Conscripts - when and how to use them?

Thread: Conscripts - when and how to use them?

Default Conscripts - when and how to use them?

I'm certainly not the most experienced Night's Watch player, and i'd like to know how the dedicated ones have used this unit? I've found that the 8+ morale make it less of a tarpit than i expected it to be. At 4pts each, i don't expect that much either, but any tips on how to get the most of them?

I like them.

I tend to use them in 2 ways: either to take and hold objectives which are close to my zone, to allow more powerful units to go forward and fight, or as charge blockers/tarpit for the powerful units of my opponent.
    Having a regenerating, 4-points unit to sacrifice or to hold objectives is very good in the army where most units are expensive and powerful is very good IMO. When we will have crcossbowmen who can shoot even when they hold an objective may make them less appealing to me but for the moment I really enjoy playing them.
    I Always use them without any attachment, preferring to keep them as cheap as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Valorel View Post
    I like them.

I tend to use them in 2 ways: either to take and hold objectives which are close to my zone, to allow more powerful units to go forward and fight, or as charge blockers/tarpit for the powerful units of my opponent.
    Having a regenerating, 4-points unit to sacrifice or to hold objectives is very good in the army where most units are expensive and powerful is very good IMO. When we will have crcossbowmen who can shoot even when they hold an objective may make them less appealing to me but for the moment I really enjoy playing them.
    I Always use them without any attachment, preferring to keep them as cheap as possible.
    Thanks that's quite interesting. Would you place them on the flanks?

I was thinking of using one of these to protect Scorpions flanks. Basically i was thinking of them as the "rank and file" in a builders army due to the cost of the siege engines.

I think they are very versatile in how they can be used, fitting with the theme of the faction. So it’s going to depend on the scenario, and the builds of both armies.

They obviously make great filler units.

In objective based scenarios, I like Valorel’s thoughts on how to use them.

In more combat based scenarios, I’m torn a bit between putting them on a flank, or more towards the center. Flanking would help give their stats a boost, while the center gives them some protection and options on movement.

I think opponents are going to put them into one of two categories. A weak unit that can be ignored, or an easy target to take out quickly. Knowing your opponent, you build, and the scenario will help guide you on how best to either exploit or mitigate those viewpoints.

Pairing them with siege weaponry, as you mentioned, does make a good combo to offset each other’s weaknesses. I think having Aemon as an NCU would be a good pair as well, to make them even harder to finish off.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Thanks that's quite interesting. Would you place them on the flanks?

I was thinking of using one of these to protect Scorpions flanks. Basically i was thinking of them as the "rank and file" in a builders army due to the cost of the siege engines.
    Yes, they are very good to protect the flank of more valuable units too!
    I'm not a huge fan of the scorpion ATM, so using them to protect it will make me feel like the scorpion costs 11 points (or more if you take the upgrade or Yothel…) but that's what I was meaning when I said charge blocker/tarpit. I prefer to potect my sworn Brothers with them though.