Sik’s WIP - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Sik’s WIP

Quit downplaying your painting on this one! It seems like you’ve learned from it and it looks great. I like the smart use of that purple against the gleaming yellow gold. I’m eager to see what you get up to next, as I know you have some big plans.

The wings look fantastic!
    The glow from the sword is super cool.

I agree with SaintToad: quit yer whining

Seriously though, this came out great, even if it didn't quite meet you own expectations.

Thanks for the time you took to describe how you handled these beautifull wings, you have been through a lot of steps! It reminds me my pain about the stone scales of my trolls haha.
    I like the osl effect as well and the base enhance your work. Very nice job, this is an impressive mini.

Really nice job and overall effects on this one. I really like the wings and how they work with the model.

That's fantastic! And the fact that you've got OSL on as tiny of details as the chains is just sweet. Not to even mention the wonderful paintjob on the wings.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread // Instagram
    Photo-Taking Input?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Lol ok ok okk.... Rhett and gorb, no more whining here. Thank you all for the support!! The owner was pleased, I snapped some pics, it was a fun paint and I learned some things (first try at not just glowing stuff osl so thats cool)- so thats a win there.

Kallfa- any time man, your trolls look BEAUTIFUL the work on the scales was worth it and i can't get over your skin textures, top notch bud.

Eki- tried some new things here, and learned. glad you like it!

Rowwwy- thanks man, but Im sending it back soon and calling it on this one, need to figure out how to pack it to send back across the country. hope she holds up...

but toad mentioned it before, I do have some big plans in the work and hopefully they come to fruition soon. Baby's due any day now so that'll take priority, but I'll try to find time in between and update progress here.

As for now, sis is up for voting here if you want to comment or vote, it is appreciated!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/443910

Tanks again man! Your work is impressive as well! I noticed that you did a very nice work about the lighting of your mini : the light tones on the wings and the dark tones at the bottom, saturated colors located midway... It brings a great visual approach.

Some awesome work Sik. Your freehand is outstanding and I love the reds on this most recent mini.

Thanks Kallfa and Krulebear!! Kallfa I’m really looking forward to seeing the rest of your Gitz as you work on them. And Krulebthanks for stopping in! I have my next couple projects planned out and hopefully I’ll be pushing my freehand game even further.

as for me, I have a few things in the works. Fat Boys body is almost ready for paint I think. The dead guardsman and nurglings will still need a lot of modeling, as well as the base, but I just need to get the juices flowing paint wise to get the stress off a little. I might be scaling back my plans for Golden Demon and only going with 1 entry (maybe 2 if I can go massive overdrive the next couple months) because I think that I may try to do a different mini for resin beast instead of just using Lady A, I feel like she’s gotten a lot of attention and already won an award from creature caster so that could hurt me going against some of the top painters in the country/world at Adepticon- put it this way, Sam Lenz got 2nd last year. And top prize is $2000 so that pays more than GD lol. I ordered a couple models from them, one for now 2 for later. Actually got the Queen of Malifica, hopefully I can have her done for Masters at Nova next year.

I also finally got my Creature Caster award from Miniature Monthly Masters today- the first ever “Golden Krampus”. It’s super cool, and a great cap to my first competition season. I’m really thankful that I did so well and can’t wait to keep going. I entered 3 comps this year and managed at least 1 gold in all and every mini I entered placed. Blown away by that.

im also considering doing the whole Facebook/Instagram thing, since so many others are doing it I figured why not, get my stuff out there a little more. So I did up a logo and banner. Let me know what you guys think!Name:  959022B0-C85D-4F1B-A6A8-C90CF6A74B06.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  484.5 KBName:  48CC6007-DC10-4DBF-A9E7-DE0A74DC6665.jpeg
Views: 126
Size:  554.9 KBName:  70D3A667-56DF-4156-8DFB-DD963139F562.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  528.7 KBName:  AB7E203E-AB87-4148-8365-628F192575B8.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  983.2 KBName:  AE67F74E-DB81-4A38-A861-1CB017C514D2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  1.00 MBName:  A7005E16-8F5D-4C2A-871F-A4DD2FE0185A.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  193.6 KBName:  53EAF4A8-84B8-49A5-AE2D-AAB3E0CE3890.jpeg
Size:  138.0 KB

Got primer on fat boy. For the most part I feel better about him, surprised at how well the green stuff took but I think it still needs a couple coats of varnish to smooth out. you can’t tell it’s greenstuff unless you zoom in on the photos so that’s a win. Anyway, merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!!

