Unit ranking for fun

Thread: Unit ranking for fun

Default Unit ranking for fun

The game is balanced overall, we know this, but i wondered how people perceived the different units within their factions? Here's my ranking:

In black are units of regular value, ranked in power relative to their faction
    In Green are units who perform slightely above their cost
    In Red are units who are costed slightely above their performances, or have drawbacks preventing their potential to show

Starks:
    Stark units are typically great performers, and there are no units that feel "overcosted" imho. They do have some units who i believe perform slightly above their heads.

• Umber Greataxes
    • Umber Berserkers
    • Tully Cavaliers
    • Eddard Stark’s Honor Guard
    • Tully Sworn Shields
    • Stark Sworn Swords (this is a very good unit for its cost)
    • Stark Outriders (these go up if Brandyn is attached)
    • Stark Bowmen
    • Crannogmen Trackers (these function mostly with Howland Reed, otherwise they aren't showing much

Lannister:

• The Mountain that Rides
    • Knights of Casterly Rock
    • PoorFellows (in a High Sparrow List)
    • Guardsmen(+Captain)
    • Mountain’sMen
    • Pyromancers
    • Halberdiers
    • Crossbowmen
    • Warrior's Sons
    • Kingsguard(unit): A normal unit (12 wounds, can heal) with these abilities would be worth 10pts easily, but it has too many drawbacks making it fragile, which leads to handing those +2VP, inability to heal means all "automatic wounds" such as traps, Styr, Mountain or Giants, Stone Throwers are irreversible.

Neutral Units:

• Bolton Cutthroats
    • Bolton Flayed Men
    • Bolton Bastard Girls (1pt too expensive, perhaps due to out-of-faction combos)
    • Bolton Blackguards (Horrific Visage is not worth the cost over vicious, seems 1pt above their value...probably due to out-of-faction combos)

Night’sWatch Units:

• Sworn Brothers
    • Mounted Trackers
    • Stone Throwers
    • Veterans
    • Crossbowmen
    • Ranger Hunters (a bit pricy ?)
    • Conscripts (they would really benefit from Vows when a true brother is attached)
    • Scorpions (oddest unit, Crossbowmen seems to replace them entirely)

Free Folks

• Giants
    • Thenn Warriors
    • Cave Dwellers
    • Raiders (x2)
    • Spearwives
    • Trappers
    • Bonelord’schosen (Horrific Visage seem to be overcosted)
    • Bone Followers (same as above)

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 11-08-2019 at 10:44 AM.

I pretty much agree with all of that. I'd stick Nights Watch Ranger Hunters in red though. For 8 points I think they're too pricey. I'd rather save 2 points and run the Ranger Trackers any day.
    Chaos is a ladder.

I agree, but wanted more opinions as i have fielded them twice only. I was not impressed on both accounts. I'll change it to red.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 11-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.

the thenns are my fav unit rn. took my freefolk list from decent to great. I really like the freefolk heroes cards the team at cmon did a good job with those

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    the thenns are my fav unit rn. took my freefolk list from decent to great. I really like the freefolk heroes cards the team at cmon did a good job with those
    I wholeheartedly agree, the Thenns are certainly their best infantry unit by a long shot. The only thing i wonder is if they'll become a clutch seen in every single competitive Free Folk army list. They do exacerbate the "issue" i have with the Bone Followers...costing the same price and being nowhere near as useful (imho). What do you think of them?

Thenn are okay, but Cave Dwellers are still where it's at. One of the best units in the game for their price, imo
    Agreed re; Followers of Bone though, they're hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    Thenn are okay, but Cave Dwellers are still where it's at. One of the best units in the game for their price, imo
    Agreed re; Followers of Bone though, they're hot garbage.
    I love the Cave Dwellers for sure, but i've used them more as flankers than main infantry. The combo of both units is excellent as well (Thenns as anvils, Cave Dwellers as hammers).

i think the followers of bone are fantastic models, i love them, but im not sold on their card it doesnt seem worth it. Look i'm not saying they are bad they just dont follow my play style, id rather have thenns and cavemen. The bonemen are probably the best sculpts, maybe next to the stag knights. As far as utility goes I feel like the thenns and cavemen go hand in hand. The freefolk really check a few boxes for me so to speak, they are interesting models, fun to play, have great cards, and have interesting beasts. Those skin changers coming are some o f my most anticipated units. I'm planning on ordering a baratheon starter and the new hero box this weekend, so ill hold off judgement as far as ranking every unit in the game until i get some games under my belt with them! I would love to hear what others think about listing units though I love learning how others play the game. I've learned more from watching lets plays on youtube than anything. shout out to GmG and blitz! I've considered making some lets plays myself to help spread the word of the game!

Bone Followers suffer from a comparison to Thenns.

They have the same move, same dice on attack profile, but get +1 attack skill to hit in return for -1 defense. But then things go south: Thenns get +1 Morale, Taunt order and Set Defense, while Followers of Bone get...Horrific Visage. In my mind, the Horrific Visage ability is a cool idea, but it just doesn't work as it is. It's too unreliable and often encourage even more investment (attachments with panic fail triggers) to "perhaps" pay off. But then they cost 7+ points and we're in giant territory (or Thenns + Chosen)

It doesn't mean you can't field them and achieve something, but they appear underwhelming and i when fielded them...performed as such. I do agree their sculpts are great.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; Yesterday at 08:30 AM.