And Now His Watch is Ended

Thread: And Now His Watch is Ended

Default And Now His Watch is Ended

"When a friendly Combat Unit is destroyed:
    You may return 1 attached Vow card from that unit to your hand, and then remove 1 Activation Token from a friendly unit or remove friendly 1 NCU from the tactics board (they may be activated again this round)."

Does the phrase "and then" mean that the second part of the card is conditional upon the first part? In other words, do you have to return a vow to your hand in order to be able to remove an activation token? Or can you use the second part of the card even if there was no vow attached to the destroyed unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad3theimpaler View Post

Does the phrase "and then" mean that the second part of the card is conditional upon the first part? In other words, do you have to return a vow to your hand in order to be able to remove an activation token? Or can you use the second part of the card even if there was no vow attached to the destroyed unit?
    I think its the latter

The card clearly states that "You MAY return 1 attached Vow to your hand" and there is nothing in the second part of the text that implies that the effect takes place only if you did return a card.

My 2 cents
    What is dead may never die, but rises again Harder and Stronger

Quote Originally Posted by TrePalle View Post
    I think its the latter

The card clearly states that "You MAY return 1 attached Vow to your hand" and there is nothing in the second part of the text that implies that the effect takes place only if you did return a card.

My 2 cents
    The "and then" is what implies it. Some games I've played specifically call out in the rules that if something says "then," you must do the part before that to do the part that comes after that. The question is whether that is how it is being used in this case.

I can't find anything else with exactly the same wording at a quick glance, but something similar would be the Lannister card Paid Mutiny. "That unit must pass a Morale Test or its Attachments loses all Abilities until the end of the round, and that unit suffers D3 Wounds."

The rest of the sentence after "and" is dependent upon the first part of the sentence--the wounds only occur if the unit failed the morale test.
    Given the similar, although not identical, sentence structure of "And Now His Watch is Ended," is seems possible that it is meant to be read the same way, with the second portion of the sentence being dependent on the first.

Aha, I found a better example of a card with similar wording. Eddard Stark's card Fury for the Fallen says, "Eddard Stark's unit may picot and then perform 1 free Attack or Charge action."

Given that having to pivot in order to make an attack action wouldn't make sense (particularly for melee attacks), it appears that "and then" does NOT make the clause after it dependent on the previous part of the sentence.

Roose Bolton's commander cards are clear examples of a requirement being stated before the desired effects. For reference.

i'm guessing you are a programmer? in this case and then is the same as afterwards.