Kallfa's WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kallfa's WIP

I think the scales look great! I love the way the edge hightlights fade into the shadows in his lower back.

If you want it less dirty/dry though, maybe try something a bit more colorful for a highlight? The light gray / white can chalk up a bit making it seem dusty I think, but it depends on what you are aiming for. If you tint it a blueish shade you might get a cold-scaled look.

Thanks for your feed back Gorb. I applied a blue shade and tryed to texturize. It needs more work in my opinion. These scales are giving me a headache, I don't know how to deal with them x).

Name:  wip12.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  514.7 KB
    Last edited by Kallfa; 11-26-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Well, I put aside scales for now. I worked on skin tones, legs and feet, and started to think about fabrics color.

Name:  wip13.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  450.2 KB

Really like the texture you have in the skin and the colors used as well. Maybe for the scales on the back use some green wash or glazes on parts of it to change it up some

Thank you for your feedback and the suggestion Epikage, I will bear it in mind.
    I kept painting the front cloth and nails last night, and added red tones on feet. I plan to start the head tonight.

Name:  received_499272907464732.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  52.8 KB

Very beutiful work mate!!!

Thanks ! This mini is an opportunity to try new things, and well, I'm having fun !

Head in progress :

Name:  wip15.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  589.4 KB

The head is almost done. I added blue tones for shadows, highlights and paint teeth.

Name:  wip16.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  373.6 KB

Body and head together :

Name:  wip17.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  475.9 KB
    Last edited by Kallfa; 11-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Really nice wok on the troll so far. I like all the textures you have worked onto the flesh. good stuff
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Thank you Coyotebreaks, I appreciate that. I worked last night on arms and hands, I also added base colors on the unpainted parts to have a global idea of the final render. Weapon is in progress at the moment.

Name:  wip18.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  582.8 KB

Lovely colour transitions. This Troll looks like on its way to be a real "masterpiece".

Thank you Graishak, that's very kind . Anyway, painting this mini is an instructive experience. I learnt some tips about complementary colors and I improved my texturization technique. But I hope I won’t spend so much time on the other two, I've lots of mini to paint ! xD
    Weapon is done btw :

Name:  wip19.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  728.7 KB

Nice looking troll. Wonderful tones & textures and great play of warm & cold colors.

Thank you SaintToad

The goblin is done. I redid the scales too, i found them too much dark. I added some green glazes to increase shadow areas. I casted myself the base, because I was out of square bases haha... I still have a few things to do, but it's almost over I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is looking fantastic, love the colour choices.

Thanks a lot Sigmar3!

I have finished this big guy (and probably his next meal). Below is the final picture, with a better light, it will be soon available in my gallery.

Name:  Kallfatroll1_2019_12_01.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  1.88 MB

That's a really nice looking piece you have there - honestly something I aspire to!

Question on your technique for the scales on his back: when did you add the colors in for the shadows of the scales? Was that one of the original colors that you airbrushed on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    Thanks for your feed back Gorb. I applied a blue shade and tryed to texturize. It needs more work in my opinion. These scales are giving me a headache, I don't know how to deal with them x).

Name:  wip12.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  514.7 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...wwsdower-s-WIP

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Okay, wow, that troll looks amazing (even under both lighting conditions)

That troll is awesome! So much texture going on, plus all the little highlights. I love your style.
    Even the chipped axe blade looks great.
    I'm going to have to look at this picture for a bit longer, and try and steal your secrets.

Many thanks all for your kind feedback, it encourages me to carry on ! The picture is avaible in my gallery btw : http://www.coolminiornot.com/443511

@AMRowwwsdower, I didn't use airbrush for the scales. To be honest, this is my least favorite part in my opinion. At the state of the picture that you quoted, I painted them with a blue/grey color, applyed a drybrush of light grey + red glaze between scales, before I applyed a blue+brown wash and highlights on the edges. But I wasn't satisfied with the result so I totally redid that part x).