Name:  F109445B-D2F4-4BE6-8FDE-93531BACF56E.jpeg
Size:  1.71 MB

Merry Christmas, Sik. Hope you were a good boy and got lots of tiny paintables this year.
    Banner looks very nice. Lots of pretty colors and disgusting eyeballs.
    The new trophy is very awesome. Did you add the purple color or did it come like that?
    re: Green Stuff :: Do you have some silicon clay shapers? They can be very helpful for smoothing out janky bits.

Your banner is great! If you plan to share your stuff on Facebook, there are some nice communities like "painthub for wargames miniatures and models". It's a recent group, easily reachable. It's a good place for a showcase, but the forum is the best for constructive interactions in my opinion.

Thanks Rhett, hope you and yours had an awesome Christmas as well- and same to everyone else here!!

glad you guys like the banner, I’m probably going to change it a little as I had a suggestion that her nips could cause a stir. I’ll get to it at some point.

rhett- yea I actually use clay shapers, they’re amazing and invaluable. I think my problem is that I actually have trouble with the sheen of the green stuff, it’s hard for me to tell when it’s really smooth or not. I’m working with varnish now to tone down harsh details. And the trophy is exactly as it was sent to me, it’s creature casters Krampus bust but Jason from CC painted himself as my trophy, so it’s super special to me and I’m very thankful for it. I got a few nice things, hope you did too. Only models are stuff I bought myself though lol

Kallfa- thanks man, I’ll have to check that one out! I do post on FB a little under my personal profile but want to do an artist profile. Most frequently is Eavier Metal, Painters motivating Painters, the CK studios alumni group, and The Independant characters community or Lords and Heroes community when doing GW stuff. I’ll have to check that one out though!

Dex- thanks yea it’s the Krampus bust from Creature Caster but this one was made for me as a trophy for their manufacturers award from Miniature Monthly Masters this year (for my Lady of Anguish). It was so cool I just bought a real one to do at some point.

But I also got their Queen of Malifica, which is a project for next year as it will take several months to complete, Holy shit is that thing insane.

while doing varnish layers on fat boy, I’m working on a Yan Huo for my infinity squad. Practicing the whole “shiny” thingName:  07351C69-0FAF-4691-A6A4-A68B968297AE.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  631.2 KBName:  30CAE53F-0B44-4372-A07D-AB7737203B90.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  634.7 KB

Really nice work on converting the Nurgle dude. Only small issue I see is the crook of his right arm looks a little rough but I am nitpicking here. As for the Yan Hou figure great job on it so far. I really like those greens you are using for this.

Nurgle dude is looking fantastic, I told you it makes a world of difference once there is some primer on there
    The trick is to see the forest for the trees while sculpting...

The infinity armor is looking amazing as well.

Thanks gorb and Eki!! I hope you both had an awesome holiday!! As happy as I am with the Yan huos armor, I set him aside for now. I finally got to a point where I think that the varnish layers cleaned up my sculpting mishaps, and started throwing paint down/sketching in on Gordo... that’s his new name lol.

Eki- I agree with you, and I need nitpicking on this one. But I think the varnish was able to tone it down enough that it’s not noticable. And as for the green, yeah I’m pretty darn happy with it!!! I can give you the recipe if you ever wanna try some NMM green lol but it’s a little intense.

Gorb- man you were right. It’s good to know and feel more confident as I have a lot more to do on this project, I just wanted to get moving as anxiety and stress was starting to creep in. Thank you for all the encouragement!!

heres my sketching so far on his skin tones. Hopefully he makes you wanna throw up cuz that’s what I’m going for (in a good way... if there is one)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Mr. Nurgle looks indeed infected :-)

And again, I'm very impressed of your trophy collection. I'm confident, that there are more to come ^^

Love it. Colorful but muted. Love those ripples on his right flank.

He is looking pretty bad, in a great way
    Reminds me of the cockroach character from the first MIB, who wore the guy's skin until it basically rotted off.
    That head you chose really does the business, it doesn't look funny at all, pretty gruesome.