Hello Cool Mini Or Not, first time here ( and im noob ). - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello Cool Mini Or Not, first time here ( and im noob ).

Dentured alcohol and a shit load of scrubbing with a non tooth brush brush with hard plastic bristles, i used regular tooth brushes with hard bristles in the past and they useless in comparison
    Last edited by Clouds; 02-09-2020 at 01:33 AM.

nice start on the nurgle fella. looking forward to watching this one unfold
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

That red is looking really nice! I know the model is just "cleaned", but I think the current coloration actually looks pretty cool for a base. Not sure where you plan on taking it, but might I suggest using the current coloration of it to guide how you paint it up (maybe not same color, but kind of use the patterning currently on it

Thanks so much Coyote and Ekipage, you're awsome.

Ekipage im slightly confused with what you have said lol. Do you think the skin looks like it does now because it has just been stripped?, because it looks like that because i have painted washed and x2 dry brush highlighted it.

I have another question for you but ill wait for you to reply to this first .

HAve a great day guys.

The first picture of him is actually very inaccutate and doe not look that bright at all, the second picture is more accurate but its still not that correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Ekipage im slightly confused with what you have said lol. Do you think the skin looks like it does now because it has just been stripped?, because it looks like that because i have painted washed and x2 dry brush highlighted it.
    Sorry for any confusion, disregard what I said. I was going by what you posted previously about this guy just being stripped and just assumed that the greens on it were just the stain from previous paint you couldn't remove.

Haha, all good EKipage, i can understand why you said that as i did not make my self very clear which is typical of me :P. You still complimented me though because you thought it was a cool looking base any way regardless if you knew it was the actual base so it all works out fine :P

Have a great night and day Eki.
    Last edited by Clouds; 02-12-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Ok i am going to try my best to explain my bad situation . As you may know i had already completely painted and finished painting this guy when i first bought him brand new about a year and half ago. He was my first "complicated" model that i have ever painted and i really wanted to do it completely my own way with my own color theme etc etc and he turned out ok the first time, but in the end but i was never happy with it really because i had done alot of things incorrectly due to lack of experience. So about 4 months ago i decided since it was a big and expensive model and i was not really happy with it and was confident i could a much better job now i decided i would do a ONE OFF paint strip for just this one model ( along with a few troops ) from my army.

So we are now at 17.2.2020 and i have litteraly paint stripped this entire model about 7 times now since i began 4 months ago, each time i would get only as far as the basing of the skin done and all the main skin highlights done and then decide i did not like it, or i would like it and do some thing to stuff it up. If i was following a guide or the typical color scheme people use for this guy then i would probably never had even stripped it in the first place.

Every single attempt i made to re paint him the colors would be slightly different or completely different because i was making all my own color and doing all the mixing ( i had alot of issues with running out of paint color i created since i did not make enough even though i thought i had, and this was 1 reason i ended up stripping it again and this happened more then once ) of every thing, i was also making my own washes so nothing was a pre made color out of the bottle. The way it was turning out this very last time that i have been showing you guys was actually turning out extremely well, but as usual i ended up stuffing it up so it is now in a pool of paint stripper.

I have no artistic experience or any painting experience at all except that which i have learned since joining this wargaming hobby almost exactly 2 years ago now. I am way to much of a perfectionist and i have to much OCD to be continuing to try do do this guy completely my own way with my own colors expecting results i am very very happy, so since this has been making me misrible occupying alot of time and just spending way too much time with a scrubbing brush and dentured alcahol ( methylated spirits ) i am going to leave this guy in a box for about 1 year and just focus my attention to completing all my models i have that i have not even started yet.

So i am sorry to have wasted all of your time.
    Last edited by Clouds; 02-16-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
    Ok i am going to try my best to explain my bad situation . As you may know i had already completely painted and finished painting this guy when i first bought him brand new about a year and half ago. He was my first "complicated" model that i have ever painted and i really wanted to do it completely my own way with my own color theme etc etc and he turned out ok the first time, but in the end but i was never happy with it really because i had done alot of things incorrectly due to lack of experience. So about 4 months ago i decided since it was a big and expensive model and i was not really happy with it and was confident i could a much better job now i decided i would do a ONE OFF paint strip for just this one model ( along with a few troops ) from my army.

