Sik’s WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sik’s WIP

Sound advice for the entry categories. Hmm... since I am Sam's class prior to the show, maybe I will bring them in and ask him what he thinks. I wonder if you put them in apprentice and ask some of the judges what they think during the show if you are allowed to go back and change your level before the actual judging takes place?

Hmm.. not sure about a category switch I would doubt it. I think you can enter all the way up til Saturday you just miss out on voting for fan favorite. But you’ll enjoy that class with Sam, he’s a great guy. I took his CK studios course in Philly in July and it was awesome. My wet blending skills went through the roof. I’m sure he’ll go over it in the class it’s his preferred method. And I’m also sure he’ll take a look at your stuff, he gave me a little critique on the seer when I was there. He’s really a super positive and good all around guy. I’m looking forward to my con classes big time, hopefully I’ll finally learn to airbrush competently... there are a few more advanced classes I missed out on but I’m sure I’ll learn a ton with what I’m signed up for.

Pieces together some of the base today, basic layout. Not crazy about it... but I think I can make it work. Also made more progress on the gor, I like the skin tones for the most part but still iffy on the hair. Hope I don’t have to redo it but it’s looking that way.Name:  D0A3E6E7-FB98-4119-B2B6-2A5CA0F4CA38.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  1.74 MBName:  3DC0BE39-8CFD-4075-90A0-D3C41B5BCBA4.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  1.77 MBName:  C39F4F2F-4A11-4345-AAE7-8B6F697123E9.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  1.82 MBName:  5D616A5B-48FC-4E80-A5D2-E2EEFAC5EB77.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  1.03 MB

Nice job on the Gor, could it just be that the hair and fur are all basically the same color is what's bothering you about it? Could always glaze some other color into the top hair to differentiate it a bit if that is what's bugging you about it.

Looking very nice. I’m rooting for you to get this ambitious project done in time for NOVA. So I can see it!
    I think the hair is fine, but the horns are making everything look the same. I’d flip the dark & light parts and make the light section paler & colder/less warm. Whatever you do, he looks cool.

You guys should be extra confident -I feel you both will do extremely well In the journeyman-it’s tough but you guys paint very well. Just have confidence and enjoy, knowing that uncle Johnny knows you’ll do well.

Eh, BAM is right, worst case we don't get anything, best case we do medal and know we were better than we thought.

Thanks guys!!! Definitely glad I joined up here, really feeling the community love/support.

Toad- glad to have you here on the thread. I’m looking forward to seeing the Elvis hobbit in person too- he looks awesome! Thank you for the suggestion on the horns, I actually didn’t even notice it which I’m a little surprised as I’m often very critical and finicky with my work. I’m worried about flipping it, both for time and uniformity sake as the bestigor horns are done in the same manner w dark on the tips. Hoping some shadow lining and glazing will help.

BaM- thanks man!! I hope you’re right but with your experience you probably are. That comment honestly made me smile and feel better about the whole thing!

Eli- I think you’re right about the fur. I still think the hair and fur should be similar color, but will try some
    more glazing and washing to see what I get. I’d love to get more contrast and tonal variety in there. And you’re response to Johns comment I think is the exact right attitude to have. I heard once when it comes to these comps to never expect anything, but always be hopeful and try your best. Do I think my models are my absolute best? Honestly, no- BUT are they my absolute given my time frame? Yes. And I feel confident in that. If it’s not good enough, that just means I need to budget my time better.

unfortunately with how life happens I got almost 0 progress done today. But I have from now until NOVA pretty much open. It’ll take some savvy planning with dry times for the base, and I may not be able to do all the freehand I wanted, but I think I’ll be able to get something done for a good product I’m still proud of. I’ll keep this updated as much as I can, but final pics might come after the comp!! Lol

cheers guys

All I can say is that this guy looks awesome. The fur looks super good. Keep going!

Thanks Gorb- put In a hell of a day today. Finished the base in one go. Well almost finished, mushrooms to add if I have time. Small bits on each mini to finish tomorrrow. Clocks ticking but I need some damn sleep...Name:  4425A2B5-304C-4433-8CE0-1CAF9780C977.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.29 MB

Very nice work. Your attention to detail has created a lot of interest.

Really nice job on that base, I love the look of it and can't wait to see it with the figures on it!

