Rowwwsdower's WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rowwwsdower's WIP

Have to agree that last pic there looks really good for the OSL on the cloak

I really like this last version, it's a great improvement !

Pretty impressive. The effect is really believable on this last one. Great job!

She's definitely on fire! Nice job!

Thank you all! Definitely seen a progression in my painting skill as a result of the feedback I've received here, so thank you all for that!

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun."

- Zap Rowsdower

Put in some more work on this mini today, mainly working on some transitions between the lit areas and shadowed areas, and redoing the phoenix. Critiques are definitely welcome!

Name:  IMG_20191231_201038-01.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  880.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20191231_201028-01.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  814.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20191231_201019-01.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  812.0 KB

Name:  MVIMG_20191231_201009-01.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  885.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20191231_200959-01.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  844.0 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

- Zap Rowsdower

Love the shading on the figure, it is looking better and better with each update!
    The transition between the warm glow and the cold shadow is pretty much perfect.

About the only comment I have is to be careful with the white on the bird itself.
    If the pure white falls into shadow (due to being inside a recess on the model) then it starts to look plasticky (look at the wings for example).
    To combat this, I'd leave the white in only in the recesses, and put the yellow on the raised surfaces, and always be blending to the tips of the wings towards the orange.
    Caveat: I may be wrong about this, it is my gut feel...

Thanks, gorb!

And I would definitely agree that the recesses in the phoenix presents a problem for my paint scheme. I'm hesitant to put yellow on the raised surfaces, though, just because the impression I'm going for is one of blinding fire, like the below pictures. And I think to do that, I need a primarily white area surrounded by yellow. What do you think, though?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

- Zap Rowsdower

I would say maybe have the high points of the phoenix with a bit of orange in them, maybe just a glaze on the outer edges to give that transition effect. Right now the phoenix seems a little off to me because it is just yellow and white. But keep at it as the figure does look really good!

I think that if you take a look at the photos you attached, you can see a similar problem there: In the top image the white is almost too white, it looks washed out. In fact, the top image flame and the phoenix almost look similar right now, don't they? The bottom image looks much better because there is a variation / transition going on from the hottest part to the outer parts. There is no hard edge and definitely no shadows.

Usually we expect to see shaded recesses, so if they don't seem to have shadow (being very bright) then we expect them to be light *emitters*. However if the raised areas around the recesses are brighter (ie. when you paint them the same white, and the recesses get their natural shadow) then the recesses appear less bright to us, and it spoils the effect. You have to *force* the recesses to be brighter by painted the raised areas around them darker (ie. yellow).

I faced the same issue with the green powersword on my grey knight, where the green reflection on the ground below didn't look right until I *darkened* the are surrounding it, to make the reflection appear brighter

So to summarise I think that if you kept pure white only in the recesses, that would make the recesses (ie. the deepest parts) look bright, as if they had their own light, and if you then glazed over yellow, and like @ekipage suggested transition to orange on the extremities, that would sell the effect.

But as usual, a strong caveat: I haven't painted this kind of flame before, so I will not be offended if you totally ignore everything I just said
    I have only ever seen others do it, for example, Darren Latham has a pretty amazing tutorial on YT specifically about painting a flame:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BURQWUHLWY

Whatever you decide, I look forward to seeing you paint this up!

I will add to that others already said.
    For me the pheonix is too white.
    I understand what you try to achieve, but I think at the moment, the point of light is way to bright in regard of the surrounding arreas affected by it.

I think you doesn't have to do much though.
    I watched the miniature of the video @gorb gave you as an exemple, and you can see the result.
    On a relatively small flame, Darren go from almost pure white to almost pure black. So if you treat your phoenix the same way, it should sell the effect.

gorb and Dexter, thanks for the input!

Sorry for the delay - had limited access to a computer earlier in January.

gorb, I tried out that method of using white in the recesses and yellow on the raised errors, and I like the way that looks!

Dexter, what do you think about brightening the spots where the light hits? How would that look in your opinion? I kind of like the phoenix at the intensity it is now.

Also, I started on another mini just to give myself some variety. As always, input's greatly appreciated, as I'm trying to learn the ropes and increase my skills!

Name:  IMG_20200122_160043.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  696.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20200122_160050.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  671.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20200122_160055.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  677.9 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

- Zap Rowsdower

I love the design ideas I have implemented and love

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    gorb and Dexter, thanks for the input!

Dexter, what do you think about brightening the spots where the light hits? How would that look in your opinion? I kind of like the phoenix at the intensity it is now.
    Try it. The main idea, I think is to have something consitant between the light source and the light casted on the surrounding elements and the shadows casted.
    The more brighter is the light source, the more the surronding elements should be bright.
    And the shadows marked also, I guess.

Love the violet cape on the new mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowwwsdower View Post
    ... gorb, I tried out that method of using white in the recesses and yellow on the raised errors, and I like the way that looks!
    Great! I'm happy if I gave you advice that worked for you
    Can't wait to see your progress on this.
    The new mini looks cool, what is it?

Dexter, that makes sense - and thank you for the compliment on the violet cape!

And gorb, the new mini's a dwarf paladin from Nolzur's.

Speaking of, here's some additional progress on that mini - any suggestions for him?
    Name:  IMG_20200126_012225-01.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  IMG_20200126_012222-01.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  IMG_20200126_012210-01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  907.7 KB

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

- Zap Rowsdower

Your Phoenix-Lady is developing quite well.

Nice start on the dwarf as well. Just wanted to point out not to start too many projects... otherwise you will be lost soon.
    I guess we're all in the same boat here... so many minis waiting for some love and so little time to spend ;-)

you picked some good colours for the dwarf, they work well. look like your well on the way with him. just keep on working on the contrast
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Graishak, thanks for the compliments and the tip. Haha, I know what you mean about not starting too many projects. I've started to loop back around to some of my previous minis - I'm someone who needs variety in order to remain inspired/motivated, and I think I've spent enough time away from those previous projects to gather together the drive to make progress on them.

And Coyotebreaks, I appreciate it! Do you have any suggestions for upping the contrast?

Rowwwsdower
    WIP Thread

- Zap Rowsdower