I am the King Tactic card vs Attacks that allow no defense saves

Thread: I am the King Tactic card vs Attacks that allow no defense saves

Default I am the King Tactic card vs Attacks that allow no defense saves

The trigger for I am the King (and maybe others) is after defense dice are rolled.

If an attack, like stark great axes, says that no saves are allowed, can this be triggered?

Also the giant mighty swing says that INSTEAD of rolling defense dice etcetc, do you get the trigger here?

My understanding says no in both cases but would like feedback

“edit” listened to podcast about using this card if defense saves are not allowed, so that sorted for the great axes.

giant still not sure, as the giant literally skips the defense roll stage

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Bazzu; 07-24-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Triple F.

Fight F@k Fight

I am the king prevents Wounds. It has no interaction with anything that doesn't allow Defense Saves.

The timing for the card is "after defense dice are rolled", that is a specific step in Resolving Combat. Even if you don't roll any defense dice, for whatever reason, that step still happens (e.g., if there were no Successful attack rolls, that step still happens).

So, short answer, yes, this card works in both the instances you cited above.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    I am the king prevents Wounds. It has no interaction with anything that doesn't allow Defense Saves.

The timing for the card is "after defense dice are rolled", that is a specific step in Resolving Combat. Even if you don't roll any defense dice, for whatever reason, that step still happens (e.g., if there were no Successful attack rolls, that step still happens).

So, short answer, yes, this card works in both the instances you cited above.
    I understand this reasoning for the greataxes as they allow the dice rolling negating the result but not the giant that literally specifies instead of rolling defense dice.

Cards are triggered not by steps but by conditions met.

are you being attacked - yes
    did you roll defense dice - no INSTEAD i got wounds

if the trigger was after suffering wounds from an attack you can block d3 then i would perfectly agree but to me seems like you are changing the trigger part into a step part
    Triple F.

Fight F@k Fight

Agree with Alliser.

That's what "instead" means. The step isn't skipped or missed. It still happens, just with something else representing it. Example: "The inspector won't be coming today, I'll be there in his stead."

Quote Originally Posted by Yelraek View Post
    Agree with Alliser.

That's what "instead" means. The step isn't skipped or missed. It still happens, just with something else representing it. Example: "The inspector won't be coming today, I'll be there in his stead."
    The card trigger does not state “after the defense dice rolling step” but rather “after rolling defense dice”

as far as i know triggers are triggered by actions not by combat steps

rules for triggers are “Each Tactics card lists a specific trigger at the top of the card which denotes when it can be played”

the step you are pointing at being skipped or not, in my opinion, is irrelevant, the fact that you do not get the opportunity to roll dice, and not just negating saves, means that the trigger is never met.

if you are coming instead of the inspector it is not the same thing as if the inspector came over.

boq could be language barrier.

i hope Mr. Shinall find some time to clear out some queries that have risen as of late
    Triple F.

Fight F@k Fight