Claiming objectives with FreeFolk

Thread: Claiming objectives with FreeFolk

Default Claiming objectives with FreeFolk

I feel like I'm most games I have played, the choice is: Claim an objective and get charged OR Wait and charge the unit that claimed the objective.

My trouble is that if I claim an objective and get charged, by the time it is time to score objectives, I almost always have fewer ranks left than whoever charged me, so I never get to score the objective since it is contested.

If I instead wait and charge whoever takes the objective, I can sometimes deny them the objective by causing enough casualties, but not always.
    Basically, I understand how to play denial with FF, but struggle to do enough damage to wipe out units.

What do you guys do in these situations? Do I misunderstand something about the new 1.5 rules for Game of Thrones?

Best advice is to accept that FF are not very 'killy', they are not playing to wipe out units. Camp Raiders on some easy objectives, send the rest of the force out to deny objectives, if you can do this and have units Infront of your campers it helps to keep them safe. Use the numbers and activation superiority to force the opponent to be reactionary. This way we can dictate the ebb and flow of the battle. One good way to do this is to move so e units with Raid Leaders very close to an enemy unit camped on an objective. Only pounce once the opponent has used all their activations, then charge them both in. Sometimes the threat of having units close to their unit holding an objective can make an opponent make a mistake. If they do capitalise on this.

Just remember, Free Folk don't need to kill units to win, just damage them enough to make sure we can stop them claiming objectives... sadly not the most thrilling of gaming experiences, but given that our units for the most part couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bag, and our Tactics Deck is mostly useless, it is what it is.
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehorse View Post
    given that our units for the most part couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bag, and our Tactics Deck is mostly useless, it is what it is.
    Raiders might be rubbish at killing things, but Cave Dwellers are lethal and Styr helps even Raiders out

Basically, I understand how to play denial with FF, but struggle to do enough damage to wipe out units.
    Generally FF don't play the kill-things game. You want to bog down the enemy with Raiders and force them to waste their time killing your stuff rather than claiming objectives.
    Ideally, you have a second unit in-front of whatever is claiming your objectives, tying up and distracting the enemy units.
    If you can't do this, keep in mind that you can often retreat and still stay on an objective (just move an inch backwards) - this can let you claim objectives after being charged even if you only have a couple of Raiders left.

Keeping your more dangerous units (like Cave Dwellers) in reserve ready to counter-attack enemy units that go after your units that have claimed objectives can help you a lot, too.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Retreating out of combat to continue to hold an objective and trying to force enemy objective holders to take a flank charge are both good tips.
    With the plus one to hit on the second unit, two units of raiders can do some damage, especially if I give them fury of Thenns or have a chosen of Styr handing out weakened tokens.