Virus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus

Default Virus

Well the UK government has shut down London’s theatres for the first time since WW2.
    Golden demon has been cancelled and I’m guessing the other big painting shows will follow.
    Won’t even get started with the panic buying in the shops.
    i reckon we’re only a week or two away from total curfew.

ive been told I won’t get paid if my company is forced to shutdown. Which is a total disaster for me but I know others around the world are having much much worse so it’s keeping me level headed.

Very worrying
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Hi yes it is very worring, I hope this will turn around soon but I cant say that I think so. I myslef can work from home at the moment atleast and are one of the lucky in that sense. I do belive this will have a big economical effect around the world.

Just take care all.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

It’s a lousy situation.
    And the whole management of it isn’t really helping.
    So many rumours and misinformation about things isn’t helping anyone.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Adepticon was cancelled here in Chicago. Things are bad, but look at it this way. At least this gives us time to paint.

Well in the UK
    Sword and Lance - Suspended until October (ish)
    Salute - Cancelled
    London Toy and Model Show - Cancelled
    Several IPMS shows - Cancelled

That's going to hit the business side of our hobby badly, just as being unable to earn anything is already hitting the consumers.

If you have the time and are safe enough, without negelecting family who need support, paint and try to relax.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

I’m just glad I’m no longer working as a registered nurse. Sounds crazy out there going by accounts of friends who still are. Unless there is something the governments of the world aren’t telling their peoples I don’t understand why influenza and other viruses don’t have the same response. All viruses, all can be fatal. Similar death rates. Why grind the world to a halt for covid19? Now Ebola....I can understand.

The common cold and influenza viruses are established and enough people have temporary immunity to them. That means the spreading of those viruses can be handled and the health care system can provide for those who get seriously ill (common influenza is just as deadly, if not more so, than covid-19). But this virus is totally new, which means no one is immune to it. Thus, spreading of the virus can get completely out of hand and the health care system unable to care for all the serious cases. That is why!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

yep, no immunity as it's a new strain.

Also not similar death rates. Influenza has about 0.1%, this one... depends... in South Korea it seems to stabilised at 0.6% (6 times as lethal), on average it's at 3% (30 times as lethal) and for some reason in Italy it's around 7% (70 times as lethal than normal).
    What's worse is the serious case %, that's at 20%. The real problem starts when that 20% overwhelms the health care system. (that's why they try to isolate people, not to not get the infection, but to spread it in a longer period, so they don't run out of resources)
    Of course most say, that the serious/fatal cases affect mostly people above 60, but for some on this forum that's not really a good news, others... might go through it without even really noticing (I hope this happens to most of us).

Also spreads like wildfire even before symptoms, so by the time you start having them you already infected others.

But the biggest problem is that people behave like idiots (all the toilet paper hoarding that I don't understand, fighting in shops) and either act completely ignorant or in total panic.

edit: funny thing is that what makes most people mad (self isolation) doesn't really affect us as painting is already an indoors+relatively lonely hobby. Sucks without the competitions/shows, but we could attend 2-3 at most in a year anyway, rest of the time painting was done at home alone.
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 03-18-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Well the only show in the immediate future for me was an IPMS one in April, they say it is still a go right now (expecting that to change though) and then the next one is in September so hopefully will be better off by then. But honestly with the hygiene of some people at these gaming conventions/painting shows (at least ones I have been to), I would probably stay away regardless if the all clear hasn't been given.

I was trying to read an online piece from a Doctor in France, but I was struggling with some of the terminology.
    But one of the things that she was suggesting (I think) is that there is a possible correlation with older people (65 and above) having been heavy smokers or around heavy smoking for most of their lives which could be a factor on reduced lung capacity and therefore the effect on people who have developed issues because of smoking or environmental breathing factors is more severe.

EDIT:- TURNS OUT THAT ARTICLE HAS BEEN DISCREDITED, OR AT LEAST PUSHED AWAY AS A ‘FRINGE THEORY’

I'm not sure on how accurate that article was but, hey I fall into the category of being around heavy smokers (23 years of my parents and up until 1996 in a work environment) AND I have Asthma and a bad habit of forgetting to put my mask on when Priming. Yeah I know I'm a Dumb Bunny.

