Mini painting community

Thread: Mini painting community

Default Mini painting community

Hello, my name is Corey and I have been painting for around two months now, I have fell in love with the hobby. Due to a confusing experience on a different mini painting forum (I prefer not to name), I have a question regarding if perhaps I am addressing the mini painting community incorrectly?
    So my mini painting journey began a couple of months ago when I purchased a paint kit, it came with three miniatures. I posted them on the forum as I completed each one, occasionally posting work in progress photos as well. I finished all three, I was perhaps a bit overly excited as I felt they were very promising for my first minis (mind you I am a bit OCD and just these three took me roughly 2 months to complete, which I mentioned in my posts as well). So when I posted the completed kit, there was some very nice comments, though most comments were mainly regarding the starter kit and how “results were not typical”.
    Here’s where the confusion comes in. As I was hoping for some critique on the actual miniatures and not the potential of the kit, I decided to post the following day again, only this time focusing only on the two completed minis I was most proud of and not the kit. Also the first post did not get many views and I did not think it would be a big deal to post again in case there were knowledgeable painters whom happen to overlook the first post. As it turns out it was overlooked quite a bit, the second post had many more views and had some very nice and helpful critiques from the community. But to my surprise this second post was equally met with comments such as; “You keep posting the same minis, we get it you have an attention problem”, “You’ve already been told it was good, new painters are going to see this self downfall and think like well if he’s bad then I’m horrible, Stop seeking attention”..etc
    So I guess my questions here are:

• Am I wrong to feel disheartened towards the hobby over these reactions? Are reactions like this common?
    • Is posting your work for both criticism and compliments to help you improve, not the mechanics intended for forums such as these?
    • Is it wrong to post the same miniature more than once? If I have a question regarding a mini that has already been completed and posted once, would it be less irritating if I just ask the question without a photo to reference? Is this what is meant by “seeking attention”?

Anywho, thank you for your time and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Hi,

first, welcome to the forums.

It would be good to see the minis you mentioned (uploaded here or with a link to the forum (I see no problem you naming it))

To your questions:
    - can't say if you are wrong to feel disheartened or not over the reactions. It wouldn't bother me, but I know members here who would.
    - are reactions like this common? not really, and while I wouldn't write a similar reaction, seeing the same 2-3 minis in multiple threads would make me not care about them. As a 'rule' seeing them in a WIP and maybe in a 'it's ready, please vote/critique' thread is enough of one mini.
    - posting for crit and compl on forums like these: yes. Here on CMON unless very explicitly asked for you'll get very little(almost none) critique, but multiple compliments. It's great for the ego, less for improving.
    - posting more than once: depends on why is it posted multiple times. Personally I like to see new works from painters. It's different from person to person, but if I wanted something extra for an old mini of mine I'd simply ask in my WIP thread again and with a pic as without one there is no real way to answer (painting minis is highly visual ) and not open new threads about it.
    - seeking attention for me would be having ... let's say 3+ threads about the same mini. I'd probably comment in the first one and completely ignore the others.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hello MAXXxxx,
    thanks for the welcome. I think I understand what you are saying about reactions and over posting, I will keep these in mind in the future for sure. I do believe one of the minis was posted twice and the other three times, so maybe I had crossed a line. Honestly I just assumed if someone didn’t care for the additional posts, they would just ignore it. You had mentioned a personal WIP thread, that’s a fantastic idea, perhaps I will just start one of my own on CMON so it is all only compiled there. I am at work atm but will def get some pictures up when I get home later and put the link here if that’s ok. Thanks again for the insight and have an excellent day MAXXxxx. Cheers!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...062#post885062. Here is the link MAXX, thanks again for a warm welcome and helpful advice. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Verbalis Kint View Post

• Am I wrong to feel disheartened towards the hobby over these reactions? Are reactions like this common?

First off let me say the the internet allows some people to indulge their inner spoilt brat, so don’t give it too much credit. Best advice I can give you is paint for your own pleasure and use the forums to help you develop better techniques and your own distinctive style.

• Is posting your work for both criticism and compliments to help you improve, not the mechanics intended for forums such as these?

As MAXXxxx has said use the Work in Progress forum it’ll help you get Good Advice.

• Is it wrong to post the same miniature more than once? If I have a question regarding a mini that has already been completed and posted once, would it be less irritating if I just ask the question without a photo to reference? Is this what is meant by “seeking attention”?

[COLOR=#454545] We have a general guidance that 3 images of the same thing is about the max we’ll think is acceptable. Normally we’d suggest combining front, back, and side shots into one picture. Asking questions is never really wrong and if it’s a specific area you want advice or criticism on a photo does go’s along way (visual hobby remember )
    AND let’s face it we’re an attention seeking species on a forum which allows us to say ‘Hey look at what I just did’ amongst our peers.
    So basically we’re just a bunch of enthusiastic geeks, doing what geeks do best, and geeking all the way.
    Don’t worry about it, chill and have fun.[/color-blue]
    Welcome to the madhouse.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Dragonsearch, thank you so much for your kind words! Very well said and I will definitely remember it. I am feeling encouraged and hopefully I will get my hands on a new mini soon. Unfortunately time is limited at the moment. I look forward to chatting with all of the enthusiastic geeks! : ) Cheers!