Stannis versus Rains of Castamere

Thread: Stannis versus Rains of Castamere

Default Stannis versus Rains of Castamere

If Rains of Castamere (Tywin) is used on Stannis' unit, do they get the tokens before his abilities are shut off, or is it all simultaneous?

Basically asking if the tokens bounce off of the unit before the abilities are shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Corum89 View Post
    If Rains of Castamere (Tywin) is used on Stannis' unit, do they get the tokens before his abilities are shut off, or is it all simultaneous?

Basically asking if the tokens bounce off of the unit before the abilities are shut off.
    For reference, the card states "Once per game, at the start of any turn, choose 1 enemy Combat Unit:

"That unit becomes Panicked, Vulnerable, Weakened, and it any any Attachments on it lose all Abilities until the end of the round."

There's no sequence noted between the two effects (gaining the tokens and losing abilities), so they both occur at once. If the card stated that abilities were lost and then the conditions were gained, then Stannis's ability could be turned off.

Since it isn't, his unit won't gain the conditions.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

If the effects are simultaneous then won't the active player get to chose the order in which the actions resolve?
    Chaos is a ladder.

Interesting question. I don’t know if the two parts of the card are considered separate effects or a single effect with multiple parts. Simultaneous Actions would only apply in the former case.

I’ll check in with the hive mind on discord, unless an official response comes in the meantime.

active player doesnt choose the order of the effects the controlling player does. active player has first trigger if they're simultaneous and controlled by different players, if the effects are from the same player then that player decides the order.

Well yeah that's basically what I was saying. I just used 'active player' because that's the term that we're familiar with from the Simultaneous Actions rule.
    Chaos is a ladder.

Yeah, I was conflating the two as well.

In any case, the hive mind came down on the side of the point you made previously, Dean. Controlling player gets to resolve the two parts of Rain in a sequence of their choosing. So turn Stannis off, then place tokens.

Standard "unofficial response" caveat applies, of course.