I've just ordered this bust, would appreciate any advice or color suggestions

Thread: I've just ordered this bust, would appreciate any advice or color suggestions

Default I've just ordered this bust, would appreciate any advice or color suggestions

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I painted a few minis so far, and I order this bust for a change: https://joapalastudio.com/FROZENFANG-BUST-p92208373
    I work primarily with Vallejo acrylics. Also I've never painted a single space marine. Also I think the color schemes for the space wolf miniatures are fairly different that the ones used for this bust (based on the pictures I've seen).
    Thus I came here for advice.

do you want to paint it like a space wolf? or like on the pic?
    If I go from the pic you'd need: a few shades of red, few shades of flesh color, some browns (including red-brown, orange-brown, yellow-brown), some beige/off white, a few blue-greys, black, white. And depending if you use NMM some metal colors or more greys and browns.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Thanks MAXXxxx,

I would like to paint it like the pic in the store. Also I can't tell if the armor borders and the backpack are NMM or not.
    Last edited by MightyStone; 08-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyStone View Post
    Thanks MAXXxxx,

I would like to paint it like the pic in the store. Also I can't tell if the armor borders and the backpack are NMM or not.
    CONGRATULATIONS, that’s one hell of a leap.
    So several things to think of since I’m primarily working on larger figures (old age means I need to see a little bigger these days.)
    contrast isn’t as strong as on 28mm so the gradients between colours need to be subtler.
    Zenital lighting is your friend (I really need to remember that) so learning to place shadows is essential. Priming in a zenith manner is a great help.
    if you are not using one invest in a wet pallette and drying retardant.

Now in reference to your question in this instance the metallics are metallics an not NMM. Just beautifully treated with washes/glazes.

There are lots and lots of face painting videos on YouTube, look up ones on larger figures, Jaime Ortez, Ben Komets, Roman Lappatt are just a few to learn from.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    that’s one hell of a leap.
    Yeah it is, I'm quite scared about that!
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not using retardant yet, but sometimes I feel It would be helpful when wet blending.
    I've watched some great tutorials by Ben Komets. He even painted that same bust, but there are no tutorials available.

Try this one by Iguazzu, it may be long-ish but it’s of great help.
    https://youtu.be/tzlcesM3-f0
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Much appreciated Dragonsreach!