Whats the difference?

Thread: Whats the difference?

Default Whats the difference?

Just getting into painting miniatures and slugging through all the info out there.

On the topic of primers, I've decided to go with Hycote, whats the difference between Hycote Primer, Hycote Plastic Primer, and Hycote Matt spraypaint, which should I use for my miniatures?

Thanks for any input

I’m not too sure about the plain primer however it could be an all round primer formulated for a wide variety of surfaces. The plastic primer would be formulated specifically to etch onto or chemically bond with the plastic surface. Without reading the cans it’s hard to say but the Matt spray paint sounds like it’s a normal coloured paint that doesn’t provide much protection to paint wearing and chipping off like a primer does. The general Hycote primer would cover multiple uses for your work whereas the plastic primer is the obvious choice for plastic minis.
    I’m not familiar with the primers you mention so I could not give you advice regarding their effectiveness. There are many other good quality primers out there including Stynylrez and Vallejo acrylic primers. Both can be used in an airbrush and with a brush. Neither leave brush strokes. I find the Vallejo great with a brush and the Stynylrez better through an airbrush. Rattle cans are great if you don’t have access to really good bottles of the stuff but you waste so much of an aerosol can’s contents.

I just got some Vallejo primers (gray, black and white) and I'm going to try them on three identical goblin plastic minis. I plan on painting them identically with the same scheme to see how the undercoat primer affects the colors. The gray and white primers have a decent viscosity and adhere to this goblin mini fairly well. The black, however, seems a bit thin straight out of the bottle and it disperses more like a wash than a primer. Any ideas on how to thicken a watery primer so it adheres better to plastic?
    O'Brien: I hope these are the right coordinates. Just kidding, Doctor. I know how much you love the transporter.
    Pulaski: About as much as I love comical Transporter Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Varl View Post
    I just got some Vallejo primers (gray, black and white) and I'm going to try them on three identical goblin plastic minis. I plan on painting them identically with the same scheme to see how the undercoat primer affects the colors. The gray and white primers have a decent viscosity and adhere to this goblin mini fairly well. The black, however, seems a bit thin straight out of the bottle and it disperses more like a wash than a primer. Any ideas on how to thicken a watery primer so it adheres better to plastic?
    By the sounds of that you might have the airbrush primers.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hi Limi,

First and formost: welcome to the hobby!

Regarding your question, I don't know the Hycote Primers but looking at the infos available on there website, I would choose the Matt spraypaint.
    Because it's the one which looks the more versatil (regarding all possible materials for "casting" miniature : plastic, resin, ..., it is the safger choice I believve).
    And also because I personnaly think making the first layer with matt paint can help you during the next steps by avoiding/reduce the brightness/reflection that can occure when looking at the miniature under a lampe (which you will certainly do during to paint it ).

@Varl:
    I believe the vallejo primers are mainly developped to be used in an airbrush, and I never have any issue of aderense or viscosity when using it with my airbrush (for a dilution ratio of 1/1).

I tried the Vallejo primers, but didn't care for them (maybe because I don't have an airbrush to run them through). Switched to Badger Stynlrez and those work well with just a brush (at least the Grey, yellow and red-brown one's)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    By the sounds of that you might have the airbrush primers.
    Hmmm. Nowhere on the bottle (or on the Amazon page selling them) does it say airbrush primers unless I completely missed it. Sorry Limi. I don't mean to hijack your thread. Any ideas on how to thicken a paint/primer? Leave the cap open for a day?

Edit: I think they'll still work. I found they do work much better on metals than plastics. They also do say on the bottle airbrush. Oh well.
    Last edited by Varl; 09-24-2019 at 11:20 PM.
    O'Brien: I hope these are the right coordinates. Just kidding, Doctor. I know how much you love the transporter.
    Pulaski: About as much as I love comical Transporter Chiefs.

I never checked on the bottle if it is was explicitly mentionned.
    I mainly assume so du to the consistance of the paint out of the bottle.

And the product description on Vallejo's own websie is rather oriented on a use with an airbrush too:
    https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/cate...ace-primer-en/

But that doesn't mean it can't be used with a brush, but you may need to thicken it indeed.
    Maybe with a tickening gel? I know Liquidex have some:
    https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Prof.../dp/B001US2NT2