NCU loses all Abilities vs. Unit already influenced

Thread: NCU loses all Abilities vs. Unit already influenced

Default NCU loses all Abilities vs. Unit already influenced

In a game where Cersei or Rodrik or Catelyn has already been played and is currently influencing a unit and an opponent claims the NCU loses all abilities objective card, is the influence immediately lost or is it only lost once the next round starts thereby preventing their card from being attached?

I would think that..... The ability to influence (attach when a zone is claimed) is immediately lost along with all other abilities, but if already attached, the NCU will stay on until the Clean Up Phase. Once attached, the Influence ability isnt needed to stay attached. This idea is similar to a Nights Watch Capatin unit with 2 vows and losing the NWC ability, the two vows stay attached since keeping vows attached is not the ability, just being able to attach a second one is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedGod View Post
    I would think that..... The ability to influence (attach when a zone is claimed) is immediately lost along with all other abilities, but if already attached, the NCU will stay on until the Clean Up Phase. Once attached, the Influence ability isnt needed to stay attached. This idea is similar to a Nights Watch Capatin unit with 2 vows and losing the NWC ability, the two vows stay attached since keeping vows attached is not the ability, just being able to attach a second one is.
    This has been my question all along. Is the ability specific to placement of influence or is the 'ability' also the actual effect of said influence (-2 to morale test rolls in Cersei's case)?

Nothing states "At the start of next round, lose X" it says the NCU loses all Abilities.

The Ability is the entire text on the NCU card. . If it doesn't have an Ability, how exactly are you trying to implement said Ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    Nothing states "At the start of next round, lose X" it says the NCU loses all Abilities.

The Ability is the entire text on the NCU card. . If it doesn't have an Ability, how exactly are you trying to implement said Ability?
    'At the start of next round' is a reference to the rules that dictate what you do in the clean-up phase after every round. Said ability has already been 'implemented' (the more accurate term being attached). This is clear if the NCU hasn't already been attached as it wouldn't even be allowed to attach. In the case when it has been attached, the question is regarding the timing of the influence as the shutting off abilities has occurred after attachment. I wouldn't be asking if the question if there wasn't discussion on whether or not the ability is the entire text on the card as you claim or the ability to influence when the NCU is played. I've always leaned towards the objective card shutting off the -2 to morale save rolls, but I've had others argue the opposite. I've never seen a clear ruling on this one.

If the unit doesn't have the Ability, how are you further applying it; there is nothing to apply.

By the same logic, you could never remove Attachment Abilities because they are "on" the moment they become attached, e.g. the start of the game.

If you blank an NCU before it activates, you can't even attach it to a unit since it doesn't even have Influence. If it's blanked afterwards, it still possesses no Ability at that point, this even includes the Influence text. Related, that also means you would technically never even remove the card, except that the core rules specifically state you remove them at the end of the round.

Again, "loses Ability" is "loses Ability". There is no such thing, or any rules governing, any sort of "lingering" effects in this game. Everything comes from a source at all times.

Alliser is correct. I will specifically call out the "there aren't any sort of "lingering" effects in the game" comment. If something has been cancelled or removed then it has been cancelled or removed, it doesn't matter when it was first applied.
    Designer and Senior Developer
    A Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Age, Rum & Bones, World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch, Wrath of Kings, Xenoshyft