Question about charges

Thread: Question about charges

Default Question about charges

In a youtube batttlereport i saw a charge which kept me busy for a week now.

See picture, is a charge from A to B legal if C is there and D is not there?

And if it is legal, is it still legal if C and D are there? Sorry for the image in size and positioning

In the youtube videa the charge was "legal".

I think charges should in straight lines, so going from A to B with just C it is possible to charg, after a small pivot a straight line is possible towards B to touch it. But with D between it it aint possible... right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With D gone, yes, it's possible that A would be able to pivot and then charge into B (assuming, of course, that A rolls high enough).

With both C & D present, no. After the pivot there's no straight line that would allow a charge.

If A is cavalry or a wolf, then the question is likely moot. They should be able to position themselves with their free maneuver so that they can charge in either scenario.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

You do not mention ownership, so hard to answer.

Unit can move and charge through friendly Units (as long as at the very end of the move, in Charge after the align, there is no overlapping). Cannot through enemy Units. So answer depends on Unit ownership. If D is friendly to charger, it is legal. If D is enemy, not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronx View Post
    You do not mention ownership, so hard to answer.

Unit can move and charge through friendly Units (as long as at the very end of the move, in Charge after the align, there is no overlapping). Cannot through enemy Units. So answer depends on Unit ownership. If D is friendly to charger, it is legal. If D is enemy, not legal.
    So lets say: C and D belog to A, A can charge B as the intervening troops are friendly??
    (and ofcourse if there is space, in which in this case there is as he can positioning himself on the far edge of B...)

Yes, because you can move through both C & D, make contact with B, then shift both A & B so that they're engaged and A is not overlapping with D.

But Fronx brings up a good point--that will work only if if D is a friendly. If D is an enemy unit, there's no legal charge available (assuming, again, that A is not a unit that has a free maneuver).

For the record, I was assuming C & D were enemy units in my initial response.

Quote Originally Posted by serbaelish View Post
    Yes, because you can move through both C & D, make contact with B, then shift both A & B so that they're engaged and A is not overlapping with D.

But Fronx brings up a good point--that will work only if if D is a friendly. If D is an enemy unit, there's no legal charge available (assuming, again, that A is not a unit that has a free maneuver).

For the record, I was assuming C & D were enemy units in my initial response.
    They were enemies but i changed the question a bit once i noticed there is a difference between friendly and not friendly....

So lets say fast cavalry positioned behind two of your units with a small gap between them where the fast cav can see the enemy can charge to the enemy as long there is enough room to positioning itself against that enemy...?

In most wargames you face a disorder penalty or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarKhan View Post
    They were enemies but i changed the question a bit once i noticed there is a difference between friendly and not friendly....

So lets say fast cavalry positioned behind two of your units with a small gap between them where the fast cav can see the enemy can charge to the enemy as long there is enough room to positioning itself against that enemy...?

In most wargames you face a disorder penalty or something like that...
    Yes. In the image you posted, A already has line of sight, so would not have to maneuver around those friendly units in order to charge--you'd adjust alignment for A & B after making contact so that A doesn't overlap the other friendlies. Depending on A's speed, the cav may want to use their free maneuver to get closer, and then charge.

Note also that you will only adjust A & B after making contact--you can't move C or D in order to avoid overlapping.

And, of course, you always have the possibility of a disorderly charge--if you roll a 1.

If both C and D are friendly units to A, then it could pass through them to Charge B.

If either are enemy units, A would need to pivot in some fashion to avoid them, as you cannot move through enemy units per Charge rules, with the level of pivot being needed varying based on if C or D are the enemy units in question.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft

Can unit after "charge pivot" be within 1'' of enemy?
    Can unit when performing "charge pivot" pivot over enemy (if it dont end pivot overlapping it?