Affiliation mechanic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affiliation mechanic.

Default Affiliation mechanic.

Good Day!
    This question is about House Cligan Mountains Man, House Umber Berserker and Great Axes, House Tully Sworn Shields and Cavaliers and Crannogmen. Does this units have innate Affiliation (because they have House X in the Name of unit), or they need specific attachment, such Great Jon Umber, Mira Reed or Sandor Cligane?

Nope. Unless an attachment or ability grants a unit an Affiliation, they do not have one natively.

Note that this is different from a unit's faction, which is innate and can't (currently) be changed. For example, you can't add Ramsay Snow, Sadist, to a unit of Sworn Brothers and make them a Neutral unit. They're still a Night's Watch unit, just with a Bolton Affiliation.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

Quote Originally Posted by serbaelish View Post
    Nope. Unless an attachment or ability grants a unit an Affiliation, they do not have one natively.

Note that this is different from a unit's faction, which is innate and can't (currently) be changed. For example, you can't add Ramsay Snow, Sadist, to a unit of Sworn Brothers and make them a Neutral unit. They're still a Night's Watch unit, just with a Bolton Affiliation.
    This is absolutely incorrect. House Clegane Mountain's Men and House Tully Sworn Shields are absolutely House Clegane and House Tully units respectively.

Affiliationn is an Ability, not a game term, that says you count as X, which interacts with effects and Tactics Cards.

Yeah, strike that--reverse it. Specifically, Tully Valor references a House Tully unit, but I didn't see any abilities that confer that Affiliation to a unit. Which means that it must be innate.

Out of curiosity, where is that noted in the rulebook? I did a scan, but obviously missed a reference.
    Last edited by serbaelish; 12-17-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by serbaelish View Post
    Yeah, strike that--reverse it. Specifically, Tully Valor references a House Tully unit, but I didn't see any abilities that confer that Affiliation to a unit. Which means that it must be innate.

Out of curiosity, where is that noted in the rulebook? I did a scan, but obviously missed a reference.
    Again, Affiliation: X is an Ability, it isn't a game term.

Bryden Tully (The Blackfish) has the Ability "Affiliation: House Tully"

Quote Originally Posted by Alliser Thorne View Post
    Again, Affiliation: X is an Ability, it isn't a game term.

Bryden Tully (The Blackfish) has the Ability "Affiliation: House Tully"
    Okay, so the interaction there is that Brynden's commander card confers the Affiliation, which is only going to be useful since Tully Valor is specific to his tactics.

In theory, if Tully Cavaliers were being fielded without Byrnden as commander and a tactics card referenced a Tully affiliation, would it still be applicable?

So, does they have innate Affiliation when you playing tactic cards? For example, we have Crannogmen unit and Meera Reed, who has Affiliation ability. We put Meera, for example, in Stark Bowmen and use Crannogmen unit without any attachments. Then, we playing tactic card "the threat unseen". Are they both Crannogmen unit for this card, or just Bowmen? If you have any reference in rulebook or FAQ, it'll be a great help.

If a unit has "House Clegane" in its name, it's a House Clegane unit for the purpose of tactics cards. So too for House Umber, Crannogman, House Tully, House Bolton, Bloody Mummer and Stormcrow.

Does it have any mentions in rules? Or FAQ?

Did not find anything in the rules but I think that common sense is required. For me that means the affiliation ability of attachments can turn stark units into boltons or lannisters into cleganes. This way those units may be adressed by effects of tactics cards referencing the affilitation. A Stark unit with Ramsay would still belong to the Stark faction and would not be converted to a neutral unit. It makes perfect sense that units have a house affiliation clearly defined by their name. For instance Bolton Blackguards can be adressed by effects of tactics cards referring to house bolton without having Ramsay attached

But faction is specified by the symbol on unit's card. By that logic Knights of Casterly Rock haven't Affiliation to house Lannister (I mean not Faction, but affilation) because they haven't "House Lannister" in the name.

Because you cannot have Affilation to Faction (at least yet).
    Affilation - is ability that adds keyword to unit so it can be affected by some cards.

So, name of the unit is keyword?

There is no strict definition in rules of what is keyword and what is not.
    Name of unit can be keyword for some cards

But it must be somehow written in rules or somewhere, because exsitence of Affiliation abilities by some commanders are confusing.

Abilities is something that alter rules.
    Ability "Prey on Fear" for example is not mention in rules.
    Ability "Sundering" is mention in rules only in examples.
    Why ability Affilation should be written in rules?

I understand, how this ability work. I don't understand, why unit's name must be a keyword for triggering effect of tactic card. I always thought, only ability counts.

You can use analogue.

There are cards such as Robb Starks unit.
    So - name of unit/attachment can be keyword.

There is nothing in rules that name cannot affect cards and abilities.
    In card anatomy (Combat Unit Card Front page 8) "Unit name" even have separate definition.
    Last edited by Valenae; 12-20-2019 at 06:11 AM.

I agree with EnumaElish, the rules aren't 100% clear. For example, what about the Crannogman Warden, does a unit with him in it count as a Crannogman unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrus View Post
    I agree with EnumaElish, the rules aren't 100% clear. For example, what about the Crannogman Warden, does a unit with him in it count as a Crannogman unit?
    Based on how all the other attachments with an Affiliation ability are set up, I’d say no.

He’d count if there was something that looked for Crannogman Warden’s unit, but not just a Crannogman unit.

I think it’s safe to assume that if it’s in the name of the unit, not an attachment, that they are considered to have that affiliation.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”