So we are now at 17.2.2020 and i have litteraly paint stripped this entire model about 7 times now since i began 4 months ago, each time i would get only as far as the basing of the skin done and all the main skin highlights done and then decide i did not like it, or i would like it and do some thing to stuff it up. If i was following a guide or the typical color scheme people use for this guy then i would probably never had even stripped it in the first place.

Every single attempt i made to re paint him the colors would be slightly different or completely different because i was making all my own color and doing all the mixing ( i had alot of issues with running out of paint color i created since i did not make enough even though i thought i had, and this was 1 reason i ended up stripping it again and this happened more then once ) of every thing, i was also making my own washes so nothing was a pre made color out of the bottle. The way it was turning out this very last time that i have been showing you guys was actually turning out extremely well, but as usual i ended up stuffing it up so it is now in a pool of paint stripper.

I have no artistic experience or any painting experience at all except that which i have learned since joining this wargaming hobby almost exactly 2 years ago now. I am way to much of a perfectionist and i have to much OCD to be continuing to try do do this guy completely my own way with my own colors expecting results i am very very happy, so since this has been making me misrible occupying alot of time and just spending way too much time with a scrubbing brush and dentured alcahol ( methylated spirits ) i am going to leave this guy in a box for about 1 year and just focus my attention to completing all my models i have that i have not even started yet.

So i am sorry to have wasted all of your time.

Hi clouds , I understand how you are feeling. Been there. But honestly the best thing you can do is try and let go of perfectionism. See each model as a journey towards being better. Just focus on finishing and learning. Take what you don’t like about one model and improve it in the next. It’s a journey . Try this and I promise it will not only make the whole process less painful and more fun , but you will also see improvement in your painting .

you just have to accept right now you are not as good as you want to be , and the only way to get there is keep finishing models. So yeah stick at at it . All will be good I promise
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

My Instagram - where I post pictures every now and again https://www.instagram.com/coyotepaints/

Not sure if you do this or not, but something I find helpful (although I don't always follow my own advice to my own detriment) is if making custom blends to write down the colors and proportions used that way if you put it down for a bit or have to go back over something you know what colors you used and in what ratios. I will say that the last iteration of him you posted was looking really good, but can totally understand wanting the break if you feel that it isn't working out for you. Let him sit for a while and pick it back up when you feel refreshed enough to have another go at the Nurgle Demon.

I know i dont know what is happening to me i agree it looked good and now i think of it i didn't even really need to throw him in the stripper because he was actually looking better then all the other times but for some strange rediculous reason i keep saying to my self its not good enough and i just throw it back in to the stripper liquid and once thats done its too late to save it. I did have a break from him every time i stripped him, but this time i obviously have to just stop and put him aside for a long time untill i have completed every thing else i have. But as i say i have completely painted him up the first time i bought him so i have done it before, but im so determined to make it way better this time that i cant stop saying to my self that it is not good enough.

And every time i would promise my self i would never strip again, but i break that promise every damn time so loooong break from this guy...
    Last edited by Clouds; 02-16-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotebreaks View Post
    Hi clouds , I understand how you are feeling. Been there. But honestly the best thing you can do is try and let go of perfectionism. See each model as a journey towards being better. Just focus on finishing and learning. Take what you don’t like about one model and improve it in the next. It’s a journey . Try this and I promise it will not only make the whole process less painful and more fun , but you will also see improvement in your painting .

you just have to accept right now you are not as good as you want to be , and the only way to get there is keep finishing models. So yeah stick at at it . All will be good I promise

Thanks Coyote i appreciate it those are very helpful words.

Thanks ekipage, i appreciate it, also very helpful words.

