How is 50% charge alignment measured?

Thread: How is 50% charge alignment measured?

Default How is 50% charge alignment measured?

When one unit successfully charges another, it is either aligned so that it has 50% contact with the defender or 100% contact. If both faces in contact are the same length, this is simple, but what if the bases are different sizes or one unit is attacking the flank of the other? In that situation is contact measured to be 50% of the attacker's face or 50% of the defender's face? I've seen people insist both ways. There's a diagram on page 15 of the rulebook of one unit 50% aligned to another's flank but I've seen it summarily dismissed as poorly, incorrectly aligned. How should the alignment be done?
    Name:  flankalign.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  11.3 KB

You align based on the defender’s tray. Otherwise you’ll run into issues where you can’t fit more than one regular sized tray engaged along the flanks.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

Quote Originally Posted by AlxRaven View Post
    You align based on the defender’s tray. Otherwise you’ll run into issues where you can’t fit more than one regular sized tray engaged along the flanks.
    I thought not being about to engage more than one unit of the same size on a unit's side was intentional but maybe it's meant to be the other way.

I would think that if it was intended that you can only have one unit on a flank, then they would have just said you have to 100% align when attacking the flank.

Also, as a general rule, I assume the info in the rule book - including pictures - to be accurate. Unless there is errata. The rule book has been revised enough times now that if the multiple pictures were a mistake, I would think they would be fixed by now.

That being said, they could have done a better job on the alignment wording. I can see how it could be interpreted multiple ways.
    House - Ravenhurst
    Sigil - Black raven on a copper field, clutching paintbrushes
    Words - “We do not Highlight”

The pic is inaccurate
    Red unit center is touching edge of white unit (when it is in flank)