Verbalis Kint’s Painting Log
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verbalis Kint’s Painting Log

Default Verbalis Kint’s Painting Log

Hello CMON!

Rookie painter here, about two months. Starting this WIP thread seems like a really neat idea as a library of progression. Constructive criticism and feedback on ways to improve along the way will always be welcomed!
    A little back story for ya; a group of old friends and I decided to start a D&D campaign, I wanted to paint my own character so I ordered a starter kit. I watched a ton of tutorials while waiting for it. Once it and few other things (washes etc.) arrived, I practiced on primed plastic spoons for a bit. I am an extremely sloooow painter lol and I have two toddlers ages 2&3. So my posts may be few and far in between but I’m stoked when I can find time. Here is the journey so far! Cheers!

First Mini:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Then started on the Mangu Timur

Wasn’t real stoked with the cloth, so tried again

Tried NMM on the boot but ended up deciding I wasn’t ready for that yet

2 of 3 down and stoked to try some greens on the orc!

Base coats + skin blends

Actually made some decent time for once on the armor plus some details in one session. Started on the shield and face details the following day and then decided to try NMM one more time on the blade : ) added some medium retarder to very wet paint and it seemed to work really well, Stoked!

Kit complete! Pretty proud of it and super excited to find a Miniature for my D&D campaign!

Welcome to the hobby and forums! First figures look great especially knowing they are Bones figures. I think you could add some highlight to the red on the cloth bit of the knight, on the peaks of the folds and on the sword blade edge. Goblin looks pretty good, probably wouldn't add much to that. Skeleton looks pretty good as well, maybe push the shadows a little darker like in between the ribs and joints so that the white and greyish bone color you used would stand out a little more
    Last edited by ekipage; 08-02-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Hey ekipage, Thank you so much for the tips! Regarding the highlights on the knights cloth, how do you go about pushing a red brighter? The kit didn’t come with a red unfortunately, so after deciding I was dead set on doing red, I ordered a reaper red triad. But every time I try to make it brighter it turns pink! Any insight with technique or recipe would be super appreciated, Cheers!

you can use an orange or a flesh paint to hit the high points. I used a flesh color paint on this one (I think reapers Fair Skin or Maiden Skin and then glazed some red back over it so it wasn't as stark of a highlight) If I was really good, I probably would put some small dots of just the flesh color at some key spots to make it look a little better
    Name:  20181113_211116.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  91.7 KB
    There are probably other ways, but I am not that advanced or knowledgeable yet myself. If you look at Games Workshops painting videos on youtube or their color app or website you will see they usually push orange for the highlight on red.
    Last edited by ekipage; 08-02-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Ahh I see! I need to order some flesh tones anyway, I may try to make some orange with what I have in he mean time. Thanks Eki! Also, the eyes on your mini are fantastic!

Oh. This is awsome

Great first steps into the painting game! Keep at it!

Keep it up -your at a fantastic start!!!!

Welcome to the wip forum. Your work is solid and I think you have leveled up above the novice level. . As Ekipage alluded to, you will hear a lot of advice on improvement and one of those is to increase contrast to make it pop in pictures. This not only means brighter highlights, but darker shadows. With the colors you have it actually works to use the complement of the color you are painting to enhance the shadows. So on your red cloak, take some of the dark green used on the orc an glaze it into the cloaks shadow.

Welcome to the forum. :-)
    For the time being I see your "burning blade" warrior at the top of those three.
    Echoing others, some shading/highlighting will provide some more contrast. So keep going...

You're on the right track with these Reaper minis! I've never used Reaper paint (and I'm just guessing that that is what you're using) but you might consider getting Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, and Wild Rider Red from Games Workshop to help go from a deep red all the way to a bright color. I used them recently and can vouch for their quality for the kind of red you're looking for. With that said, you're off to a fantastic start and keep pushing your skills and trying new things as it is already paying off

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldupage View Post
    Oh. This is awsome
    Thanks Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeebs View Post
    Great first steps into the painting game! Keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Keep it up -your at a fantastic start!!!!
    Very much appreciated! Cheers y’all!

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Welcome to the wip forum. Your work is solid and I think you have leveled up above the novice level. . As Ekipage alluded to, you will hear a lot of advice on improvement and one of those is to increase contrast to make it pop in pictures. This not only means brighter highlights, but darker shadows. With the colors you have it actually works to use the complement of the color you are painting to enhance the shadows. So on your red cloak, take some of the dark green used on the orc an glaze it into the cloaks shadow.
    I would
    Thank you for the tip Krule, I would have never thought to use green! I have a lot to learn about color theory. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Welcome to the forum. :-)
    For the time being I see your "burning blade" warrior at the top of those three.
    Echoing others, some shading/highlighting will provide some more contrast. So keep going...
    I’m rather fond of the warrior too, I like to think of him as an “Anti-Paladin” : ) Thanks for the encouragement Graishak, Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuribo View Post
    You're on the right track with these Reaper minis! I've never used Reaper paint (and I'm just guessing that that is what you're using) but you might consider getting Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, and Wild Rider Red from Games Workshop to help go from a deep red all the way to a bright color. I used them recently and can vouch for their quality for the kind of red you're looking for. With that said, you're off to a fantastic start and keep pushing your skills and trying new things as it is already paying off
    I will put these paints on my list, really appreciate the heads up Kuribo! I will absolutely keep trying new things too, after reading the instructional booklet, I said naaaah lol, I realized pretty early I enjoyed putting my own spin on things. Though I do look forward to learning the basics as well as advanced techniques. Pointers always welcome in my WIP thread Cheers!