Monochromatic painting

Thread: Monochromatic painting

Default Monochromatic painting

I am wondering if someone has monochromatic painted his army.... ? I think the armies suit wel for this less time consuming method... (which i dont have experience with)

Hi,

if done right, then it's much more time consuming, than a normal colorscheme army.
    You not only have to get the shading right, but you don't have the help of cold-warm colors, different tones and contrasting colors.
    Forgot, that it works again.

And Zenithal priming with a few more colour accents

Lets say lannisters priming black from below, darkred from middle and perhaps a lighter red from above.....
    And perhaps highlight the weapons and such.

would that work?

My paining and priming days are from the ninetees...

well they are your figures, so why not? sure. As long as you like them the way they are they are good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time what you describe is a pre-shaded model, not a monochromatic one.
    To help with the 'readability' of the figure with the missing colors, you'd have to play with each area to have a different lightness to make them visible.

Having 3 tones is a good start (1 really dark, 1 middle, 1 light).
    Then for example on these:
    https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/10237...rossbowmen.jpg

- you could make the armor dark.
    - then to make the belts and pouches separate, they'd be the middle color
    - then the trousers give a bit of a problem, as to have contrast they'd have to be the light color which you may not like.
    - boots could be then the dark color
    - face should be the light one (hair could be the middle tone)
    - feather is either the middle or light (the dark armor separates them good enough, so either one works fine)
    - sleeves light, hands/gloves middle tone, then weapons can again be dark/ deviate from monochrome a bit and use metallics on them.

btw the dark/middle/light in general means:
    - dark (black in your case, altough I'd rather use a black-red or dark grey instead, so you have the chance to shade it with pure black): about 50-75% of the area the darkest color highlighted with the middle/light tone
    - middle (dark red): about 50-75% of the area the middle tone, shaded with the dark color, highlighted with the light one
    - light (light red): about 50-75% of the area is the light tone shaded with the other 2 as needed.

The only problem with this plan is that you may not like the light (red) sleeve/trouser one. To change that you'd need to replan the other areas too.

one moment I'll edit the pic in PS a bit to show about what I mean.

edit:
    the pic. On the feet I couldn't decide if going light or staying dark would be better, I'd probably stay with the darker one.
    Name:  a-song-of-ice-and-fire-lannister-crossbowmen_edited.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  38.9 KB

you can paint it relatively easy by:
    - priming the whole thing light (white, or some really light yellowish one (wraithbone spray from is good for this)
    - use a thinned wash of the light color on the light areas (I'd try a 3:1 ratio (GW contrast medium: GW contrast red))
    - on the medium areas use the (contrast) red as is or slightly diluted (1:1 or 1:2)
    - on the armor (dark areas) paint it black with a line highlight of a strong red (GW mephiston red for example)
    - paint blades/arrowheads metallic and done?
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 09-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

o yes and that add some colours like the hats and shields if applicable.