Does Cut them down stack?

Thread: Does Cut them down stack?

Default Does Cut them down stack?

If 2 unit with cut them down are engage to an enemy unit which failed a panic test, does it suffer 2X cut them down?

With the new 1.5 panic would be 1D3+1+2+2?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullarchitect View Post
    If 2 unit with cut them down are engage to an enemy unit which failed a panic test, does it suffer 2X cut them down?

With the new 1.5 panic would be 1D3+1+2+2?
    Abilities with the same name don't stack, so I don't think so, no

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    Abilities with the same name don't stack, so I don't think so, no
    Stacking usually refers to bonuses and penalties with the same name so don't know if suffering damage from two sources with the same name counts as stacking. For example, if a unit marches across two pieces of dangerous terrain, each deals d3+1 wounds even though they share the Dangerous keyword as the source of that damage. The real question is whether Cut Them Down! increases the amount of wounds a unit suffers by two or if it deals a new instance of two wounds triggered by the first instance of wounds taken. Since it uses the word 'additional' instead of 'increase', I think it could be reasonably interpreted either way.

If CTD said "Whenever an enemy unit engaged with this unit fails a panic test, it suffers 2 wounds" I would agree with you.
    However, since it says Additional wounds, it's an effect that's applied to the results (like Horrific) and doesn't stack.

I agree it's not super clear, though.

The way I like to think about it is basically that same named abilities don't stack on a single unit, but that doesn't mean same named abilities can't trigger off the same event. For example, 'Cut Them Down' is being applied to a single enemy unit, so even if they are engaged by both Sander and Ramsay (non cmdr), only 1 instance can be applied. However, lets say 2 prey on fear units are engaged with an enemy that fails a moral check, both can trigger off that event, since both instances are being applied to different units, not both on the one.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    If CTD said "Whenever an enemy unit engaged with this unit fails a panic test, it suffers 2 wounds" I would agree with you.
    However, since it says Additional wounds, it's an effect that's applied to the results (like Horrific) and doesn't stack.

I agree it's not super clear, though.
    If CTD read "Whenever an enemy engaged with this unit fails a Panic Test, they suffer 2 Wounds." then it would be interpreted as "2 Wounds instead of the difference between their Panic Test result and their morale."
    The use of "additional" makes this interpretation clearly not what is meant so I don't think it can be used to determine that CTD is a bonus instead of a separate instance of wounds.

Stacking is accumulating. A unit cannot use 2 times "cut them down" but if you're engaged with 2 units with this ability this is not stacking for each unit has one ability.