Sik’s WIP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sik’s WIP

Default Sik’s WIP

Hey all, I’m new here though I’ve trolled around on the site a fair bit before signing up a few weeks ago. I figured this would be a good way to get more involved with everyone here and to hopefully learn from all the masters on this site. Maybe I can help a few people out as well. I’ve been in and out of the hobby a few times over the years, and got back into it a little over 2 years ago (after 9 year absence) while going through a rough battle with Lyme disease, it helped me push through and I’ve been hooked ever since. I think my painting skills have grown exponentially over that time, as all I really knew how to do when I started was drybrush. Hoping to push my skills even further with the help of the community. Anyway...

The latest project I’m working on is going to be a small but simple diorama, my first project of the type. A brayherd ambush on an ork. I’m trying to get it done to put into the Capital palette comp at NOVA. This will be my first major competition since trying my hand in the Golden Demon Youngblood’s category 2001 (I somehow made finalist). So any C & C is greatly appreciated. I’m racing against the clock on this one, so anything that will help me avoid snags is invaluable. The ork is the closest but I’m debating how much weathering to add and freehand, which designs and colors, was thinking an ivory/tan. The bestigor has a ways to go but I’m happy with most of his skin. Much more weathering will be done on him and some of those pointy Chaos arrow looking graphics on the pauldrons and the tan tunic.

Let me know now what y’all think so far, and suggestions are appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Welcome and really nice work on the Ork and Bray so far! Hope you get these done in time for NOVA as I would love to see them in real life! You going to bring the Eldar Seer and Riptide as well? Those look amazing!

Thanks Eki! I’m goong to do my best to finish these up, the original plan was to also have a gor and two ungors, but ungors are dropping off as the clocks tick. Hopefully I’ll get to the gor to actually give the ambush vibe and not a duel. As for the other models, I am 100% bringing the seer but maybe not the riptide. I was pleasantly surprised at the positive feedback I got from it here as it was done as a gaming piece, not quite what I call display quality. I would consider putting him in after hearing such great things about him here if it were not for the wear and tear he’s suffered over the past 18+ months of being put in and out of cases and pushed around the gaming table. There are a few spots missing paint. I could touch him up but my focus is primarily on this current project. I put it up for voting since it won gold in the local Everchosen open division and was pleasantly surprised at the rating. I am considering bringing one of my bloat drones for the lower division though (I painted them after being back in the hobby for les than 9 months so it should be eligible), I’ll post pics when I have the chance so you can let me know what you think! Maybe I’ll just have to touch up the riptide and bring him just for you lol

well good luck finishing up what you can, I can sympathize with the pressure as I am trying to get two more bases completed myself. Ah, didn't realize it was "just" a gaming piece for you it looks much better than that in the photo gallery. I wouldn't lug it here if you don't plan on entering though, it will be nice enough seeing your other pieces up close.

All I can contribute here is a Wow, these look amazing!
    The shading on the ork's armor is fabulous.

Gorb: thank you!! Yea I’m pretty happy with it, which is why I’ve been putting of the weathering and freehand. Still debating on it...

Eki: thank you I’m going to do my best! And maybe I was unclear i don’t consider it “just” a gaming piece, I’m still very happy with it especially when I painted it, and it is an army centerpiece when on the table. I just don’t quite consider it display quality anymore in that 1. I think my best now is better than it was and 2. The wear and tear on him. Saavy photo skills help hide the paint chips. But I was serious about possibly bringing him, I think the riptide and some of my other early pieces would fit in the apprentice division well, the ones I’m speaking of were all painted within a year of re-enter the hobby after a 9 year absence so I would assume that qualifies. Additional entries are only $5 I think and that’s worth it to me to share my work with anyone else who’s enthusiastic about it. You inspired me to upload a couple of my other earlier pieces, a bloat drone and Coldstar commander done like the riptide. I wouldn’t have to touch them up for the comp so maybe you think i should bring one of them? I’ll post a preview here in case it takes a minute to come up for voting.

Name:  F60D9F7A-7440-490D-B495-2D4FDC6BD31C.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  489.6 KB

Name:  2732C9B9-FA7B-4016-8976-34D79986BB54.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  424.4 KB
    Last edited by Sik Willy; 08-19-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Forgot pics

And for an actual progress update...

got some weathering done on the metals. Still playing with it but I worry the realism contrast a little too much with the style of the rest of the minis?

