Rowwwsdower's WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rowwwsdower's WIP

Thank you both for the compliments and input! Duly noted regarding the face details and shading.

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

Have Tips for My Photo-Taking Skills?

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

I thought I have post a comment in here already... Let's fix that!

First and formost: welcome to the hobby! You'll see, it start small'n all, and after some time, you'll find yourself with a shelf full of mini you had to buy (for which you won't find the time to paint as quickly as they piled up)

Anyway, the two wizards looks already nice.
    Il like hte work you've done on the red cloak, and the fire bird too.
    And that lava projection is quite something already!

I'm looking forward to see how it ends up.
    Lava is really hard to paint (for me anyway).
    Try to gathered some reference.
    When I have a new idea for a project, I usually create a table (not sure if its how it's called in english) in pinterest and start agregating pictures in it. It helps me figuring how I should approach it, and usually give me more ideas...

Some general notes/advices:
    As already said by others, an easy an quick way to add definitions to the skin/head is to use shades (the ones from Army Painter are really good for that), but you need to have a thin base for it to work, because if you paint your base color to thick, it will obscure the details of the sculpt and the shade won't work as well as it should.

Contrast, contrast, contrast. That's something I struggle with to, but it is needed, because the miniatures are so small, we need to exagerate the contrast to help the viewer read the details (easier to say than to do though).

Create base for each mini:
    If you paint for gaming, you may want to keep it relatively small and simple, but if you paint for display, thant YOU HAVE TO create a base for each and every one of your minis (just kidding of course).
    I personnaly love to do it and I try to create a base that tell a story. It helps me define the colors I will use on the mini, and in hte end, hte mini is not just out of context once finished (just like you did with the lava). Just my 2cents though.

Dexter, thanks for your input and your compliments!
    I use Pinterest to gather inspiration as well, but I hadn't thought of collecting lava reference images there. Thank you for that idea!

I'll have to look into the Army Painter skin tone shades! Been hearing a lot about those. I also definitely agree with you about the bases telling a story. I've been trying to do that more lately.

Regarding contrast, do you think the OSL effect, combined with some purple- or blue-tinted shadows, would look good?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

I never really try to paint an OSL (yet).
    But theorically speacking: you have a red cloak, and I imagine you would paint the OSL refering the fire bird in the mage's hand.
    I would approach that by exagerating the shadow in the cloak's recesses using a cold color (a dark blueand/or a dark purple for exemple), as yellow/orange/red are warm colors.
    I think, the more contrast, not only in color, but also in "temperature", the better it should look.

I would agree with you! I tried watering down some purple ink to tint the cape's shadows last night. And then I watered down some yellow ink to do the same with the lit sections. I'll post it on here within the next couple of days - I'd like yours and others' feedback on how it turned out.

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

As promised, here's the newly glazed cape. This is my first time working with inks, so I don't really have a frame of reference for what I did well on this or what could be improved. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Name:  IMG_20191213_131826_893-01.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191213_131033486-01.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  5.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191213_131036827-01.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  5.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191213_131056836-01.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  6.6 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

Excellent work!
    The only Thing that can add to the realism would be to try to fade the light reflexion on the cloak to simulate a circular glob of light where the center is the fire bird.

Thanks for the input, Dexter! So, question on the fading the light reflection: how would I convey a really strong glow while also showing that the light is radiating out from a single point (which is the phoenix)?

And I suppose I have a similar question for facial details: with my mage's face being very close to the light source, and knowing that my light source is going to be really strong, what are some ways that I can convey the strength of that light on the face without covering up the details?
    Last edited by Rowwwsdower; 12-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

Good questions!

For the fading part, I would use glazes of cold and dark color to simulate that the opposite side of the cloak recieving less and less light.
    Try to look for reference pictures of candle or get inspired by others works like this one for exemple:

https://images.app.goo.gl/vK4qyY847i67KaSs6

For the face you can find some nice tutorials on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DR573EnCSU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFnajb7PXo

This OSL wip turns into nice render. Purple glase brings a lot already. For completing Dexter, you can also find on pinterest some osl pictures collection. I often use this source to find inspiration.
    I look forward to seeing your next progression about the face

I do like those tutorials - I had seen Squidmar's already, but not Marco's!

And I like your style, Kallfa - I use Pinterest as well.

Yeah, I've been putting off the face unintentionally. I know we talked about how to do skin tones (specifically the face) very early on, and I plan to use yours and others' advice on it. I've just had a lot of fun doing this OSL on the cape so far, so that's where my attention's gone.

