Shields of the realms of men

Thread: Shields of the realms of men

Default Shields of the realms of men

Someone brought something interesting up in conversation tonight that I’d like to verify.

I know you can’t play the card to block 2d3 ( provided you control the bag) because the timing for the vow trigger has passed.

My question is if It’s possible to use a Shields I have attached to block d3 ( I control the bag) then play a second one from my hand to block a second d3?

would I have to block the first d3 before dice are rolled since I’m being attacked which is the vow trigger. Then play the card from hand after attack dice are rolled to block the second d3?

Quote Originally Posted by Kras418 View Post
    Someone brought something interesting up in conversation tonight that I’d like to verify.

I know you can’t play the card to block 2d3 ( provided you control the bag) because the timing for the vow trigger has passed.

My question is if It’s possible to use a Shields I have attached to block d3 ( I control the bag) then play a second one from my hand to block a second d3?

would I have to block the first d3 before dice are rolled since I’m being attacked which is the vow trigger. Then play the card from hand after attack dice are rolled to block the second d3?
    Believe this falls under Simultaneous Actions, so both the tactic card and the vow would resolve on the same trigger. So you should be able to block d3 twice.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

The FAQ specifically states that the reason you can’t resolve both effects when playing the card from hand is that the trigger for the vow part has passed so they don’t share a timing.

Oh yeah, of course. But I was speaking to your question: if you have the Shields card attached and play a second one from your hand. Should be the same window to trigger the existing vow and the new card.
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger

Which is what I had originally thought as well. His explanation is that that vow trigger isn’t the same and since they don’t have a timing conflict it is possible to block the d3 using the vow portion and then move on to the trigger and timing in order to play it from hand which would block a second d3. I’m not sure I completely agree with that but I want to be 100% because it’s an insane interaction if that’s how it works.

doesn t the only one rule of same effect trigger in?

Both effects are shields of the realms of men
    Triple F.

Fight F@k Fight

How I see it, it boils down to this:

Are the auto-blocks a singular event in resolving blocks, or not.

If there is a hidden (currently non-existing rule "bullet point") in attack resolution about "resolving auto-blocks", then it would be case of same named effect stacking, so you would only get it once even in this scenario.
    But as there is no such resolution phase (singular moment) as per rules, where you resolve all accumulated auto-blocks, it would seem that you resolve them immediately when they happen / are triggered.

The trigger moments in the "Shields of the realms of men" are different:
    - For Vow - is attacked = (by FAQ this means) before attack dice are rolled.
    - For Tactics card = after attack dice are rolled.

Vow part is (unintuitively) always per rules (with help from FAQ) triggered, resolved and thus rolled before attack dice are rolled (meaning you roll auto-blocks already before you even have seen any hits rolled!). And as rule book nor FAQ does not mention when auto-blocks are resolved, it indicates they are resolved immediately, as they are triggered.

So with this RAW logic, you get one D3 before attack dice are rolled (for the Vow), and then one D3 after attack dice are rolled, if you have this as a Vow and still play second copy as a Tactics Card.

If you roll the "Shields of the realms of men" as a Vow after attack dice are rolled, by RAW, you are cheating. You should have rolled it before; and maybe it would have affected enemy (or your own) re-roll decisions on the said attack!
    Last edited by Fronx; 01-31-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Thank you Fronx for putting into words what I couldn’t your explanation is exactly what we were talking about.