Cavalry rule vs NW Crossbowmen's Order

Thread: Cavalry rule vs NW Crossbowmen's Order

Default Cavalry rule vs NW Crossbowmen's Order

Just wanted to confirm the following trigger sequence was played correctly:

1. Start of turn [trigger]
    2. Cavalry unit (ex Flayed Men) activates [Activation trigger] and choose Charge action (pg 15)
    3. Flayed Men use Cavalry rule to make free maneuver (move closer to Crossbowmen) [trigger]
    4. Flayed Men choose Crossbowmen as charge target [trigger]
    5. Crossbowmen use their Order, shift and perform Ranged attack
    6. Flayed Men pivot and then roll for distance.

Cheers
    Last edited by il-Fieres; 09-15-2019 at 08:38 AM.

In my interpretation of page 15, you trigger and perform the Free Maneuver first, before declaring the action of that activation. (in your scenario, Declaring charge would happen in number 4, instead as part of number 2).
    Othervise, I agree with your interpretation.

Hi Fronx,

As per Shinall's post, you first "Declare a Charge Action" then at a later step, you choose your charge target.

So up to now sequence is:
    1. Start of turn
    2. Activate Unit
    3. Choose action or forgo any action -ex. Declare Charge in this case
    4. Declare Target
    5. Crossbowmen Order

Page 15 states "When a Combat Unit activates, it may select 1 of the following actions to perform:..."

Cavalry rule states "At the start of the unit's activation, it may make a free Maneuver action"

Now the issue is, what comes first?
    1. Activating the unit and choose action
    2. Performing first the free maneuver
    3. Perform action chosen in step 1

Or is it the case of Simultaneous actions (pg 23) where active player decides sequence of Free Maneuver / Choose action?

Also, on pg 8 it mentions that first you select 1 unit to activate and THEN the unit will perform an action, which seems to indicate that Activation and actions following are separate triggers/steps.
    Last edited by il-Fieres; 09-16-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Michael is referring to an infantry unit in his response, so the two situations are not quite the same.

The actions are also not simultaneous, as the ability to take a free Maneuver action is triggered at the start of the unit's activation. If the unit declares a charge, for example, it cannot take a free maneuver after that charge has been completed, as it is no longer the start of the unit's activation.

Not to mention that it would also not be a very wise play, since if you successfully charged you can't maneuver.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

Quote Originally Posted by serbaelish View Post
    Michael is referring to an infantry unit in his response, so the two situations are not quite the same.
    I used his post to reference the sequence. First the unit chose the charge action, THEN they chose the charge target THEN the Crossbowmen shoot THEN the unit resolves the charge action.

The actions are also not simultaneous, as the ability to take a free Maneuver action is triggered at the start of the unit's activation. If the unit declares a charge, for example, it cannot take a free maneuver after that charge has been completed, as it is no longer the start of the unit's activation.
    I never suggested this. Selecting an action when activating a unit does NOT imply that the action is resolved immediately (see above). In fact, I am saying that the free manueuver action should fit somewhere between activating a unit and before resolving the charge action.

Not to mention that it would also not be a very wise play, since if you successfully charged you can't maneuver.
    Perhaps the free maneuver can be used in case of a failed charge, before the Panic Test, to move into a more favorable position...

P.S. A simple timing sequence in the rulebook would go a long way to resolve such issues
    Last edited by il-Fieres; 09-17-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Choosing your Action is not a Simultaneous Event with Activating the unit- it is the next step in resolving the Turn/unit's Activation.

In the above question, order of resolution would be:

1. Player's Turn begins
    2. Player chooses unit to Activate (Flayed Men)
    3. Start of Unit's Activation
    -->Trigger Cavalry Ability
    -->Resolve Cavalry Ability
    4. Unit chooses Action (Charge)
    5. Unit resolves Action (Charge)
    -->First step of Charge is declaring a target
    -->Ready! Aim! Fire triggered
    -->Ready! Aim! Fire resolved
    -->Continue resolving Charge Action
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Thanks for the clarification