Thanks guys!! It’s prepped to add the dudes and everything looks better all together. but I still have some fine detail work to do. I’m dropping out of one of my kill team mini tournaments tomorrow to finish it. I’m playing in another one Friday and I care more about this, I can play KT anytime and it’s not the GT. Hopefully all the models will be in the display case by Friday afternoon. Possibly tomorrow. Also if any of you guys see me around the con please say hello and introduce yourself, I’ll be wearing my con badge/name tag (will Hahn)

heres a pic of the rough layoutName:  D2654F3F-F001-44DA-A818-A21C7F58129E.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  1.34 MB

and my mobile hotel studio where I’ll be finishing it...
    Name:  C9C8CDA3-25BC-4DD1-B102-F45DA45185C0.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  926.3 KB

Nice, wish I would have done the same and waited to turn in, but the last piece was frustrating me so I just said screw it it is good enough! I will try to keep an eye out for you tomorrow when I get up there, but I should be there around 1100 or so.
    Last edited by ekipage; 08-29-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Wow, that mobile studio looks better than my stationary one
    Good luck at the comp, to all of you!

Hope you get the dio finished as I am looking forward to seeing it in person!

Super close... almost finished before my last class at 5. Bout to do it now, I’ll submit them in the am. Thanks Gorb, I pulled out all the stops as it was easier to bring everything than just bring pieces, and I had a semi private class where I was told to bring everything so it worked out. Eki- really good to meet you today!!

So I managed to get it “presentable” today and turn it in, but forgot to take photos before I did. I snapped a crappy one of it in the case. We’ll see how they do in judging, I’m hopeful but expecting nothing. I put in the dio which I titled “Wrong neck of the woods” and the emerald seer. Looking back I wish I had touched up spots on the seer, the competition in this category is astounding. So many good pieces, and it was awesome to see the pieces done by the other forum guys. Shouts to BaM, Eki, and Toad- awesome meeting you guys in person and seeing all of your work.

anyway, here’s a few terrible pics of the last stages and the final product in the case. I bought a macro mat here for photography so I’ll be able to take good pics of everything I did on the dio after con and submit to my gallery.

Name:  5683E9FF-DBF8-43AF-955A-646B4D751169.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  1.35 MBName:  43567087-C35D-433B-9FA7-98F7624E0A85.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  1.02 MBName:  D8E467CD-EDF2-44CD-94EB-40E8E40C54A7.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.10 MBName:  EAE6DD23-7530-4FE6-87A0-529465249D2C.jpeg
Views: 85
Size:  1.29 MB

Congrats on your wins at NOVA! Your Emerald Seer and the Dio were amazing! Well deserved and glad I got a chance to see them in person.
    Last edited by ekipage; 09-01-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Just got back home from Nova and Capital Palette. First off I wanted to just say how awesome it was to meet everyone from the forums in person and see everyone’s work, Eki, Toad, and BaM. I had an absolute blast and was blown away at the competition and quality of entries. And a huuuuge sincere thank you to all of you guys for the overwhelming support and feedback! I’m already looking forward to seeing everyone again next year and now I’m seriously considering Adepticon and a Golden Demon submission or two. Maybe I’ll catch you guys there!!

Eki- thank you bro!!! I loved all of your work you should be very proud. Honestly your tiny dancer was one of my favorites in the entire field and should have gotten something. It was a pleasure seeing them in person and the quality of work you put on those tiny minis!! I really loved them! And seriously such a pleasure meeting you. Sorry I was so busy and didn’t have more time to shoot the shit.

anyway, for those that were not there and are following here I won silver in single mini for the emerald seer and gold and overall best in category for the dio I’ve been working on which I titled “wrong neck of the woods” I was blown away from how much positive feedback I got on my models from some of the painting legends, teachers, judges, and masterclass artists at the con. Overall consensus was that I should be in masterclass next year and that I should try my hand at Golden Demon at adepticon. I’m floored.

Moving on, I snapped some pics on my new macromat to post here. I’m hoping to use my brothers dslr or improve my photography setup a little before I submit the dio to my gallery and for voting. Hopefully it will be soon but I’m heading out of town for the next week so we’ll see.

and pics... finally...

Name:  C1A2725E-B4DD-4D4D-A813-ADF6D5083020.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.40 MBName:  196E7B11-AB2B-4952-A49B-271F9B69C56C.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  539.7 KBName:  FC0B2BFF-6374-4F5C-B081-2BCC57E6C652.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  1.88 MBName:  042E7D0C-6C32-4A41-94FA-FB8229EEFEFC.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  746.3 KBName:  092B6CC7-B919-4453-80B7-A64C4232D535.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  1.33 MBName:  14110342-0A62-4E5E-8BF9-973311452884.jpg