Hey Clouds, sorry to hear about your frustration... If you have room for one more piece of advice: I have heard it said that you should always try to finish a model (or drawing, or whatever) before you chuck it away / start over. The reason being that all art pieces go through a stage called the "ugly as sin" stage lol and sometimes you just have to push through that to get to the other side. Maybe give it a go with this specific piece, push him until he's done, and then even if he is as ugly as all hell put him up on your shelf where you can always see him and know that you faced him and beat him and you have won :thumbsup:

Thanks gorb, yeah i have always completed all my models to completion and left them like that so i am going to stay on that path for now on definitly.

Any way in the mean time iv been taking way to long painting this guy, he was stripped of his orginal paint job at the same time i was doing the first strip of Great Unclean One. I have not finished AT ALL yet but i just thought id show it any way. Orginally he was highlighted with white and i didn't really like it so tried it with yellow this time and it works way better. Im not trying to go all out on this guy im just trying to either match his orginal paint job i did or do it better because all i want to do is get these guys i regret stripping in the first place completed so i can move on to my other models.

Whited out areas are to hide my hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Clouds; 02-27-2020 at 02:18 AM.

Hi @clouds,

Nice warrior here, I like the cloak. Smooth highlights.

To join the comrads here, I totally understand how you feel about beeing a prefectionnist (I constantly want to re-paint all the models I manage to finish).
    I think we are all our very own enemy as we are never really satisfied by what we achieve.
    It is a good thing in a way, because it push us to improve every time, BUT (and take this from a guy who is never ever satisfied of anything he produce :/) :
    keeping track of all you achieve (bad or good), it's really important.

Back when I was drawing all day long (a loooong time ago ), I always kept my drawings to allow be to look at it later.
    I still have some of my old sketch books, and I like to look at it every once in a while.
    Some are really good, a lot are really bad, but all together, they tell a story of my progression though time, and THAT's what is important.
    After a time you will see how good you become compared to some weeks/months ago.

Of course that painting miniature is a more expensive hobby than drawing, and maybe more time consuming too (ore maybe not?), so the frustation can feel more intense. But in the end it's just a hobby, and good skills takes time (sadely).

This video by Squidmar sums it quiet nicely I believe :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpyiMvsT7Q&t=680s

If you want to paint a new (espacially a large/expensive one) mini with a technic/color schem your never tried before, and if you can afford it, I would encourage you to experiment on used mini (you can find some on ebay for a fair price).

And the most important I believe: share your work.
    We are all here to learn from each other, and others may have different opinion about your work that can make you realise what you achieved was not so bad after all...

A good thing is that you decided to put this particular mini aside for a time. Doing so you avacuated some unecessary stress.
    Keep painting, you'll go back to it when you'll be ready...

the chaos dude is looking good. nice shade of red. I think you can get away with going a a little darker in the crevasses though.

What Dexter said! Also, what Coyotebreaks said! +1

The chaos dude looks very cool, I like the saturated red cloak and especially the fur on the shoulders.
    Keep going with him, I reckon if you do like Coyote says and add a bit of shading to the folds of the cloth, and maybe to the horns on hist helmet then he'll be rocking!

Nice work on the Chaos warrior! Agree with the others, that cloak is looking great!

NOTE - The lighting is very dark for the cloak picture. Infact lighting is different for almost all pictures so yeah ill try get it all the same next time when i actually have my own camera.

Thank you Dexter / Gorb / Ekipage / Coyote and every one for all your extremely unbelievably helpful comments and support, you are all really cool people and im glad i am here.

I have no access to a camera at the moment so i cant really update this blog much currently ( sorting it out ). I did manage to take these two photos of my current progress on this Thousand Son, alot has been done since these two pictures though so ill add the new ones asap, these are just really early WIP.

Also that warrior just needs his base done and hes finished ( been busy lately so evry things sloooooow motion ), i did darken some areasa bit more like was recommended by GORB and COYOTE, but as i may have said, i just want to finish this guy and get him to look as good as originally or better so i can just get him out the way since i regret getting in to this stripping mess in the first place and just want to get them done so i can move on to every thing else. He is not even a model i care for really at all, i was given him by a friend a while back since i had run out of models to paint but, but yeah i generally only paint 40k models that i can add to my army.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Clouds; 03-05-2020 at 09:08 AM.