Painting a Great Eagle from LOTR, and getting more interesting tones in "Browns"!

Thread: Painting a Great Eagle from LOTR, and getting more interesting tones in "Browns"!

Default Painting a Great Eagle from LOTR, and getting more interesting tones in "Browns"!

My latest live session focused on how you can get more interesting colors in what might ordinarily be considered a monochrome or limited palette piece.

Check out the live session here as I show how to get more interesting shades of "brown": https://youtu.be/7Uq-F3mQ7IY

Name:  E 1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  705.3 KB
    Name:  E 2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  489.2 KB
    Name:  E 3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  481.0 KB
    Name:  E 4.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  487.2 KB
    Name:  E 8.jpg
Size:  518.2 KB
    Name:  E 10.jpg
Size:  475.4 KB

Brown is a complicated color. I find it one of the more subtle and deceptive colors. Some browns are more like dark golds or dark yellows. Other browns are more like dark reds, oranges, or maroons. Still other browns are more towards the green/olive spectrum. And some browns, like burnt umber, actually act like a dark purple.

One of the most vibrant browns I ever did was when I based a satchel in dark violet, and highlighted it in a gold ochre. It was such a rich shade, almost like old book leather.

Thanks so much!! I really had fun painting this guy :-)

Yes indeed! As I was going through the live session, I was showing all the different ways to mix interesting browns, as opposed to just taking it out of the jar. There are so many wonderful variations on brown that are a snap to mix! :-)