Night King & White Walkers

Thread: Night King & White Walkers

Default Night King & White Walkers

Has there been any news or rumors on if there is going to be a White Walker faction with the Night King as their Commander?

Doubtful, especially as the book doesn't have a Night King... nor White Walkers, they are just called The Others.

It would be very nice to see a faction for them, but I suspect that their power level would be bonkers!

However, if they just had say a force of freshly raises dead, that might be workable. The only commanders and characters would have to be NCU's to keep it balanced.
    The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Nothing that I have heard.

I would imagine that White Walkers are a given for being in the game at some point. However, unless the books change, I don’t think we’ll specifically see the Night King. In the books, they have no clear leadership structure or named individuals at this point. Just that White Walkers make the wights, and there are ice spiders...
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

I don't think it will be a faction any time soon. Maybe whenever winds if winter comes out so 2 to 3 more years. I see this question all the time on reddit and other places...it seems people forget this is based on books and not the show. So likely more like vampire undead horde. My bet is possibly as a balance no ncus at all but have all kinds of special shenanigans rule.
    I think well see grey Joy's next year and then 1 more faction and I am sure the hope is others but my bet is the old hobbit will not have published book 6 so Martel as the final faction. Than 2.0 if we're really lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion=Heroes View Post
    I don't think it will be a faction any time soon...I think well see grey Joy's next year and then 1 more faction and...Martel as the final faction...
    This sounds about right. I wouldn't expect to see units of dead men or models of the Others until the game touches all the great houses of Westeros. Even though my faction of choice already released, I would actually be a little annoyed if we saw that stuff any earlier. As it stands, Baratheons and Targaryens are still fresh and need to be filled out with more unit options. Then it looks like there will be some Tyrell units available as part of Renly's forces. So perhaps they will be sort of like what Tullys are in Starks; a handful of units you can definitely theme an army around, but not their own faction (i'm ok with this).

I actually thought we'd see Greyjoys before Targaryens, as the introduction in the rulebook is all about setting the scene for the War of the Five Kings, introducing us to the major belligerents. So far, we got 4 out of the 5 on the table, plus the king beyond the wall, so I thought we'd see Balon and the Greyjoys for sure right after the Baratheons. But I could see how Targaryens would generate more excitement. I would guess that there are more Targaryen fans than Greyjoy fans, but I am looking forward to seeing some Greyjoy models and how they are going to represented in game terms, since they are more into raiding than pitched battles.

Then sometime after Greyjoys, probably Martells like Lion=Heroes said. That would be awesome, as they don't get nearly enough attention imo. I'd also like to see some mounted knights of the Vale of Arryn as a neutral unit perhaps. So yeah, undead/others are hardly even a thing in my mind, compared to all of this other stuff that should be given higher priority.

i think we will see them at the end of the games life if cmon renews the rights for asoiaf. but i dont think they will be a player faction rather an "AI" type mechanic for a pve mode. The night king was made for the tv show but the writers of the tv were also informed about pretty much all of the major plot points of the final two books, and while their ending is watered down and rushed it is also the cannon ending as far as who ends up where. My guess as a fan of the lore is we will see a night queen instead of a night king as leader of the others, asoiaf is heading towards a war of queens which would reflect the opening of the stories war of the five kings and the base of the actual night kings lore comes from the night queen. It depends where grrm takes the next book, and the team at cmon have said they can only do whats in the books. Its not liekly the game will be in print long enough for this to unfold in the books and even more unlikey grrm will finish the final book. imo he expanded the story way too much in 4/5 and has written himself into a few difficult positions, first being weaving together so many characters into a satisfying conclusion and the second being actually physically manufacturing/printing a book the size it would take to fit all of the characters. This is actually a whole topic someone did the math on in a youtube video and its pretty much impossible to print WoW in a traditional single book, which grrm insists on. So its very unlikely we'll see them in the game, but if i had to guess theres a playable version the dev team play around with. A long night game mode with dragons and ice spiders would be dope tho, a big part of the idea of this game is remaking the story with what ifs and alternative outcomes such as what if ned lives or what if tywin lives ect, so naturally people would want to recreate the ending. (i personally enjoyed season 8 but most people didnt) From a war gaming perspective the army of the dead is a no brainer, from a copyright issue it might be impossible rn but idk

It would be very nice to see a faction

Quote Originally Posted by AnorexicShark View Post
    i think we will see them at the end of the games life if cmon renews the rights for asoiaf. but i dont think they will be a player faction rather an "AI" type mechanic for a pve mode. The night king was made for the tv show but the writers of the tv were also informed about pretty much all of the major plot points of the final two books, and while their ending is watered down and rushed it is also the cannon ending as far as who ends up where. My guess as a fan of the lore is we will see a night queen instead of a night king as leader of the others, asoiaf is heading towards a war of queens which would reflect the opening of the stories war of the five kings and the base of the actual night kings lore comes from the night queen. It depends where grrm takes the next book, and the team at cmon have said they can only do whats in the books. Its not liekly the game will be in print long enough for this to unfold in the books and even more unlikey grrm will finish the final book. imo he expanded the story way too much in 4/5 and has written himself into a few difficult positions, first being weaving together so many characters into a satisfying conclusion and the second being actually physically manufacturing/printing a book the size it would take to fit all of the characters. This is actually a whole topic someone did the math on in a youtube video and its pretty much impossible to print WoW in a traditional single book, which grrm insists on. So its very unlikely we'll see them in the game, but if i had to guess theres a playable version the dev team play around with. A long night game mode with dragons and ice spiders would be dope tho, a big part of the idea of this game is remaking the story with what ifs and alternative outcomes such as what if ned lives or what if tywin lives ect, so naturally people would want to recreate the ending. (i personally enjoyed season 8 but most people didnt) From a war gaming perspective the army of the dead is a no brainer, from a copyright issue it might be impossible rn but idk
    Season 8 sucked big time....

Biggest let down, the Night King, I know he's not in the Books, but in the show he was, and a lot of the story throughout the seasons is that Winter is Coming, meaning the White Walkers will be abroad, hell even the very first scene in S1E1 was of the White Walkers, that's how important they were to the shows plot line...

And what happens when winter finally comes, the Night King is killed in his very first full on battle beyond the wall by a Ninja jumping girl doing a lame knife trick... wtf... The season could have been so much more...

I think the biggest reason (speculation hat) is that the last book has not come out yet. That book will likely hold more detail on the white walkers than all others combined...so by that time, CMON will be done with their current roadmap (9 factions), and they might decide to make a faction or not by then.

It'll also depend on how to make it thematically sound, fun to play with and against and add something to the game that hasn't been done yet.

A leaderless army would require special effects for commanders, morale, NCUs and the effect of the tactic board in a game with them. Surely the crown wouldn't have the same effect vs undead as vs the living.
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 01-28-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Do you think there is any chance they will also make as a separate faction the mighty Vale of Arryn? I'd love to see a Knights focused faction! Or maybe they will be added as Neutral units? I really hope for the Martell and the Greyjoy as following factions and maybe some new units for the first and second gen. factions in the "near" future
    PS: sorry for the little OT, I got carried away ^.^"

I don’t think Arryn will be their own faction. Odds are that if they make it into the game at all, it will be as Neutrals. They kept to themselves more than anything.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Still good enough for me I'd like a whole faction but even as Neutrals they would be awesome!