Hello Cool Mini Or Not, first time here ( and im noob ).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello Cool Mini Or Not, first time here ( and im noob ).

Default Hello Cool Mini Or Not, first time here ( and im noob ).

Hello all, i have been in this modeling / wargaming hobby for about a year and a half now, it's my first time ever dealing with models or paint in any form at all. I have painted all the models i own, so i am now trying to see if im any good at building stuff like terrain from scratch. I am currently working on building this tower that i have not pre planned at all, i have designed and constructed this at the same time. The only place im getting ideas from are these two pictures from google images that you can see at the very end of this post.

Thanks for having me.

EDIT - I also agree with any one who thinks the roof of this building looks like shit.
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Clouds; 09-18-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Welcome! Wow, that is a pretty cool tower.
    Loving the exterior finish, and the door looks really cool.
    Is it mostly plaster?
    Can't tell about the interior, it looks like you re-inforced the plaster with wooden sticks?

Thanks Gorb, yes its some sort of plaster i think, but it's called modeling paste, orginally the walls were flat, and i was only using the paste to fill in the gaps, but it got so messy since it was my first time i decided i should slap it all over the walls to give it a "old" concrete look.

Nothing is re inforced, those sticks you see in the first pictures is because i was had no idea what i was doing at first and was attempting to make a flat platform from which a bell would be hanging above so it would be a bell tower with big windows or large gaps on all sides of the walls so you could see the bell, but yeah things changed for reasons i cant remember exactly. Any way next time i try this i might try and plan it out more first and get more accurate measurments going on lol.

The doors were flat green plastic i ripped off this green plastic container, the lines on the door were cut by me individually using a razor and ruler. But yeah im terrible at maths and i cant remember when i last had to measure some thing in my life so this has been a challenge to say the least ahahaha.

Cheers for your comment appreciate it.

Edit - Oh any the front arch is larger then the rest on purpose just incase your wondering .
    Last edited by Clouds; 09-18-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Welcome to the show :-)
    A while ago, since I heard the term "noob" the last time... (I stopped playing WoW meanwhile >6 years ago ;-) ).

Quite creative work on the tower. Keep going! To my mind building something custom, like terrain, is the top level of creativity work.
    You should stop at the WIP of St. Toad to get some inspiration on basing, and the WIP of Gorb will show you what amazing things can
    be build out of simple fiberboard.

Thanks Graishak, yeah i still use that word alot for some reason instead of "newbie" etc lol. Thanks i will possibly check that out, appreciate it!.

I have ripped a huge chunk of that roof off to look like it has been smashed by missile or some thing and i have started to paint it, i will post pics soon( tomorrow maybe ). Oh i also added a big pipe going down in to that little drain box thing lol.

Cheers, have a good one.

Tower looks really good, but you want to think about measuring out future projects (even if you are doing a rough sketch on some graph paper) as that way you will know you have your dimensions right. Not saying yours is bad by any means as I do like it and it will look a lot nicer even when you paint it. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

cool stuff, good first go.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

So sorry every one for such a long delay when i said i would post soon, i have been caught up with other things. Any way here is what it looks like at the moment, not finished though even though it should be finished by now. Basicly i was not happy with the roof so thats why i made it look like it has been struck by some thing, i will put flooring inside that roof area so troops can access it so the tower becomes useful in that aspect aswell as being a terrain peice.

I have made some mistakes and stuff, the door is a nightmare and it took me two or three tries to get it done, i was not sure how to go about it. And since i had to re do it and paint over it alot of the lines i had cut in to it have dissapeared slightly, but it still looks fine. But yeah.
    Last edited by Clouds; 10-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks its still not finished though, i need to clean up areas like the bricks around the entrance that have some accidental marks of other paint, and then i gotta add ground or grass around it and finish bottom area of door ( needs two more bricks at bottom and the door step needs to be painted, ) also the door hinges are not done and the door handle is not done, they need lots of work still and also i have to fill those two gaps in the door where you can see through, so yeah still a alot to do ill post better pics when finished completely i just wanted to post a post here since i had been busy and not posted an update .

Thanks Arkaan.

Looks awesome! I love that blue you are using, it contrasts nicely with the bronze metal.

I think you did a really nice job on the tower and agree that those colors go well together. Only thing I might add is if you painted the sides a lighter grey/whiteish and then used some inks or washes to dirty it up, vice the darker grey. Regardless it still looks great and nice job overcoming the issue you had with the roof and destroying your creation as it brings some additional character to the piece.

Thanks everyone you are too kind. Appreciate the advice and every thing. Thank you.

Here are pics from the first building i built from scratch, and 1 new pic of the tower which i have started to lay the basing materials, and i also managed to add that new ( giong to be concrete, its cardboard basicly with plaster splattered all over it to give it that texture ) peice in to cover up those two big gaps, it was hard to get it in since i had to install it through the hole in the roof, i also have filled in most of the hole with broken roof parts which ill show later.
    Last edited by Clouds; 10-16-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Nice work! I like the ramshackle building. And as for awkwardly gluing stuff together, that is part of the game. We've all had to do that
    Your final piece looks great!

That shack looks pretty great! Reminds me of good old Fallout 1 & 2 games

Oh you people are just too kind. Thank you, really appreciated.

that shack is really good! I like all the little extra bits you threw on there like the grass and such

Thanks Ekipage, i appreciate it very much.

Im calling this tower finished finally. I just did some highlighting and small things that had to be done and yeah im happy to call it finished now.

NOTE - First picture was taken with artificial white light rather brightly shining on the tower, the other pictures were in natural light with less direct light hitting it.

NOTE - I PURPOSELY MADE THE FRONT ARCH OF THE TOWER LARGER THEN ALL THE OTHERS, JUST INCASE YOU ARE WONDERING :P.
    Last edited by Clouds; 10-17-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Nice work on the tower.
    Noob status has been removed from your profile