Kallfa's WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kallfa's WIP

Nice work on the Troggoth - very Soperesque in the colour palette.

Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Kallfa View Post
    Many thanks all for your kind feedback, it encourages me to carry on ! The picture is avaible in my gallery btw : http://www.coolminiornot.com/443511

@AMRowwwsdower, I didn't use airbrush for the scales. To be honest, this is my least favorite part in my opinion. At the state of the picture that you quoted, I painted them with a blue/grey color, applyed a drybrush of light grey + red glaze between scales, before I applyed a blue+brown wash and highlights on the edges. But I wasn't satisfied with the result so I totally redid that part x).
    Haha, fair enough - I could see how that part might be really tedious and/or a pain to work with the colors on the scales. What approach did you end up taking?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

Know of a Way I Can Improve My Photo-Taking Skills?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

@Hairster : Thank you , in fact, my colour palette for the troll isn't so different as the one used for my squigs. I just tryed to make it more complex. Anyway, I'm glad that some people like it.

@Rowwwsdower : That part was a pain indeed ! After my first try, I applied a layer of diluted blue+brown paint, retryed a drybrushing, and started banging my head on the table because the result was disastrous ! I need better brushes for drybrushing, I guess. After regaining my calm, I applied another layer of blue wash and a second of green wash for the shadow areas. Right after, I added highliths again on the edges of each scale, and I fixed mistakes by adding dabs of blue paint, mixed with washes and water. In summary, it was long and tedious, and the result remains a little disappointing, in comparison with the desired goal.

Haha, I really do hate when one step throws off how you'd like a model to look.

In all honesty, judging from what I can see in the final pictures, I wouldn't have been able to tell you ran into that trouble at all. The troggoth looks gorgeous, and it's given me some ideas for my own projects!

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

Know of a Way I Can Improve My Photo-Taking Skills?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Thank you Rowwwsdower, anyway I'm going to try to do it again, for the better
    Having said that, the next one is launched !

Name:  troggoth02wip01.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  552.0 KB

a little more has been done... I feel tired this week, I’m not moving as fast as I’d like.

Name:  troggoth02wip02.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  560.2 KB

Still looks pretty darn good to me!

I like what I’ve seen of your style. I like how you use definite lines to show volumes & add some texture. Looks a bit like an illustration.

Thank you mates, I'm trying to refine my technique atm, to obtain a more subtle result. I'll show you that asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    I like what I’ve seen of your style. I like how you use definite lines to show volumes & add some texture. Looks a bit like an illustration.
    This is interesting, you're not the only one to make this remark. I also practice drawing and oil painting on canvas, I think it influences my work on minis, somehow.

Some progress has been made on skin tones (highlights, warm and blue glases), feet and fabric cloths need more work. Today I spilled half of my black ink Citadel pot... on my current troll! I saved it by throwing it immediately in my water pot (now he can swim). I really hate the retarded design of these pots...

Name:  troggoth02wip03.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  488.0 KB

By the way, I placed a big order of materials and tools, including a new airbrush which will replace my actual and creepy low cost one. I can't wait !
    Last edited by Kallfa; 12-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Seems like you're having "the flow" :-) Very impressive on which speed you're producing those.
    I'm looking forward to my X-Mas vacation in order to catch up a bit.

Great save there. I have to remember that - I also have a couple of older GW paint pots, and I sometimes use them. They are really badly designed.
    I love the way you shaded the cloth on this last guy, the shading looks super cool.

Real dynamite paintwork KaL!!!

you should’ve included in your order a shotgun to blow apart the citadel paint pots.

A shotgun seems to be the correct solution indeed. Thoses paint bottle are sooooo badlly designed...
    Glad you manage to save it!

Such a nice paint job, it would have been a shame.

Many thanks everyone, I really appreciate your support. It's good to be back in this nice community !

Quote Originally Posted by Graishak View Post
    Seems like you're having "the flow" :-) Very impressive on which speed you're producing those.
    I'm looking forward to my X-Mas vacation in order to catch up a bit.
    Thank you ! Well, I was thinking that I spend too much time on my minis haha, because when I see all the task lying in front of me, I'm growing impatient! It also scare me, because I know that I'm not really an armypainter... But I want to finalize that goal !
    To give you an idea of my mess, below is a part of what I have to do (half of the minis aren't on the picture : a part is wainting in their boxes and an other part needs that I strip paint off... But I a keep buying minis ! T_T)

Name:  painttask.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  622.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gorb View Post
    Great save there. I have to remember that - I also have a couple of older GW paint pots, and I sometimes use them. They are really badly designed.
    I love the way you shaded the cloth on this last guy, the shading looks super cool.
    Thanks Gorb! About the cloth, I started with a dark green, and I added a successive gradients by crossing fine lines on the sides to simulate a fabric texture, before I applied some brown and green glazes. Since thoses steps, I added a brown wash, to darken the shadows (+ some stains, trolls don't do the laundry).

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Real dynamite paintwork KaL!!!

you should’ve included in your order a shotgun to blow apart the citadel paint pots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter0015 View Post
    A shotgun seems to be the correct solution indeed. Thoses paint bottle are sooooo badlly designed...
    Glad you manage to save it!

Such a nice paint job, it would have been a shame.
    LMAO, I don't know why I didn't think of that ;p

Slow progress on the main body (but almost done), I think about applying more glazes on feet to have a softer result. I've also started painting the head :

Name:  troggoth02wip04.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  497.8 KB
    Name:  troggoth02wip05.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  624.8 KB

skintone is incredibly lively. Looks great

"(half of the minis aren't on the picture : a part is wainting in their boxes and an other part needs that I strip paint off... But I a keep buying minis ! T_T)"

I completely here you buddy... same here. Tons of minis... and I bought today Mollogs Mob... even knowing, that there is so much to do in the pipe ;-)