Stannis's favorite bodyguards

Thread: Stannis's favorite bodyguards

Default Stannis's favorite bodyguards

I can't decide what unit suits him best: Stag Knights or Wardens?

Stag Knights are faster (that inch matter!) and punch much harder, but they cost a ton...and with Stannis in there, will be having a huge target mark. They can access 3 abilities on their last rank.

Wardens are super hardy with Stannis and can generate condition tokens that stannis likes for 5pts...but they are very slow.

Have you tried these?

P.S. I doubt that Sentinels are a good choice

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Stannis gives his unit Critical Blow with scales well with both the number of attack dice a unit can roll and the quality of the other keywords on that attack. Out of the box, Sentinels benefit from sundering and throw around 8 dice. Stag Knights only get 7 and they don't get Sundering until they lose a rank. Lastly to consider, Stag Knights are costly at a whooping 8 points but they don't have the durability or hitting power to justify that cost. Their text wants them to get bogged down in a prolonged engagement so they can benefit from the damage they suffer but unfortunately they don't have the staying power to actually last long once they start eating attacks from other power house units.

Quote Originally Posted by MechMage View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Stannis gives his unit Critical Blow with scales well with both the number of attack dice a unit can roll and the quality of the other keywords on that attack. Out of the box, Sentinels benefit from sundering and throw around 8 dice. Stag Knights only get 7 and they don't get Sundering until they lose a rank. Lastly to consider, Stag Knights are costly at a whooping 8 points but they don't have the durability or hitting power to justify that cost. Their text wants them to get bogged down in a prolonged engagement so they can benefit from the damage they suffer but unfortunately they don't have the staying power to actually last long once they start eating attacks from other power house units.
    Interesting to read for sure. With the new panic rules, it's a bit less of a problem to put a valuable attachment on a 7+ morale unit, too. I initially had discarded the sentinels a while ago due to that. You seem to doubt the value of the stag knights, i assume you wouldn't even consider the noble in there (putting them at 10pts)?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakwolf View Post
    Interesting to read for sure. With the new panic rules, it's a bit less of a problem to put a valuable attachment on a 7+ morale unit, too. I initially had discarded the sentinels a while ago due to that. You seem to doubt the value of the stag knights, i assume you wouldn't even consider the noble in there (putting them at 10pts)?
    Free attacks are very powerful and dealing the unit two wounds synergizes with Stag Knights' Unwavering Fury but two points is very expensive for an attachments. The ideal opponent for Stag Knights would be a unit that can hit them hard enough to hurt them without killing them instantly but still wants to fight them instead of just sitting on an objective and relying on a passive ability for attrition. Nights Watch Veterans, Stark Sworn Swords, Thenn Warriors and Warrior's Sons all fit the bill but none of them are popular in the metas I've seen. The Stag Knights don't want to fight tough point sitters, who won't bother attacking them to begin with, or powerful alpha strikers, who have a good chance to wipe them out on the charge with the right tactics empowering them; both are very popular. All that is reasons not to take Stag Knights to begin with.
    Now suppose you've decided that Stag Knights fill a niche in your list that you need filled. In the popular two list format that isn't hard to imagine. Maybe you've had trouble with a NW player or two who make heavy use of veterans or your local free folk player has discovered how to use Thenns very effectively. If you know you're facing such an opponent when you use a list, then I would consider the Stag Noble, especially if you're already planning on saving Baratheon Conviction to protect your Knights. He'll let your Knights wear through the natural resilience and healing of these problem units with additional attacks. He's also got good potential vs Lannister Halberdiers which I expect to be more popular with the 1.5 buffs since he makes the unit hit even harder when charging into them.
    In conclusion, the Noble makes the Stag Knights better at what they're good at. How valuable that is depends heavily on how much you want what the Stag Knights bring.

That's good piece of analysis right there; If you think you'll need Stag Knights, might as well bring he Noble to enhance their purpose. I am still a bit nervous with a 7+ morale unit harboring Stannis, but wardens are very slow.

The 1.5 Halberdiers will definitely find echo with more players now. They're custom-made to serve as Tywin's bodyguard as well.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 12-09-2019 at 09:22 AM.