What size tables do you use?

Thread: What size tables do you use?

Default What size tables do you use?

I'm curious what size tables most of you use when you play.
    In my experience smaller tables (like a 4x4) tends to benefit elite armies like the NW because they can use the edge of the table to effectively guard their flanks.
    Larger tables likely benefit FreeFolk horde armies since they usually outnumber and can get deploy wide enough to threaten a flank.

I personally prefer a larger table, because I find it makes deployment more interesting since you actually have a choice where a unit goes.

What are your thoughts?

We pretty much exclusively use a 4x4, mostly 'cos it's easier to find space, and a 6x4 feels kinda empty.
    I think FF are fine on a 4x4 at up to 40 points, but if we played larger games I might try to play on a 6x4.

I’m lucky enough to own a 6x4 game mat, along with a table that can support it.

While I use the mat every time, we don’t always play with the full surface available. It’s been a pretty even mix of the full table for large point values and/or more than two players. 4x4 for smaller battles. And even sharing of the mat to have two battles going on at once on a 3x4 space.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    I’m lucky enough to own a 6x4 game mat, along with a table that can support it.

While I use the mat every time, we don’t always play with the full surface available. It’s been a pretty even mix of the full table for large point values and/or more than two players. 4x4 for smaller battles. And even sharing of the mat to have two battles going on at once on a 3x4 space.
    Do you find table size influences the games tactics or army play styles? As a Free Folk played I wouldn't be able to even deploy my army on a three point table

So far all my games have been 40pts, so played on a 4'x4' table. Sometimes it is hard to fit all the Freefolk on that size, especially missions that have a 6" deployment zone.

Looking forward to being able to do bigger games and play on a 6'x4' table, think that will add some very nice tactical options, allows faster units to not get hemmed in
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

I definitely find that it influences both the tactics and the play styles. Even army size is a factor. Either in deciding what size field, or based on what field we are restricted to (in the case of having to share). I wouldn’t ever go above 30pts in anything where two people are sharing a 6’ side, whether that be 2 battles, or a 4 player battle. And, to me, 50pts starts to get kinda cramped on a 4x4 field.

We’ve had times where it’s been crowded enough that units have wasted activations because there was no where they could go, unless they wanted to back up. It even became a strategy to try and create that for the other player.

The other thing I do, if I feel it’s going to be cramped, is look at the units I plan on including in my army a bit differently. Suddenly that higher cost unit doesn’t look so bad. Or that extra NCU. Usually it’s a nice ranged unit that can hang back out of the way.
    House - Ravenhurst

We keep it to 40pts and 4'x4' seemed to be the best as otherwise we've figured that cavalry is too good dominant on a 6'x4' one.

No problems with Free Folk either.

I haven’t played mine yet, but I think the Stone Throwers would benefit greatly from a larger field. Deploy them last, burying them deep in whatever corner puts them the furthest from opponents units, especially the mobile ones.
    House - Ravenhurst

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    I haven’t played mine yet, but I think the Stone Throwers would benefit greatly from a larger field. Deploy them last, burying them deep in whatever corner puts them the furthest from opponents units, especially the mobile ones.
    That will work very well, just be careful against the Freefolk, Jarl can be good at shutting down isolated units in corners.
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Very true. Likewise, Outriders under the Blackfish could cause similar headaches. Both would need to be taken into account, if they were part of the opposing force. Tho I will say that holding the Outriders back has not had a high success rate for me. Can’t speak to Jarl, as I dont play Free Folk.

But that all come down to knowing your opponent, yourself, and the battlefield. The deployment choices you make on a 4x4 field could be very different from the ones you make on a 6x4 fields. Even with everything else (players, armies, terrain, scenario, etc...) the same.
    House - Ravenhurst

4x4, anything bigger can risk going rounds wothout ever reaching one another. I played a FF / bara game on a 6x4 and we finally reached each other round 4 lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    4x4, anything bigger can risk going rounds wothout ever reaching one another. I played a FF / bara game on a 6x4 and we finally reached each other round 4 lol
    Did you deploy along the 4’ edge?

We always deploy along the 6’ edge. That way the distance to the opponent is the same, you just have more room to spread out.
    House - Ravenhurst

one of us did which causes it, was with a new player and didnt want to helicopter parent them but was also lowkey like "this will be remembered"

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    one of us did which causes it, was with a new player and didnt want to helicopter parent them but was also lowkey like "this will be remembered"
    Please tell me they were playing Jon Snow... lol
    House - Ravenhurst

Have been playing 50 point armies on a 6x4 always enough room, a smaller army would on that size would at risk of easily being flanked..

i play with my grandpa on his 8 ball pool table lol so we could easily do 4x6 longways down the table, but we just dont have enough time on our hands so usually keep it 4x4 which fits perfectly aha. never tried a bigger game but ive always wanted to. pa is FF im NW and we have all the current bolton army units so theres that as an alternate army.

how many activations do you have may i ask? pa plays FF and usually has about 8 not including NCUs

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom74 View Post
    how many activations do you have may i ask? pa plays FF and usually has about 8 not including NCUs
    Imo FF should have 7 combat units at a minimum, preferably 8+

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    Imo FF should have 7 combat units at a minimum, preferably 8+
    aha i meant to reply to gallahads message saying that they use the free folk lol, thanks though

im still getting used to how to talk on this site...