Synthetic Brushes

Thread: Synthetic Brushes

Default Synthetic Brushes

I don't want to buy sable brushes and am looking to purchase good quality synthetic brushes though I understand they may never be quite as good as sable.
    One option I am considering is Winsor and Newton Galeria brushes. Thoughts or suggestions?

Synthetic brushes are fine to use. They may not hold up as long or come to as fine of a point sometimes but there is nothing wrong with using them. I use the W&N galeria synth brushes and some others as well and they are alright. I mainly use them to get the primer, base coat and then primary colors on and then will switch to a Sable brush to finish it off. Also if you are in the US, look in Hobby Lobby (or on their website) as they have some multi-packs that are around $7 for a pack of 6-10 brushes and they are decent enough to at least prime and base coat with. You can always cut the tips down when they start to wear out and use them for stippling or dry brushing as well. If overseas, they should have something similar in craft stores there or on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by ekipage View Post
    Synthetic brushes are fine to use. They may not hold up as long or come to as fine of a point sometimes but there is nothing wrong with using them. I use the W&N galeria synth brushes and some others as well and they are alright. I mainly use them to get the primer, base coat and then primary colors on and then will switch to a Sable brush to finish it off. Also if you are in the US, look in Hobby Lobby (or on their website) as they have some multi-packs that are around $7 for a pack of 6-10 brushes and they are decent enough to at least prime and base coat with. You can always cut the tips down when they start to wear out and use them for stippling or dry brushing as well. If overseas, they should have something similar in craft stores there or on Amazon.
    Thank you for the advice. I am in Australia and have already purchased some cheapie brushes which have been okay but don't allow too much precision (though that could be my lack of skill)!!! I will try the Winsor Newton Galeria brushes.

I would still recommend at least one Sable brush for fine detail work though

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckman65 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I am in Australia and have already purchased some cheapie brushes which have been okay but don't allow too much precision (though that could be my lack of skill)!!! I will try the Winsor Newton Galeria brushes.
    For what ever reason you don’t want to use sable, please consider this, brushes are our primary tools and like any good craftsman will tell you, buy the best tools you can afford.
    Buying cheap doesn’t equate to ‘good’, sadly neither does expensive, but be selective and be prepared to pay good money for good equipment.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Also,you can get some Kolinsky Sable brushes a bit cheaper if you buy some from Rosemary and Company site. They are a bit cheaper than Winsor & Newton or Raphael's. I would recommend the Series 33's and here is the link to the page: https://www.rosemaryandco.com/waterc...linsky-pointed

The blue W&N Cottman synthetic watercolour brushes are a great buy. Most of the ones I had held up as good as the Kolinsky sable brushes...if not longer. On average they last me a few years and are great for those times you don’t want to damage an expensive brush. If you save the expensive ones for finer work it helps your wallet.
    You can pick them up online for a few dollars. I find that even with postage they work out so much cheaper than buying from an art store in Australia.
    As with everything, look around online to make sure you aren’t paying more than you should. I’ve picked up Raphael 8404s for less than half the price of W&N series 7s.
    Also be wary of most top 10 recommended brushes articles etc. Many brushes are recommended for reasons other than actually being good. It always helps to try several before settling on a few.