Price rise and exchange rate

Thread: Price rise and exchange rate

Default Price rise and exchange rate

CMON please re think the 20% price rise across the board. The fact that the units cost $35 and £35 GBP is a massive hike and in my local gaming area 40% off the players are walking away from the game.

Obviously your a business, and potentially the starter sets are now priced in line with the value, but me as a collector of all units cannot now justify picking up a faction every time it comes out. The casuals will walk away.. the Inbetweeners who have been on the fence due to distribution issues will not even dip the toe in.

Please re consider or use the exchange rate..

when do the price jumps go into effect? I watch them on amazon a few times a day they've been $23-29 for a while now, is this going into effect with tomorrows release? I plan on buying them in the morning and i've noticed the prices are a bit higher but they usually are listed higher before release then what they actually sell for. I remember hearing about price jumps back when the free folk came out through the hero 2 waves but never saw the price spike. I totally feel for players in Europe a dude told me boxes were around $50-60 in some places which is insane. Everyone told me war gaming was an expensive hobby but I feel like newer games like ice and fire and star wars L. are pretty reasonable, but if im being real $35 boxes will slow down the rate which I buy them. I always look for those days a box drops around $23ish unless its a really anticipated unit.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeyladbfp View Post
    CMON please re think the 25% price rise across the board. The fact that the units cost $35 and £35 GBP is a massive hike and in my local gaming area 40% off the players are walking away from the game.

Obviously your a business, and potentially the starter sets are now priced in line with the value, but me as a collector of all units cannot now justify picking up a faction every time it comes out. The casuals will walk away.. the Inbetweeners who have been on the fence due to distribution issues will not even dip the toe in.

Please re consider or use the exchange rate..
    $29.99 to $34.99 is 16%, not 25%.

But beyond that, even with an increase, this is by far the cheapest war game you can get into.

Beyond even that, you can blame import and tariff taxes for price increases across the board when it comes to all boardgames and wargame products.

Not in the UK or EU.. no extra rules/tariffs and it's gone from £28 to £35 and £80 to £100 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    $29.99 to $34.99 is 16%, not 25%.

But beyond that, even with an increase, this is by far the cheapest war game you can get into.

Beyond even that, you can blame import and tariff taxes for price increases across the board when it comes to all boardgames and wargame products.
    Erm... it really isn't. I can think of at least 5 game systems that I can buy a full force for at the same price of one unit box for ASoIaF. It really isn't cheap, affordable yes. I like the system, even though it has some very apparent balance issues, but a price hike pushes me over the limit, can't say I'll be making any further investments.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeyladbfp View Post
    Not in the UK or EU.. no extra rules/tariffs and it's gone from £28 to £35 and £80 to £100 in the UK.
    I am living in Germany and I don't see any of your mentioned price raises. For example @ fantasywelt.de the mojority unit box is still at 29,49 €.

Maybe it is just UK? And it is just because of your Brexit thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WinPin View Post
    I am living in Germany and I don't see any of your mentioned price raises. For example @ fantasywelt.de the mojority unit box is still at 29,49 €.

Maybe it is just UK? And it is just because of your Brexit thing?
    I live in Ireland, and the box sets are usually €45. So it isn't to do with Brexit, but a very strange price structure.
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehorse View Post
    I live in Ireland, and the box sets are usually €45. So it isn't to do with Brexit, but a very strange price structure.

It could be your local stores or regional suppliers. Here in Canada in the same city one store sells unit boxes for $30CAD, the other sells them for $40CAD

Erm... it really isn't. I can think of at least 5 game systems that I can buy a full force for at the same price of one unit box for ASoIaF. It really isn't cheap, affordable yes. I like the system, even though it has some very apparent balance issues, but a price hike pushes me over the limit, can't say I'll be making any further investments.
    I suspect when he said wargame he meant more of the mass army wargames, like Warmachine, 40k, AOS, kings of war etc.

I'm curious to hear what you feel are the glaring balance issues that the game has? Do you mean internal? External? I'd agree there's a couple units in the Free Folk and Nights watch that could use a bit of tweaking, but on the whole it seems like factions that have at least 2-3 expansions boxes after the starter (ie. not yet Baratheon or Targs) are competitively viable with at least a couple builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
    I suspect when he said wargame he meant more of the mass army wargames, like Warmachine, 40k, AOS, kings of war etc. I'm curious to hear what you feel are the glaring balance issues that the game has? Do you mean internal? External? I'd agree there's a couple units in the Free Folk and Nights watch that could use a bit of tweaking, but on the whole it seems like factions that have at least 2-3 expansions boxes after the starter (ie. not yet Baratheon or Targs) are competitively viable with at least a couple builds.
    Even than mass army wargames can be cheap. I'm a big fan of KoW, and I am looking forward to seeing how the Oathmark line of miniatures flesh out. As they are now, £25 buys my 30 hard plastic models with enough parts to make shield and hand weapon, shield and spear, or archer. They have the generic fantasy races. That is what I would call cheap, ASoIaF is far from that. Compared to GW and PP it might seem cheap, but that is a false equation as we all know that those two are the biggest offenders for overpriced models.

Regarding balance issues, it is to do with the sheer volume of special rules, and how they interact with each other. Tactic deck, tactic board, individual objective rules, unit rules, and character rules. They all add up and can cause some situations that are unbalanced. I understand that special rules are added to give a game 'flavour', just like salt is added to a meal to enhance the taste... but using too much of either ruins the product.Again, I do like the system, I just worry that CMON are like GW unable to show restraint when it comes to adding geographical layers of special rules that bring a game crashing down in a mire of FAQ's and rule issues.
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Even than mass army wargames can be cheap. I'm a big fan of KoW, and I am looking forward to seeing how the Oathmark line of miniatures flesh out. As they are now, £25 buys my 30 hard plastic models with enough parts to make shield and hand weapon, shield and spear, or archer. They have the generic fantasy races. That is what I would call cheap, ASoIaF is far from that. Compared to GW and PP it might seem cheap, but that is a false equation as we all know that those two are the biggest offenders for overpriced models.

Regarding balance issues, it is to do with the sheer volume of special rules, and how they interact with each other. Tactic deck, tactic board, individual objective rules, unit rules, and character rules. They all add up and can cause some situations that are unbalanced. I understand that special rules are added to give a game 'flavour', just like salt is added to a meal to enhance the taste... but using too much of either ruins the product.Again, I do like the system, I just worry that CMON are like GW unable to show restraint when it comes to adding geographical layers of special rules that bring a game crashing down in a mire of FAQ's and rule issues.
    Relatively new War Gamer, and only ever played 2 games, this and Mierce Miniatures Darklands, the latter is a great game but boy if you think the asoif models are expensive you wanna check out the Mierce Miniatures website, although they are pretty much constantly running special offers to offset the prices somewhat..

But back onto asiof, only played 2 games so far, have a Baratheon, Stormcrow and Bolton hybrid army, still learning the ropes with it, but in my last game I last massively to a Free Folk army, through Poor Dice rolls on my part, Porr Tactics, and a good chunk of my opponent using Death Star combos with Tactic Cards.. He almost seemed to have an endless stream of them....