My father has COPD and at 87 is in a higher risk group so I'm bring him down to stay with us, just so that IF anything does happen we're immediatley on hand instaed of 160s mile away.
    (And to our American readers 160 miles doesn't sound far but with the wonderful state of our motorways (Freeways) {Don't get me started on the concept of Smart Motorways} that's can be anything up to a five hour journey. Not good if you're trying to get across country in a hurry.)
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 03-21-2020 at 04:24 AM.
    , and proud of it.

Been on those motorways before, I think the only ones I saw maybe worse sometimes were when I would hit a Stau (traffic jam) when in Germany. Hope everyone stays safe from this illness though, so wishing you all the best!

People won’t build up an immunity unless there is exposure. Exactly. We all had to get influenza A and B for the first time and death rates are equal and even higher in some regions. So why is the response to Covid19 so radical? Swine flu?.....nada. SARS...barely an eyelid bat. Having seen many an internal health department memo I always worry when the general public is being told not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    People won’t build up an immunity unless there is exposure. Exactly. We all had to get influenza A and B for the first time and death rates are equal and even higher in some regions. So why is the response to Covid19 so radical? Swine flu?.....nada. SARS...barely an eyelid bat. Having seen many an internal health department memo I always worry when the general public is being told not to worry.
    I’ve been trying to understand so much of the background on this.
    IF I’ve read things correctly (?) this is not like ordinary ‘flu, but a Novel virus..ie a completely new strain of virus which ‘possibly’ has crossed a species boundary.
    Coupled with what seems to be a long exposure, incubation to infection period has made the pandemic wider reaching.
    , and proud of it.

Practice good hygiene guys and avoid being one of the bat shit crazy people hoarding resources and spreading panic (that would be better if they shut down facebook). It had started calming dow, but Illinois has ordered shelter in place starting today, so the crazies will probably pick back up again.

We have been designated as critical to the food chain, so I am spending more time at work....no painting time for me. And sadly no Adepticon to blow off steam next weekend.

If anybody wants me to get pissasssed drunk and make crazy videos of me actin the fool to give some sunshine I’m taking a poll!!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    If anybody wants me to get pissasssed drunk and make crazy videos of me actin the fool to give some sunshine I’m taking a poll!!
    Didn’t we see that video at Crystal Brush a few years ago?

Worst is yet to come. That's is why we need to follow safety precautions imposed by the government to avoid the worst situations. After all, it is for our health and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    This one is a lot more infectious, and we don't have enough data yet to know if we can build an immunity from exposure.
    People don't get strong immunity to the flu, which is one of the reasons why every year there's a new Flu vaccine - evidence is pointing to Covid being the same.
    The hope is that we can develop a vaccine that gives a reasonably strong immune response, perhaps one that lasts a year or more, but at the moment we just don't know.

The radical Cov19 response is separate to all that though - this virus is particularly infectious, and has a relatively high chance of requiring serious medical intervention. The reaction is largely to slow the spread of the disease and prevent healthcare infrastructure from being overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    This one is a lot more infectious, and we don't have enough data yet to know if we can build an immunity from exposure.
    People don't get strong immunity to the flu, which is one of the reasons why every year there's a new Flu vaccine - evidence is pointing to Covid being the same.
    The hope is that we can develop a vaccine that gives a reasonably strong immune response, perhaps one that lasts a year or more, but at the moment we just don't know.

The radical Cov19 response is separate to all that though - this virus is particularly infectious, and has a relatively high chance of requiring serious medical intervention. The reaction is largely to slow the spread of the disease and prevent healthcare infrastructure from being overwhelmed.
    Partial Immunity (like against normal flu) yes, total one (like against some of the 'eradicated illnesses') no. Yes that means it will return year and year again, hopefully with a lesser effect.

It's not that people don't get a strong immunity against flu, but it mutates every year enough to be like new. Same with this one... also that what makes vaccine's a bit of a problem, they protect quite good against the known strain, but new year, new strain, what with luck is similar enough to grant a partial immunity.

Also a problem that it is quite stealthy. you can have it and infect others for 2+ weeks without knowing and in about 30% of cases you can go through without any symptoms (but still infect others, for who it may be deadly).
    + It's not LARGELY to slow the spread and prevent HC overload, but ONLY. Since January it was beyond stopping, slowing it is the best we can do.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Well when I started this thread I had a feeling I would suffer somehow from all this and I was sadly correct.
    Thankfully my family and I are healthy so that’s the most important thing.
    The bad news = for the first time in my life I lost my job
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.