That being said, I think I'm going to try and do the hair before doing the face, just because I don't want a stray brush stroke to slip onto the face while I'm working on the hair. If a stray stroke lands on the hair, I think it'll be a lot easier to fix than vice versa.
    Last edited by Rowwwsdower; 12-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    I do like those tutorials - I had seen Squidmar's already, but not Marco's!
    [...]That being said, I think I'm going to try and do the hair before doing the face, just because I don't want a stray brush stroke to slip onto the face while I'm working on the hair. If a stray stroke lands on the hair, I think it'll be a lot easier to fix than vice versa.
    Yeah, Marco does some brilliant work. He does make it look almost too easy, which it isn't of course

As for which part to do first, I always find it is easier to cover up light paint with dark paint, than to cover up dark paint with light paint, so I fully agree with you: do the hair first

That's similar to what I was thinking, Gorb. Glad to know I'm developing some painting instincts.

Update: eventually, I'd like to create a diorama with the phoenix mage in the middle of a smoking crater. And I'd like the OSL effect to be strong enough to convey that she was the one who ripped a hole in the battlefield with the phoenix that she just conjured.

As such, I wanted to up the OSL effect even more. I didn't think I could up the OSL effect, but it turns out I could up the OSL effect lolol. I coated the rest of the miniature in a mix of Vallejo violet ink and some dark gray acrylic, to continue the shadowing effect I began on the cape. I plan to add in some additional gradients in those shadows, making some parts a darker, more saturated purple, and others a more desaturated, lighter grayish-purple.

These photos also include some subtle highlights that I was doing on the face of the miniature last night - let me know if you think more work needs to be done on the highlights on the face, or elsewhere on my mage. (I personally think there needs to be. I don't think the face's highlights match the OSL effect on nearby areas of my mage, I think the light makes its way down a bit too far on one side of her chest, and I think the OSL effect on her staff can be upped a bit more.)

I plan to do eyes, eyebrows, and lips next.

Also, looking at the pictures, I realize they may be a bit small. Let me know if it'd be better for them to be bigger.
    Edit: Well that's embarrassing lol - turns out these pictures look the same size as my other pictures, and they just look small in the post editor instead of in the actual post. Please ignore the above statement hahaha.

(I find it cool to compare the progress from one week to the next)
    Name:  IMG_20191220_064015.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  963.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061835-02.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  866.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061759-01.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  868.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061745-01.jpg
Size:  823.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061740-01.jpg
Size:  841.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061737-01.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  800.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20191220_061835-01.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  865.7 KB
    Last edited by Rowwwsdower; 12-20-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: rookie mistake

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

Really wonderful play on light!!!

Nice contrast indeed.

The front looks odd though. The OSL seems to short on this side. I would add some lights on the top edge of the left arm, the extremity of the staff, and some of the top edges of the elements on the front (belt, ...).
    Since the light is strong enough to illuminate all the surface of the cloak, it should also illuminate more parts of the front.

Welcome to the forum. The cloak is really looking nice.

As for the air brush, if the clogging is mostly when you use the apple barrel point it may be because they use a larger pigment.

Thank you all for the compliments!
    Dexter, I completely agree that the lighting needs to those places you mentioned as well. Not sure if I'll be able to get the pictures up today, but I've been working on getting the lighting to be a bit more consistent.
    KruleBear, that was my initial thought too. But after playing around with it, cleaning it (sonic cleaner with a mixture of water and airbrush cleaner liquid and then taking an airbrush cleaner brush to the insides), and then immediately putting some Vallejo airbrush primer in it, my airbrush still experiences backflow. I did some asking around and found that it may be due to a damaged seal. I just haven't gotten around to trying to fix that, what with the limited amount of time I have to hobby during the week.

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

Turns out I was able to finish off the last of the cape this morning! I've been playing around with a different style on the OSL for the cape, trying to see which style I like. Let me know your thoughts on this style versus previous ones.
    Name:  IMG_20191224_084457.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20191224_084029-01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  681.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20191224_084042-01.jpg
Size:  633.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20191224_084048-01.jpg
Size:  654.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20191224_084057-01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  646.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20191224_084100-01.jpg
Size:  648.8 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread
    Instagram

- Zap Rowsdower

I absolutely love this row and this version is the most natural and realistic!!! Thumbs up