there, they do have some cool characters but the faction as a whole isn't that active...certainly not at the time the game is currently at.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 07-02-2019 at 09:47 AM.

If Tully remain with the Starks, I'm afraid they won't have enough space to shine since, during CMON expo Michael Shinall said they have a limited number of units for each faction. There won't be Brackens and Blackwoods. I guess you are right, We'll get Tully cavaliers and that will be all.

It's possible that Arryn will be neutral. Maybe in the Winds of Winter books they will play a bigger role, and George will give enough material to make a whole faction. But for the moment we are not there yet. We will have some knights of the vale, (mounted and foot if we are lucky) and maybe some archers.

For the Tyrells, they could mkae a whole faction. They have tons of characters: Margeary, Olenna, Mace, Garlan, Willas, Loras, Randyl and Dickon Tarly, Paxter Redwyne and his twins, mayeb itnroduce some Hightowers. gameplay wise I don't know. In any case the Tyrells are way more important than other houses.

You have interesting ideas for the Greyjoys and the Martells gameplay.

Oakwolf, do you think the game won't be successful enough to introduce the Martells? I live in France and we are out of stock for most of the boxes. Maybe when Winds of Winter will release it could give a little push to the game.

In my very humble opinion here, i can't say how successful it currently is or how long that success is going to maintain itself. The difficulty to purchase a box is either of 2 things: production/distribution issue or the demand is greater than expected. Hopefully it's the 2nd of the two.

The reason i am not certain we'll get there is that they have so much stuff coming for the existing/announced factions. Starks and Lannisters are probably starting to be complete, but Neutrals, Night's watch, Free Folks, Baratheons, Targaryens...these are still recent. Lastly, given that Martels are the least active faction in the book, i can't see them come until very late.

I hope it's distribution too. I am new to the game and I will follow it until the end! I'm sure a lot of people feel the same.

You are right about the Martells. They are trying to expand the current factions and they have a lot of content to cover yet.

I think each time they add a faction they bring more people in and these newcomers will talk about the game. I forgot to mention the White Walkers. They could be another faction, even if I don't think they will. However if they do a White walker Faction, the game could bloom once more.

Let's hope everything goes for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Byleth View Post
    I hope it's distribution too. I am new to the game and I will follow it until the end! I'm sure a lot of people feel the same.

You are right about the Martells. They are trying to expand the current factions and they have a lot of content to cover yet.

I think each time they add a faction they bring more people in and these newcomers will talk about the game. I forgot to mention the White Walkers. They could be another faction, even if I don't think they will. However if they do a White walker Faction, the game could bloom once more.

Let's hope everything goes for the better.
    The last season of the show was a push, but the biggest one will come when the last book is published. Sadly, it'll also be the last until a spin off show gets done. Then, it's up to the community to keep it in high visibility.

There's absolutely something to be done with the Others and white walkers, but perhaps at the very end. That faction would work completely differently than anything we'll have seen (certainly no NCUs but they could block/corrupt zones).

I agree with you. The last season let many people starving for more content. Many of them read the books. I wish the distribution of this game will imrpove, and that we will have the releases due in time. Like having the Baratheons next month, it will be great even if I don’t believe it anymore.

Your idea about no ncus for the others is a great idea! They should have an even bigger swarm mechanic than the FF faction. They could do a three player match. One of the players controls the white walkers while the other two defending an objectif or trying to kill the commander.

I just realise that in the starterboxes and the many expansions there are the logos of house Stark, Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Greyjoy and Martell. Maybe it means something. There is also another box with the tully fish, the tyrell flower and I think is the Arryn bird and not the crow of the night’s watch. Nw crow has his beck seperate from his body.