Cave dweller heavy armies?

Thread: Cave dweller heavy armies?

Default Cave dweller heavy armies?

Hi everyone,

Recently I bought 2nd hand a whole lot of FF. (2x starter, spearwives and 2x cave dwellers)
    I already had a starterset, 2 extra boxes raiders and a single unit of cave dwellers.

So now I am considering trying 3 units of Cave dwellers if only because I can.
    Now all I have to do is fill out the remaining points to 40 and make the list 'work'.

Has anyone ever tried this or similar?

Currently looking at this: (spending 3 pts for raid leaders sprinkled throughout the army)

Faction: Free Folk
    Commander: Tormund Giantsbane - Thunderfist (Points: 37 )

Combat Units:
    • Cave Dweller Savages (5) with Tormund Giantsbane - Thunderfist (0)
    • Cave Dweller Savages (5)

• Free Folk Trapper (4)

• Free Folk Raiders (3)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)

Non-Combat Units:
    • Lady Val - The Wildling Princess (3)
    • Craster - Ally of Convenience (3)

Thoughts?

I like it. I tried a variant of:

Faction: Free Folk
    Commander: Mance Rayder - King Beyond The Wall

Combat Units:
    • Free Folk Trapper (4)
    with Mance Rayder - King Beyond The Wall (0)
    • Free Folk Trapper (4)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    with Raid Leader (1)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    with Raid Leader (1)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    • Free Folk Raiders (3)
    with Tormund Giantsbane - Tall-Talker, Horn-Blower, Breaker Of Ice (2)

Non-Combat Units:
    • Craster - Ally of Convenience (3)
    • Lady Val - The Wildling Princess (3)

I'm curious how you did with your list on the table? I have 2 units of Cave Dwellers and am almost convinced to get a 3rd after reading the Savage Rattler List on asoiafcc featuring Rattleshirt commanding 2 Giants, 1 Bonelords Chosen, and 3 Cave Dwellers w single NCU Styr. If I do a Cave Dweller heavy list, I'll be trying out Styr (and Craster, if pts permit) first as I think Styr is too good to exclude, even as great as Val is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony4095 View Post
    I'm curious how you did with your list on the table? I have 2 units of Cave Dwellers and am almost convinced to get a 3rd after reading the Savage Rattler List on asoiafcc featuring Rattleshirt commanding 2 Giants, 1 Bonelords Chosen, and 3 Cave Dwellers w single NCU Styr. If I do a Cave Dweller heavy list, I'll be trying out Styr (and Craster, if pts permit) first as I think Styr is too good to exclude, even as great as Val is.
    Still painting like a madman. Not played it yet...
    But sure will post whatever experience(s) I have with 2 or 3 units of cave dwellers.

I cant wait to hear. I may be trying out 1 unit of Cave Dwellers for the first time this week. Worried that their 6+ defense might melt them too quickly.
    I'm painting this unit w regular acrylics following Mike Meeples Painting Poorly directions with a few minor changes. I had so much success and saved so much time painting up my 2 units of Raiders and 1 unit Trappers in 1 week with white primed undercoat then inks only (mostly), that I think I'll try that technique on the 2nd unit of Cave Savages to compare time saved vs results. I used Mini Junkie's youtube tutorial Speed Painting Free Folk Raiders as a guide and highly recommend it for FF with all the furs and dirty earth tones. Good luck.

Here is my progress.

Done; 6x Raiders, 2x Trappers, 1x Cave Dwellers & some giants plus commanders/NCU's.
    All done with contrast paints except the commanders/NCU's.

Still quite a bit to (speed)paint though.

[edit] Needs basing but intend to do this once I get the lot painted and do that all in 1 go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Holy moly thats enough FF to make Mance Rayder proud. I'm glad contrast paints have helped many get painted armies on the table. I have a buddy who has been doing his Lannisters that way.
    Back to tactics, I plan to keep my Savages in support of either a giant or Raider unit so as to pile in once the enemy is bloodied and hopefully down a rank. Gonna be quite a change in style from my NW & Stark/Tully elite lists.
    Last edited by Tony4095; 07-23-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Well; still only primed in white; 2x raiders, 1x trappers, 1x spearwives and a cave dweller unit.
    With my 3rd Cave dweller unit on the painting station.
    So still quite literally an army to paint.
    All my other ASOIAF armies were initially 5 units plus 2 or 3 NCU's. so...
    (Most armies I added more units later but still FF is by far my most horde army. Oddly enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony4095 View Post
    <snip>
    Back to tactics, I plan to keep my Savages in support of either a giant or Raider unit so as to pie in once the enemy is bloodied and hopefully down a rank. Gonna be quite a change in style from my NW & Stark/Tully elite lists.
    Yeah. In my theorycrafting this seems the most logical way to approach things.
    We'll see. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

update; painted.
    Now base and magnetise the lot. Name:  FF painted.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  390.3 KB

left to right:
    8x raiders, 1x spearwives, 3x Cave dwellers & 3x trappers.
    Plus some commanders/NCU's, unit champions and some giants. Of course
    Last edited by Elkerlyc; 08-04-2019 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo

Impressive seeing so many freefolk refusing to bend the knee. Let us all know how their first battle goes. Armies always fight better when painted. Unless u paint just a single favorite unit, which normally results in an early & embarrassing death.

(update; everything magnetised. Halfway done basing)

Still in dire need of grass, flock & snow; 4 x raiders, 2x trappers & 2x Cave dwellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images