No, you can't enter the more pieces in the apprentice level I don't need the extra competition Technically I think you could enter them all as apprentice, but the judges can move them up to journeyman or master at their discretion.
    Depending on how much room you have or if you just want to limit how much you carry to NOVA I would say bring them. I know I will have about 5 or 6 entries (depending on if I finish these last two up on time). Great job on the blight drone, especially like those eyes on it! Tough call on the rust (although I like the look of it a little better on the back of the ax than the front part)

Eki carrying things probably won’t be an issue, I’m used to lugging a bunch of cases around when I play local. I’m only playing in kill team events so that’s a small amount of minis. Novas also only an hour drive from home for me. And don’t worry about the competition lol that’s one of the things that made me want to enter in that it’s an open forum competition so you’re competing against yourself more than others which I think is really cool. As for my pieces I wouldn’t feel right entering the seer in apprentice I think journeyman would be the right level for that one and my current project as long as I finish it. I want to put the minis in the bracket where I believe they belong, and to test myself against others to gauge my own painting skill progress, I know I’m not masterclass yet but hopefully one day I will be with enough practice.

i did a little more on the bestigor and I agree I like the back better than the front, but once I added the chipping it kinda came together. I’ll try to make more progress tonight after dinner. Pics are hard to get right with the metallic shine

Then bring it all, just pack it carefully!

I know what you mean, I have really only gotten back into painting the last year and a half or so after a very long break (about 20 years+) so don't know if I should enter in Apprentice or Journeyman level. I am leaning more towards Apprentice since I haven't painted that many figures completely (only about 10 or so) but part of me is curious to see how they would do at a higher level.

Rust is looking better on the ax

Again, I'm floored, the bloat drone and riptide jobs both look stunning.
    As for weathering / freehand over such nicely shaded armor - I know I am worried too about messing up, but I'm trying my best to keep going.
    I know I won't improve if I don't - and I won't get to the vision I had in my head when I started

Eki I’ll probably bring a couple of the others, packing is an issue I’ll tackle when I get there lol. As for division, I was really unsure myself what I should enter as I’ve never been to NOVA and didn’t know what to expect, but was surprised at how stiff the competition there is in EVERY bracket after looking through pics online. There were several in the journeyman category that I think could have fit into masterclass. Even the apprentice winners were very very good. Maybe there’s someone around here with experience at that comp that could give either of us some advice? You may know better than I as I’m super new here. And thanks, I did a little more to it and it’s getting better imo too. I’ll hopefully make some progress today as I’m off, and post some more progress pics tonight.

gorb- thank you!! Glad you like them. Not long ago they were the best I could do but I think I’ve surpassed that now which a personal achievement and milestone. As for the freehand, for the most part I e gotten past the “fear” stage of it, I’ve learned by doing it enough that starting over isn’t always a bad thing and it’s doable. But at this point I’m in such a Time crunch that doing all the armor over would be very detrimental to the final product, but adding the designs will elevate the product. So I know I have to do it just depends on if time allows. So many of the cooler things I’ve done with minis were scary to attempt because I used to hate doing things over. But once I got the attitude of “if I mess up, oh well, I’ll just redo it” I learned so much, and honestly discovered a bunch of crap by accident too. Bob Ross FTW lol

as I mentioned I’ll be working on the project today, I’ll post pics later

Excellent thread I’m now part of-and proud to be a part of it as well siks.

Thanks BaM!! Glad to have you here- would love to hear your input on the current project! Also, maybe you read Eki and I were debating what divisions we should enter at NOVA- maybe you could give some guidance as a veteran competitor? This will be my first year, and honestly first gaming/mini con since Gamesday Baltimore 2001.

anyway, I promised pics. Got some done today but not as much as I would have liked. I’m liking the rust more but still want to bring it up a little. Also I feel like things are coming together more, all but slowly at that. But I guess that’s how it always is

also im sorry if any of these pics are sideways, I don’t know why they’re uploading like that...

