NW Builder Stone Thrower (v Bolton Flayed Men) - What I’ve learned?

Thread: NW Builder Stone Thrower (v Bolton Flayed Men) - What I’ve learned?

Default NW Builder Stone Thrower (v Bolton Flayed Men) - What I’ve learned?

I played a 50pt game v a Bolton Force with 1 unit of flayed men.

I deployed my Stone Thrower behind a convenient hill (ignore intervening terrain and units for LoS) on my right flank with a unit of Conscripts + Recruiter as protection.

Turn 1 - I went first (I’m just describing the Thrower related activity that I made not me or my opponents other stuff)
    1. NCU takes wealth zone to deny healing
    2. 2nd NCU takes combat section and triggers Thrower’s attack at the flayed men scoring 5 wounds.
    • The Thrower card says that it ‘May only be used once per round’ but I have seen nowhere where it states that zone effects don’t apply? This is critical to the value of the Thrower and probably due a ruling

3. Activate Thrower and miss.
    4. March conscripts forward 10” as cover (this was a mistake as they were within long-range of the Thrower)
    5. Flayed men manoeuvre and march 16” towards flayed men (10” from Conscripts).

Turn 2
    1. Flayed men successfully charge the Conscripts and whilst the unit isn’t destroyed this turn it brings the Flayed men within long-range of the Thrower where they remain for the rest of the game.
    2. I take the healing zone for Conscripts, and Bolton’s take combat zone and wipe out Conscripts.
    3. I’m forced to pivot my Veterans to deal with the Flayed Men threat which essentially ruins my battle line.
    4. Thrower takes out half of a Blackguard unit

Turn 3
    1. My veterans disorderly charge into the Flayed Men with a pillow fisted attack doing two wounds (because of lots of effects as well) but crucially the Flayed Men get the wealth zone this turn and have weathered the storm for the rest of the game.
    2. Thrower takes out half a unit of Cuthroats

Boltons go onto win the game as I run out of units.

So what have I learned?
    1. At 10pts the Thrower probably can’t beat the Flayed Men, also 10pts (and the type of target you take a Thrower for, but see 4 below) because even though it does wounds not hits the Flayed Men can weather the storm.
    2. The Thrower’s probably best placed in the centre of the army rather than a flank (where it is vulnerable to cavalry) so that your battle line can remain intact. And move the line beyond long range as fast as possible so you can shoot into combat if needed - Veterans should be able to cope with the ensuing panic test?
    3. Conscripts aren’t the speed bump I hoped they might be and I should not have moved them forward giving my opponent a route to close the range.
    4. If the Thrower can not use the combat zone then you have a 10pt unit with a 2/3 chance of activating each round. In a 6 round game thats 4 shots probably doing 5 wounds per hit circa 20 in the game. Perhaps the Thrower is best used 1/2 beating up units rather than killing elites?
    5. Without the combat zone activation I think the 10pts is probably better spent elsewhere and the unit becomes very situational. Although 20 wounds is 20 wounds.....

Just some thoughts for other Watch Captains.

Joken

Thanks for the experience & opinions. I havent painted mine up yet. I dont think it can be attack more than once per round including attack zone on tactics board as that's whats written on the card & prob why it was written that way. 20 wounds that ignore defense saves and can strike all the way across the table looks pretty good IMO. Othell spotting for rerolls even better.
    Last edited by Tony4095; 11-20-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Othell’s ability is only within long range and the Stone Thrower can’t target within long range ☹️
    No easy dice role too difficult......

I think u misread Othell. Othell the spotter is meant to be in a front line unit 12-24 inches in front of your Stone Thrower spotting targets for your Stone Thrower. That's how he works and is custom made to be your Stone Throwers best friend. The long range requirement is for the target to be within lomg range of Othell's unit (say some vets u put him in or Conscripts up ahead of your Stone Thrower). He is made specifically to boost the effectiveness of the 2 warmachines. Thats why everyone takes the dude with the ST. To maximize its effectiveness with its only 1 shot per round.

Yes I most certainly have been misreading his usefulness.

I have been playing Othell as the Commander (NCU) so that with Aemon I get two NCU’s for 4pts and have better control the Tactics board.

I shall try him as a forward observer as the re-roll does indeed change the STs effectiveness.

Thank you

Joken
    Last edited by Joken; 11-21-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    No easy dice role too difficult......

Othell is a great commander, my current favorite. Check him out with double Flayed Men. Sundering on Flayed Men, Sundering or Critical Blow or Vicious on Vets, his cards are all good & super easy to use. Not too mention the free NCU. I like to have 3 NCUs with him (Bowen if only taking 2, Bowen & Craster if u want 3).

Newbie, please be gentle sacrilege83's Avatar

Units only ever activate once per round, so I think it would be redundant to say that the Stone Thrower only fires once per round as a rule if while it still can attack again through a NCU or by tactics cards.

Besides that I think the Stone Thrower is still worth the bang for its buck just for the potential damage output before cavalry gets to it. I wonder how crossbowmen would fair as a speed bump if cavalry can only attack the Thrower by a singular predictive route? The cav would leave themselves open to crossbow fire first to go onto the offensive towards the Thrower.