set for charge

Thread: set for charge

Post set for charge

Hello there! So, when i am plaing set for charge by Tully can i make range attack
    Attached Images Attached Images  

While ”charge attack” is somewhat undefined game term, it is quite clearly stated in the rule book, that in charge you resolve a melee attack.

So no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronx View Post
    While ”charge attack” is somewhat undefined game term, it is quite clearly stated in the rule book, that in charge you resolve a melee attack.

So no.
    Ok, i should explain my case in a different way. So, lets imagine as a defender i have archers whith attached Tully commander on the table and my opponent desided to execute Charge action agenst this archers. As we know from rules Charge action is ansepareted move. So, for my opinion in the moment of player declare charge it woud be try to say defenfer is charged, thus, archers can make range attack, are they ?

No, this is not played when the charge is declared but when the unit is charged which is a notable distinction.

The unit moves into contact, and before they make their Attack with the Charge Bonus ("Charge Attack") you get to attack them with a melee weapon since you are now engaged and unable to use ranged weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Kraken View Post
    No, this is not played when the charge is declared but when the unit is charged which is a notable distinction.

The unit moves into contact, and before they make their Attack with the Charge Bonus ("Charge Attack") you get to attack them with a melee weapon since you are now engaged and unable to use ranged weapons.

This is correct. To amend to this why above is correct. The card triggers matter:

Set for charge trigger is quite clear and specific: "When friendly, unengaged unit is charged from the front". The charge happened, you are engaged, no way to make ranged attacks as it requires to be unengaged.

The effect you want exists for example in Nights Watch Builder Crossbowmen.
    There the trigger is quite clear and specific too (and different from above): "When this unit is targeted for a Charge from the front". The Charge is targetting, but has not thus happened yet, so there is time to shoot.

Thanks guys for comprehensive answering
    Last edited by 5goril; 03-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.

It was well answered with a no, but in my head, it’s like an ambush. The archers are set for a charge, before they reach you, you let loose a volley of arrows, make sense to me. Not arguing just being themey

Well, there is an ability that allows for it: "Ready! Aim! Fire!"
    "I did warn you not to trust me." -Littlefinger