Name:  440132B5-D6A1-4330-8B1F-9FD90F1B2605.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  1.89 MB
    Name:  7174E2EA-EED5-40AB-840A-32864959B47D.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  863.1 KBName:  D76FE401-4925-46FE-A565-8BAAA52A222F.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  978.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sik Willy View Post
    But once I got the attitude of “if I mess up, oh well, I’ll just redo it” I learned so much, and honestly discovered a bunch of crap by accident too. Bob Ross FTW lol
    Well said sir, well said!
    I'll have to print this quote out and stick it on my wall

PS: your photos are sideways because CMON's website interprets the images as-is. Your camera/cellphone probably stores them that way, and adds a metadata tag saying "ROTATED", so most smarter software (such as photoshop) will display it correctly. It is a pain in the butt. You should be able to fix it by loading the image into photoshop, and saving it again under a different filename.
    YMMV, I use imagemagick for this from the commandline on my mac.

First time dropping in here....some lovely work going on....

Looking forward to seeing what you have to share next

Thanks for the advice gorb, for now I’m stuck doing this just on my phone, I have no internet connectivity at the house since a recent storm blew out my router. I tried doing some rotating/cropping maybe that will help.

hairster, glad to have you and thank you! I took a peek at your gallery and you have some very impressive stuff!! To be honest I think the scores on some of your pieces do not reflect your work, they should definitely be higher!! I’ll see what I can do about adding some votes.

I started on my 3rd man yesterday, the ambushing gor. I guess he’s still in the “ugly” phase but hoped it would look better by now. I’m debating whether to stick with my color choice on the hair, was going for a dirty white/grey matter down with algae dirt and forest vegetation. It’s at the beginning stages, a wet blend base coat and couple washes maybe it will look better with more layering. I’m also not loving the palette at this point, reminds me of vomit. Planning for blue Celtic inspired warpaint which should contrast nicely with the skin that may do the trick. Just wish I had more time on this project... seriously debating whether or not I should just go with a dirty black instead but I can’t afford mistakes and redos at this point!

Name:  45B64660-F98F-4F6B-934F-47E03926957C.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  474.2 KBName:  3324B01D-4888-40B2-A5A8-30BEE2E80106.jpeg
Views: 194
Size:  597.3 KB

Gor looks like it is coming along nicely! Can't wait to see this one finished up. You are cutting it close

I think you both should be “JOURNEYMEN”in the because your both highly accomplished painters and the only thing your missing is an award from the big time events ex- what you need to get into the masters is a trophy from any or all of the following ,golden demon ,crystal brush, a beat of or overallwin from one of the crystal brush “qualifier” so a an overall win a NOVA or an overall win at the Bay Area open, or an overall win at Las Vegas open. And you also should be on the roster for teaching classes at these events.

If you dont have these criteria than you should go into the journeymen-all’s it means is your amazing as an artist but you haven’t competed long and don’t have these types of awards because your still new to competeting .

NOW IF YOU WANT TO GO INTO APPRECTICE ASK THEM WHAT THE THINK (the judges) cause they have the authority to BUMP AN ENTRY UP TO THE NEXT DIVISION !!!
    Last edited by BloodASmedium; 08-24-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Eki- thanks! He’s looking better now that I’ve worked on him a little more. And yes I’m cutting it very very close... good thing I’m off this week to work on it and pack. I’m going to South Carolina for a family vacation the day after Nova so I have to pack for that too, my sons been sick so that cut into my time also. He’s good now, and I was able to at least start assembling the base today. Then I realized I needed clay and pva glue. Didn’t have nearly enough milliput, and my glues all dried out- among other issues but I guess that’s how it goes right? Always something.

BaM- dude thank you so much for the input, I fell like the primers kinda vague so it’s really good to get some clarification. I was pretty set on the idea that my seer and my current project (pending completion) should go into the journeyman category. I’m not expecting anything but eager nonetheless, and wouldn’t feel right in the least even considering the apprentice category for these pieces. I was however, considering it for the bloat drone and possibly the Coldstar or riptide (most likely Coldstar since the riptides kinda beat up) just to throw them in. They were both painted less than 9 months after I got back into it, and I’ve improved substantially since then. Always being critical of myself and my own work I look back on them and see 100 things on both that I could either improve, I don’t like, or I could do much better now. I’ll probably bring them along and see what the judges say. Worst case they sit in a case in my hotel room.

ill post more pics as soon as I make more notable progress